The Drawbacks & Dangers of Sensual Craving

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
Polar Bear

The Drawbacks & Dangers of Sensual Craving

Post by Polar Bear » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:18 am

This thread is for posting stories of craving gone horribly wrong, thus illustrating the drawbacks of sensuality and promoting insight into the insatiable nature of craving.

Billionaire Diamond Trader Dies During Penis Enlargement

A billionaire diamond trader went to an upscale medical clinic in Paris for a penis enlargement and wound up dead — the victim of a fatal heart attack, which reportedly struck while he was under the knife.

Ehud Arye Laniado, 65, ultimately died from complications during surgery, according to local media reports.

The Belgian-Israeli dual national was said to have suffered a deadly heart attack just moments after getting an unknown substance injected into his penis.

Citing Belgian media reports, The Sun on Wednesday claimed Laniado was a victim of the so-called Napolean complex — meaning he was obsessed with his small size.

The diamond trader “always focused on his appearance and how others perceived him,” according to one friend, who spoke to Belgian’s GVA newspaper.

He reportedly checked his bank account “multiple times a day” just to make himself feel better.

“It turned out that he did have some talents,” explained one friend. “Internationally, he was one of the biggest experts in valuing raw diamonds.”

While Laniado’s net worth is unknown, he has been forced to hand over more than $5 billion in penalties to Belgian authorities after getting into trouble for tax evasion. His company, Omega Diamonds, confirmed his death in a statement Wednesday.

“Farewell to a visionary businessman,” the statement said.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/06/billionai ... nt-report/
Dhamma Summary: ‘The world is wanting, insatiable, the slave of craving.’
You also said this: ‘The world is wanting, insatiable, the slave of craving.’ How should I see the meaning of this statement?” “What do you think, great king? Do you dwell in the prosperous land of Kuru?” “Indeed I do.” “What do you think, great king? Suppose a trustworthy and reliable man were to come from the east. He’d approach you and say: ‘Please sir, you should know this. I come from the east. There I saw a large country that is successful and prosperous and full of people. They have many divisions of elephants, cavalry, chariots, and infantry. And there’s plenty of money and grain, plenty of gold coins and bullion, both worked and unworked, and plenty of women for the taking. With your current forces you can conquer it. Conquer it, great king!’ What would you do?” “I would conquer it and dwell there.”

“What do you think, great king? Suppose a trustworthy and reliable man were to come from the west, north, south, or from over the ocean. He’d approach you and say the same thing. What would you do?” “I would conquer it and dwell there.” “This is what the Buddha was referring to when he said: ‘The world is wanting, insatiable, the slave of craving.’ And it was after knowing and seeing and hearing this that I went forth from the lay life to homelessness.” “It’s incredible, Master Raṭṭhapāla, it’s amazing, how well said this was by the Buddha. For the world is indeed wanting, insatiable, the slave of craving.”

This is what Venerable Raṭṭhapāla said. Then he went on to say:

“I see rich people in the world who,
because of delusion, give not the wealth they’ve earned.
Greedily, they hoard their riches,
yearning for ever more sensual pleasures.

A king who conquered the earth by force,
ruling the land from sea to sea,
unsatisfied with the near shore of the ocean,
would still yearn for the further shore.

Not just the king, but others too,
reach death not rid of craving.
They leave the body still wanting,
for in this world sensual pleasures never satisfy.

Relatives lament, their hair disheveled,
saying ‘Ah! Alas! They’re not immortal!’
They take out the body wrapped in a shroud,
heap up a pyre, and burn it there.

It’s poked with stakes while being burnt,
in just a single cloth, all wealth gone.
Relatives, friends, and companions
can’t help you when you’re dying.

Heirs take your riches,
while beings fare on according to their deeds.
Riches don’t follow you when you die;
nor do children, wife, wealth, nor kingdom.

Longevity isn’t gained by riches,
nor does wealth banish old age;
for the wise say this life is short,
it’s perishable and not eternal.

The rich and the poor feel its touch;
the fool and the wise feel it too.
But the fool lies stricken by their own folly,
while the wise don’t tremble at the touch.

Therefore wisdom’s much better than wealth,
since by wisdom you reach consummation in this life.
But if because of delusion you don’t reach consummation,
you’ll do evil deeds in life after life.

One who enters a womb and the world beyond,
will transmigrate from one life to the next.
While someone of little wisdom, placing faith in them,
also enters a womb and the world beyond.

As a bandit caught in the door
is punished for his own bad deeds;
so after departing, in the world beyond,
people are punished for their own bad deeds.

Sensual pleasures are diverse, sweet, delightful;
appearing in disguise they disturb the mind.
Seeing danger in the many kinds of sensual stimulation,
I went forth, O King.

