Buddhism in a nutshell

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Re: Buddhism in a nutshell

Post by SarathW »

n the past, as today, what I describe is suffering and the cessation of suffering.
Pubbe cāhaṃ, bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ.

What does it mean then?
Doesn't it means that is what Buddhas teaching?
What else Buddha teach?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Dukkha has many meanings……

stress, difficulty, can't get no satisfaction,
anxiety, loneliness, etc.

befriend

Post by befriend »

Reading the posts and contemplating about the theory of Buddhism I've come up with this, every contact is clung to or pushed away or ignored because of its feeling tone of being pleasant unpleasant or neutral. Not acting out of craving but watching the contact with sense restraint or wisdom of Annica Dukkha or Anatta one sees there is nothing to crave or be averse to. So craving and aversion and ignorance shouldn't be indulged they also should be seen what caused them in the first place with wisdom to weaken there momentum. Right livelihood right speech and right action are there to keep the heavier expressions of craving aversion and ignorance at bay. the. Concentration aspect helps suppress hindrances and also to create blameless rapture and to strengthen the efficacy of Panna which is the final job of destroying the false view of permanence, satisfactoriness and selfhood.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

befriend wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:02 am
Reading the posts and contemplating about the theory of Buddhism I've come up with this, every contact is clung to or pushed away or ignored because of its feeling tone of being pleasant unpleasant or neutral. Not acting out of craving but watching the contact with sense restraint or wisdom of Annica Dukkha or Anatta one sees there is nothing to crave or be averse to. So craving and aversion and ignorance shouldn't be indulged they also should be seen what caused them in the first place with wisdom to weaken there momentum. Right livelihood right speech and right action are there to keep the heavier expressions of craving aversion and ignorance at bay. the. Concentration aspect helps suppress hindrances and also to create blameless rapture and to strengthen the efficacy of Panna which is the final job of destroying the false view of permanence, satisfactoriness and selfhood.
I have not seen any reference to the book " Buddhism in a nutshell " by ven. Narada thero ( first edition 1933). This book explains what buddhism is appropriately. Therefore may I suggest reading this book ( free download) to clear many doubts addressed in this post.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

This matter has previously discussed in Sutta Central in detail.

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/di ... on/9357/18
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

paul

Post by paul »

befriend wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:02 am
Not acting out of craving but watching the contact with sense restraint or wisdom of Annica Dukkha or Anatta one sees there is nothing to crave or be averse to.
The summary is generally right, but doesn't align with the four noble truths. Experiencing that attachment to conditioned phenomena (subject to the cycle of impermanence) causes suffering is the duty associated with the first noble truth. Experiencing that abandoning attachment to conditioned phenomena releases from stress are the duties of the second and third noble truths.

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Abiding by the truth and harmlessness.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

form

Post by form »

DNS wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:46 pm
SarathW wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 pm
"I teach only suffering and the cessation of suffering.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... el277.html

Suffering arises and perishes immediately.
What ever suffering is come from your own make up of your mind.
Bhikkhu Bodhi has since corrected this. He has stated the word "only" was added by some translators. See his article here:
https://tricycle.org/magazine/i-teach-o ... suffering/
Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote:I have to confess that I am one of the perpetrators of this literary faux pas, for in several of my own past writings I authoritatively cited the wrongly rendered version of the statement as proof that the Buddha’s entire teaching was only about suffering and the end of suffering. But I’ve since learned otherwise. This experience has enabled me to see how linguistic misreadings of Buddhist texts can give rise to wrong doctrinal interpretations and even promulgate modern myths about the meaning of Buddhism. Our contemporary environment of thought, which relishes reducing complex systems of ideas to simple catchphrases and slogans, has also contributed to the distortion.
4NT includes 8FP.

4NT= Suffering and the way to its end.So what else did he teach that are indepensible?

What is B B new stance on this?

I remember in his book, words of the buddha, he defined dhamma as six components. 4NT, DO, 5A, 64I&ESB, 5H and 7FOE. Is that his new stance?

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

form wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:40 am
4NT includes 8FP.
Yes, this is true, so we really only need 3 letters.

4NT has the 8FP in the fourth truth.

Everything else is in the fourth truth too, with Right View of the 8FP, so that would also include DO, 7FOE, etc.

Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

you should train like this:
‘Though my body is ailing, my mind will be healthy.’
That’s how you should train.”

https://suttacentral.net/sn22.1/en/sujato
Having nothing,
clinging to no thing:
That is the island,
there is no other.
That's Unbinding, I tell you,
the total ending of aging & death

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
with regard to things that are dear
— seen, heard, sensed, & cognized —
there is: the dispelling of passion & desire,
the undying state of Unbinding.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
O seeing one,we for refuge go to thee!
O mighty sage do thou our teacher be!

Paccuppannañca yo dhammaṃ,
Tattha tattha vipassati

“Yato yato mano nivāraye,
Na dukkhameti naṃ tato tato;
Sa sabbato mano nivāraye,
Sa sabbato dukkhā pamuccatī”ti.

form

Post by form »

DNS wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:39 pm
form wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:40 am
4NT includes 8FP.
Yes, this is true, so we really only need 3 letters.

4NT has the 8FP in the fourth truth.

Everything else is in the fourth truth too, with Right View of the 8FP, so that would also include DO, 7FOE, etc.
I fully agree.

So since 4NT is about suffering and getting out of suffering, and all buddha's teachings revolved around 4NT, that is what the Buddha taught.