Noah Levine

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
negative.pixel

Noah Levine

Post by negative.pixel »

I was wondering if anyone here was first exposed to Buddhism by Noah ro his books; or if anyone knows much about him.
bodom

Re: Noah Levine

Post by bodom »

negative.pixel wrote:I was wondering if anyone here was first exposed to Buddhism by Noah ro his books; or if anyone knows much about him.
Dharma Punx was one of the first books on Buddhism I had read. It was like reading my own autobiography. He is an excellent teacher for the younger generation of Buddhists.

http://www.dharmapunx.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

:soap:
i was in the punk scene in the 90s touring with bands, writing for zines, publishing zines etc, his idea of punk to me and to many of the bands associated with it( i know this cause we've had a good laugh at his description of the scene) is not punk, its just thuggery, violence and substance abuse. he does the whole scene a disservice really.

his actions in teaching dharma and meditation prior to being qualified also make him somewhat suspect in my book

i see him as a spoiled kid of somewhat famous new-age parents who went "off track" then used his parents connections to break into the spirituality scene
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
bodom

Post by bodom »

He is trained to teach by Jack Kornfield of Spirit Rock Meditation Center in Woodacre, CA. Im interested what your source is for the statement concerning his teaching before being qualified. I couldn't find any info regarding this.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

look at the timeline of his activities, he had his little cult of personality going prior to training with kornfield
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
bodom

Post by bodom »

jcsuperstar wrote:look at the timeline of his activities, he had his little cult of personality going prior to training with kornfield
Im sensing a little hostility here lol. Im not sure about the whole time line thing, but honestly this is the fist ive heard anything suspect about him. He leads retreats all over im sure something would have came to light by now.

- BB
Clayton

Post by Clayton »

I remember in one of his talks he talked about how he started a study group when he was 7 years into practice instead of waiting 10 years like was expected. (I think I am remembering this correctly.) I enjoy his teachings I find his talks kind of run together... but he has a good message. I think he has brought buddhism to people who would otherwise never have heard of it.

With metta,

Clayton
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

jcsuperstar wrote::soap:
i was in the punk scene in the 90s touring with bands, writing for zines, publishing zines etc, his idea of punk to me and to many of the bands associated with it( i know this cause we've had a good laugh at his description of the scene) is not punk, its just thuggery, violence and substance abuse. he does the whole scene a disservice really.

his actions in teaching dharma and meditation prior to being qualified also make him somewhat suspect in my book

i see him as a spoiled kid of somewhat famous new-age parents who went "off track" then used his parents connections to break into the spirituality scene
How does one "qualify to teach?". This concept is alien to Theravada. Theravadins just share whatever they know or when asked to do so. This is unlike Vajrayana where one can't teach unless authorised by one's teacher (I think).
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

pilgrim wrote:

How does one "qualify to teach?". This concept is alien to Theravada. Theravadins just share whatever they know or when asked to do so. This is unlike Vajrayana where one can't teach unless authorised by one's teacher (I think).
its not really alien!
Ajahn Chah didn't allow sumedho to teach until his 5th Vassa, if someone is still in training they don't teach.
Sharing an experiance or a possible insight isn't the same as teaching, and there is the 'in training' period for monastics, and the same would be true for laity.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
withoutcolour

Post by withoutcolour »

I read Dharma Punx (which although having a good message and being a good story, was a little bit of a whine-fest).
I also listen to Levine's dharma talks, which I enjoy. His relaxed way of explaining things (while remaining true to the dharma) is informative and can be amusing. I like how he refers to the Buddha as "Sid" and his followers as "his homies", haha. He definitely has respect for the Buddha and the dharma, but doesn't take himself too seriously.
But he is not my one source for the dharma, I use his talks to supplement my other teachings. His talks are just a nice relief from some of the more serious brain-bending talks.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
AnonOfIbid

Post by AnonOfIbid »

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

In light of the recently tightened guidelines around the Discovering Theravada forum, there is nothing further to be obtained through this discussion.

Discussing Noah Levine is not discovering Theravada.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."