As fruit falls from a tree, so people fall,
young and old, when the body breaks up.
Seeing this, too, I went forth, O King;
the ascetic life is guaranteed to be better.”

https://suttacentral.net/mn82/en/sujato
:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

alfa

Re: The Drawbacks & Dangers of Sensual Craving

Post by alfa » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:04 am

When I think of sensual craving, I feel guilty about watching too much TV. But this guy has taken sensual craving to a whole new level. :tongue:

thang

Post by thang » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:31 am

Kundalakesi was the daughter of a rich man from Rajagaha. She had led a very secluded life; but one day, she happened to see a thief being led out to be killed and she immediately fell in love with him. Her parents had to pay for the freedom of the thief, and they married her off to him. Although she loved her husband very dearly, her husband being a thief, was only attracted to her property and her jewels. One day, he coaxed her to put on all her jewellery and led her to a mountain saying that he wanted to make some offerings to the guardian spirit of the mountain because that guardian spirit had saved his life, when he was about to be killed. Kundalakesi went along with her husband, but when they reached their destination, the thief revealed that he intended to kill her and take her jewels. She pleaded with him to take her jewels, but to spare her life, but it was of no avail. She then realized, that if she did not get rid of her husband, there would be no way of escape for her. She felt she must be cautious and crafty. So she said to her husband ,that as they would be together only for a few moments more, she wanted to pay respect to him for the last time. So saying, and going round the man respectfully, she pushed him off the crag, taking him unaware.
The Story of Theri Kundalakesi
"Bhikkhus, whatever the Tathāgata speaks, _ all that is just so and NOT otherwise."

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:46 am

The Case of Lady Sannox, in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Tales of Terror and Mystery
His vices were as magnificent as his virtues, and infinitely more picturesque. Large as was his income, and it was the third largest of all professional men in London, it was far beneath the luxury of his living. Deep in his complex nature lay a rich vein of sensualism, at the sport of which he placed all the prizes of his life. The eye, the ear, the touch, the palate, all were his masters. The bouquet of old vintages, the scent of rare exotics, the curves and tints of the daintiest potteries of Europe, it was to these that the quick-running stream of gold was transformed. And then there came his sudden mad passion for Lady Sannox, when a single interview with two challenging glances and a whispered word set him ablaze. She was the loveliest woman in London and the only one to him. He was one of the handsomest men in London, but not the only one to her...
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:58 am

This thread is for posting stories of craving gone horribly wrong,
Isn’t our whole existence is about the cravings horribly gone wrong?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:03 am

SarathW wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:58 am
This thread is for posting stories of craving gone horribly wrong,
Isn’t our whole existence is about the cravings horribly gone wrong?
Haha. Good one!
O seeing one,we for refuge go to thee!
O mighty sage do thou our teacher be!

budo

Post by budo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:47 am

If you want to see where sensual hedonism takes you, just look at the average celebrity: sex, drugs, and rock and roll. They all end up dying early, whether Avicci, Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc.. Every year there's a story of a celebrity dying to drugs or depression, despite belng wealthy. Just two stories a few weeks ago.

And then you have the celebrity or average business tycoon, who has a new wife every 10 years and loses most of the money he earned in divorce, and if not he has to waste time on drama and courts.

So these people chase money, sex, and drugs, and then lose it all and die.

The only celebrities who seem to make some right decisions are olympians, who make enough money to retire and live a simple life in nature, which is common among European athletes.

Dan74-MkII

Post by Dan74-MkII » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:06 am

Regarding the OP... I wonder if it is even an example of sensual craving? Firstly, from the article, the man clearly had a great deal of insecurity and this was part of it. Secondly, I very much doubt that a surgically enlarged penis would lead to more sensual pleasure.

I am speculating of course, but often this kind of an emotional makeup is a result of a cold distant mother, so that early on a deep sense of insecurity develops in a child, where mother's warmth, affection and protection should be.

It is easy to look scornfully at this, judge the man and this grotesque surgery gone wrong, but at the bottom of it is very real and very human suffering, not really very different to us, though it does take different forms.

_/|\_

befriend

Post by befriend » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:37 am

I agree penis enlargement surgery isn't really sense craving. More like the volition of wanting a partner in general not necessarily more sex. I think the real tragedy in sense pleasure is television people were way more spiritual around the time of Benjamin Franklin and Henry David Thoreau people had space in their lives to think about the nature of character and how that corresponds to happiness. If we didn't have so many distractions and so much escapism maybe we would look more closely at our internal world and how our actions condition our well being.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:53 pm

I think the story illustrates that we value our self image more than sensuality considering the amount of pain and risks we are willing to endure in order to maintain it and enhance it.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.