Kiwi Rendezvous in Hong Kong

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
mikenz66

Kiwi Rendezvous in Hong Kong

Post by mikenz66 »

Despite living in Hong Kong for most of 2007, I never managed to catch up with fellow countryman Shi Huifeng (Paññāsikhara), but last week I had the opportunity to invite him over for coffee and a chat during a fleeting visit.

It's always great to meet Dhamma friends in person and the unfortunately too short chat and the surprise gift of Richard Gombrich's new book What the Buddha Thought was very welcome. Unfortunately it was hard to stay awake long enough on the flights home to read much of it (not Gombrich's fault!).

Mike
Huifeng_Mike_small_IMGP8669.JPG
Huifeng_Mike_small_IMGP8669.JPG (51.51 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
Ben

Re: Kiwi Rendezvous in Hong Kong

Post by Ben »

What a great photo!
Thank you Mike for sharing!
Great to "See" you again, Bhante!
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Thanks for posting the photo, Mike! Mike is a very smiley kind of a guy, much more than me! :tongue:

Yes, we met up in the concourse at Hong Kong City University, over coffee.
The whole campus is almost like it is situated in one building, and the concourse looks a lot like an educational shopping mall.

Always much better to meet in person than these funny little wordy things on a screen.
I imagine that the equivalent of our 90 minutes there would probably take a month of posts around here, and involve 10 times the confusion.

Anyone else in Hong Kong? Please drop me a line.
Last edited by Paññāsikhara on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
zavk

Post by zavk »

Nice one, Mike and Ven.!
With metta,
zavk
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

:twothumbsup:

(that's one thumb for each of you, by the way!)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Post by cooran »

Nice photo.

Glad you got together. :smile: Nothing better than good friends in the Dhamma! :group:

Would both of you pass the "Real Kiwi Test"?
http://stason.org/TULARC/travel/new-zea ... -Test.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

cooran wrote: Would both of you pass the "Real Kiwi Test"?
Yeah, looks pretty bloody simple to me, eh...

Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

cooran wrote:Would both of you pass the "Real Kiwi Test"?
http://stason.org/TULARC/travel/new-zea ... -Test.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sheer genius!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Ben wrote: Sheer genius!
Yes, It's just a pity that they give away the answers by putting the scores directly on the test. But as I implied, I doubt many Kiwis would get more than a couple of those wrong...

PS, the singer of OMC (see question 29) just died this weekend (at age 40...).

Mike
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

mikenz66 wrote:
cooran wrote: Would both of you pass the "Real Kiwi Test"?
Yeah, looks pretty bloody simple to me, eh...

Mike
Too piss easy, mate.
In fact, I'd offer some suggestions:

Aotearoa has a whole heap of islands, probably numbering in the hundreds. (I used to live in Paihia.)
Pakeha isn't exactly "foreigner", just the euro ones from at least 100 yrs ago. The other one's don't count, we have other names, like "Pom" and question #7.
The Lion people will disagree with the DB ruling. But don't push it, because this could led to a civil war, between the Union and the League.
A real tiki is made of pounamu, not just any old "green" stuff, or maybe whale bone if you're from up north.
Wetas aren't that scary, unless you're a big blouse. (I used to go pot-holing around Waitomo.)
L&P stands for "world famous in New Zealand". (I also have lived in Te Aroha, and we have our own version from natural geyser mineral water ... not that anybody knows!)
In addition to "How Bizarre" (R.I.P. OMC), there should have been at least one question about either Split Enz or Crowded House. (Go Te Awamutu, go!!)

Now, if you can understand my fine points above, then maybe we're talking about a real :quote: kiwi :quote: test, mate!!
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Ben

Post by Ben »

L&P
I love that stuff and is my cool beverage of choice when in NZ. You can't get it here.
Last year, I made the kids laugh when I asked for a glass of F&P (F***'n Pee).
Wetas: I haven't gotten up close with one though told there were lots in the woodpile under the farm house. Looking forward to seeing one or more in Waitomo Caves the last time we went though I think the bloody tourists scared them off. I understand that 'Weta" its now the name of the special effects/costuming company that Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings spawned.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725