Home Altar...Beginner

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Butrfly_Nirvana

Re: Home Altar...Beginner

Post by Butrfly_Nirvana »

Thank you! While the shelf is facing the bed, it is off to the side. I'm going to keep trying to find alternatives, but as you mentioned, sometimes you have to work with what you've got!
Fede

Post by Fede »

Ok, I'm having real problems posting Pictures from my Picture file here.... any clues....? I've no idea where or how to start.
Sorry about the OT post... will edit once I get my head round the instructions somebody might be kind enough to give me!
(Don't forget I'm Techno-thick..... 'Fudgewit' doesn't cover it!!)
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fede

Post by Fede »

Sakyamuni.jpg
Sakyamuni.jpg (193.63 KiB) Viewed 5882 times
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fede

Post by Fede »

It's ok....I got it!!

This is nothing short of miraculous, you understand.......!! :woohoo: :jumping:
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG (21.84 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
This is my bedroom Tara Altar....
IMG_0037 comp.jpg
IMG_0037 comp.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
And this is the Altar in the sitting room.....

Butrfly_Nirvana

Those are beautiful! I've resigned myself to a top shelf in the 'dining' room (we don't eat in there...just empty space! LOL). My husband was adamant that I not use incense because he doesn't like it *sigh*....so I decided to "compromise" and bought a jasmine scented candle! lol So there's my 'incense' and my candle! I then found some fake flowers that look like cherry blossoms (to me anyways!) and I put them in a new glass container/vase. Oh, and I had some extra blue fabric so I used it to cover the top shelf so it looks a bit more 'focused' as opposed to just another shelf! I still have to wait to get my statue, but this is a start! While my husband's papers are on the wall above the shelf, I had to compromise as a previous poster mentioned. But it does bring me a little peace every time I see it! For my Valentine's Day gift I'm getting to select several books that I've been looking at getting on Theravada/Buddhism so I'm looking forward to those being near the altar as well! It's a simple set up right now, but I'm sure it will grow as time goes on!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Fantastic work Fede!

Well done with posting the images and excellent shrines!

Hi BN
If its any consolation - I don't generally use incense either!
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I'm not allowed incense either, it causes my wife to choke. It's not a big deal though, I've got plenty to work on without the need for incense!
Fede

Post by Fede »

I use incense and I favour Nag Champa and Nitraj, mainly. My partner loves them, and finds them soothing - comforting even.
However, I also have granular incense which is burned on a charcoal disc, and that can be pretty pungent, I must admit. I love it, but he finds it a bit overpowering, so I'll use that if he's not around....

Butrfly_Nirvana

I'm hoping that on occasion I get to use incense, but mostly because I just like it! Probably on those days that he is going to be out of the house for a long period of time...that way I have time to air out the house before he comes home! :spy: