Savatthi/Shravasti: need advice

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Volo

Savatthi/Shravasti: need advice

Post by Volo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:54 pm

Hello, friends

A question to those who visited/knows about Savatthi. Is it possible to stay there for a while (~a month) for a single traveler (budget)? I've read the conditions there are very basic - not easy to find hot food, budget accommodation is limited to the dormitories in some monasteries, no cheap guest houses... I hope my intonation is outdated. Any suggestions? How comfortable is it there for meditation? Thanks :anjali:

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Savatthi/Shravasti: need advice

Post by DNS » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:45 pm

I stayed at a hotel when I visited. I'm sure it's more expensive than the guest rooms at monasteries and temples, but it was fairly cheap due to the exchange rates at the time. But that was 12 years ago, not sure how much has changed.

Beautiful town btw, with some good places to visit and practice meditation.

Volo

Post by Volo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:26 pm

pitakele

Post by pitakele » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:34 am

I visited Shravasti on one occasion for a few days in March, 2007. I stayed at Navajetavana Arama opposite the main gates of the historic Jetavana. The head monk was very kind in providing a room & food. However, it was quite noisy due to bus loads of Sri Lankan pilgrims arriving every day and I shared the room with many mosquitoes. I visited the Korean temple for lunch one day - very peaceful and also clean - I think it would be a nice place to stay. Here is a list of dharmshalas & other accommodation - probably good to phone ahead http://www.greatshravasti.com/en/accommodations
now here = nowhere

Volo

Post by Volo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:52 am

Thanks a lot, pitakele! This is very helpful :anjali:

Just another Bhikkhu

Post by Just another Bhikkhu » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:55 pm

look for Pubbārāma the "Easter monastery. It is about 30 or 40mins walk from Jetavana and it seems that it's not in most people's radar. There is one Bhikkhu taking care of the place who is very kind and willing to help practitioners, the place is very quiet and secluded from the tourist chaos and this Bhante (I forgot his name) has the intention to develop the place as a kind of meditation center, I was there a bit more than a year ago. There is place for one or two people to stay, and Bhante seems very open. There's a (quite unknown I think) Ashokan pillar there, and it also is the place where the anapanasati sutta was delivered (as you probably know)

Volo

Post by Volo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:08 pm

Just another Bhikkhu wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:55 pm
look for Pubbārāma the "Easter monastery.
Thanks, bhante. I've heard of the place, but wasn't sure if it's suitable for meditation. Would be surely worth to visit.

Just another Bhikkhu

Post by Just another Bhikkhu » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:20 pm

If you do go there, would you please update me as how things are going and how Bhante is doing? Thanks :)

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:01 pm

I stayed there in October. Due to a mix up at the hotel I booked I ended up staying at the Korean monastery. I paid the guy there 500 RS (£5) to stay the night. No doubt you’d get it cheaper paying for a full month. They have a mediation hall there as well but I didn’t have time to check it out. The rooms are very basic, and there were lots of inspects, but with a mosquito net it was fine.

I lived off between 3-500 RS per day on food, and eating at restaurants, I was only eating 1 meal per day, and spending this much was enough to sustain me.

Volo

Post by Volo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:19 pm

Thanks for information, DarrenM. The price range seems to be similar to other buddhist places of India. But at least necessary facilities are there.

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:13 am

Hi Volo just found this in my wallet, if you need to contact them.
image.jpg
Korean Temple
Last edited by DarrenM on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Volo

Post by Volo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:53 am

Great! Thanks, Darren :thumbsup: