Will you be born in high class?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
thang

Will you be born in high class?

Post by thang »

The Shorter Analysis of Deeds, MN 135
Take some woman or man who is obstinate and vain. They don’t bow to those they should bow to. They don’t rise up for them, offer them a seat, make way for them, or honor, respect, esteem, or venerate those who are worthy of such. Because of undertaking such deeds, after death they’re reborn in a place of loss … or if they return to the human realm, they’re reborn in a low class family …

But take some woman or man who is not obstinate and vain … Because of undertaking such deeds, after death they’re reborn in a heavenly realm … or if they return to the human realm, they’re reborn in an eminent family …
What do you think?
"Bhikkhus, whatever the Tathāgata speaks, _ all that is just so and NOT otherwise."
SarathW

Re: Will you be born in high class?

Post by SarathW »

Because of undertaking such deeds, after death they’re reborn in a place of loss … or if they return to the human realm, they’re reborn in a low class family
I believe this.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
binocular

Re: Will you be born in high class?

Post by binocular »

thang wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:36 pm The Shorter Analysis of Deeds, MN 135
Take some woman or man who is obstinate and vain. They don’t bow to those they should bow to. They don’t rise up for them, offer them a seat, make way for them, or honor, respect, esteem, or venerate those who are worthy of such. Because of undertaking such deeds, after death they’re reborn in a place of loss … or if they return to the human realm, they’re reborn in a low class family …

But take some woman or man who is not obstinate and vain … Because of undertaking such deeds, after death they’re reborn in a heavenly realm … or if they return to the human realm, they’re reborn in an eminent family …
What do you think?
1. How does this apply in modern multicultural, multireligious settings (many of us live in such settings)?
In these settings, there are very different ideas about who deserves to be respected and who doesn't. Whose idea is right? Following whose idea will have the kammic consequences as noted above?

2. All kinds of people believe they deserve to be respected and bowed to (literally or at least mentally).
If I don't show special respect and deference to, for example, the local Catholics and Muslims, does this mean I will be reborn in a low family? If some Hindus visit the country I live in, and I don't crawl before them, does this mean I will be reborn in a low family?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!