perfections

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
genkaku

perfections

Post by genkaku »

I'm not sure where or in what context, but I know I have read statements referring to "perfections" of one kind or another in Buddhism. Someone who is better educated will know chapter and verse, I hope. :)

My questions are:

1. Would anyone who had 'attained' or somehow 'entered' a particular Buddhist perfection call it a perfection?

2. If you attained something that you considered perfect, do you think you would call it perfect or might that detract from its perfection?
bodom

Re: perfections

Post by bodom »

"Perfection" is a word that is used just for the sake of communication. Words only have meaning if you give them meaning. "Perfection" or Nibbana, Buddhahood whatever you wanna call it, is above and beyond any concepts used to define it. Thats why the Buddha never gave a clear answer to what it is because it is impossible to put into everyday language.

Bhikkhu Pesala
What is Nibbāna?

http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Pesala/Nib ... l#Describe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“Is it possible, Nagasena, to point out the size, shape or duration of nibbāna by a simile?”

“No it is not possible; there is no other thing like it.”

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Smile, just one smile that is perfect
the list of perfections are not in the suttas not sure about the commentaries though.
everything is perfect you just need to let it be.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

The Paramitas (perfections) in Theravada Buddhism are...
l. Dana - Charity
2. Sila - Morality
3. Nekkhamma - Renunciation
4. Panna - Wisdom
5. Viriya - Perseverance
6. Khanti - Patience
7. Sacca - Truthfulness
8. Adhitthana - Determination
9. Metta - Loving-kindness
10. Upekkha - Equanimity
They each exist in the suttas, but I think they're only collated and called paramitas in the commentaries.
1. Would anyone who had 'attained' or somehow 'entered' a particular Buddhist perfection call it a perfection?
They would know it was a perfection
2. If you attained something that you considered perfect, do you think you would call it perfect or might that detract from its perfection?
No, or else it wouldn't be perfect.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Retro
Thanks for adding that just came back to edit mine and see you have already mentioned they are individually in the Suttas.
But I wonder why the list is different in Mahayana?

Metta
Manapa
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

The Paramitas (perfections) in Theravada Buddhism are...
l. Dana - Charity
2. Sila - Morality
4. Panna - Wisdom
5. Viriya - Perseverance
6. Khanti - Patience
7. Sacca - Truthfulness
10. Upekkha - Equanimity
They each exist in the suttas, but I think they're only collated and called paramitas in the commentaries.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

genkaku wrote:I'm not sure where or in what context, but I know I have read statements referring to "perfections" of one kind or another in Buddhism. Someone who is better educated will know chapter and verse, I hope. :)

My questions are:

My answer to #1 and #2 is:

Typically, no. And I believe in the vinya it's prohibited for the ordained to do so, in fact.

:namaste:
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

Thanks retro for the list. Boy, do I feel dumb. :oops:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Genkaku,
genkaku wrote:Boy, do I feel dumb. :oops:
No need to feel dumb, friend! I'm sure there's plenty of reasonably self-evident Zen explanations for certain things that I don't know, simply because I've yet to have any exposure to them.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi all

The paramitas are particular qualities that are to be developed if one's aspiration is to become an arahant or a sammasambuddha. Opportunities to develop those paramitas are an essential part of practice in the same way as cultivating morality, concentration and wisdom. When fully developed, those qualities become perfect.

Ledi Sayadaw's treatise: Uttama Purisa Dīpanī - A Manual of the Excellent Man, describes the career of the Bodhisatta which includes the cultivation of those ten qualities over aeons.

What I have noticed is that humility is a by-product of genuine progress on the path.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Genkaku,
genkaku wrote:Boy, do I feel dumb. :oops:
No need to feel dumb, friend! I'm sure there's plenty of reasonably self-evident Zen explanations for certain things that I don't know, simply because I've yet to have any exposure to them.

Metta,
Dear Retro -- I knew the suggested efforts, but not that they were called perfections. Sometimes I have a feeling everybody is doing the same stuff and calling it something else. But who cares what it's called as long as we're making the effort? :)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Genkaku,
genkaku wrote:But who cares what it's called as long as we're making the effort? :)
Indeed. If you read the above list in English to the perfectly enlightened Buddha he wouldn't know what you were talking about.

Metta,
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Retro,
retrofuturist wrote:The Paramitas (perfections) in Theravada Buddhism are...
l. Dana - Charity
2. Sila - Morality
4. Panna - Wisdom
5. Viriya - Perseverance
6. Khanti - Patience
7. Sacca - Truthfulness
10. Upekkha - Equanimity
In the Sutta Pitaka they are all listed in the Buddhavamsa and (I think) about eight of them in the Cariyapitaka.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

Manapa wrote: But I wonder why the list is different in Mahayana?
I don't know how it arose historically, but there's an explanation of how the two lists are related in section xii of Dhammapala's Treatise on the Paramis here:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el409.html.
Just as the ten paaramiis become thirtyfold through analysis, so they become sixfold through their specific nature: as giving, virtue, patience, energy, meditation, and wisdom.

When this set is considered, the perfection of renunciation, as the going forth into homelessness, is included in the perfection of virtue; as seclusion from the hindrances, in the perfection of meditation; and as a generally wholesome quality, in all six paaramiis. One part of the perfection of truthfulness, i.e., its aspect of truthful speech or abstinence from falsehood, is included in the perfection of virtue, and one part, i.e., its aspect of truthful knowledge, in the perfection of wisdom. The perfection of loving-kindness is included in the perfection of meditation, and the perfection of equanimity in the perfections of meditation and wisdom. The perfection of determination is included in all.
The perfection of wisdom is then further subdivided to get a (different) list of 10.

Fig Tree