Kabir

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dhammabodhi

Kabir

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Wikipedia wrote:Kabir (Hindi: कबीर, IAST: Kabīr) was a 15th-century Indian mystic poet, Sufi and saint, whose writings influenced Hinduism's Bhakti movement and his verses are found in Sikhism's scripture Guru Granth Sahib. He was born and raised by a Muslim family. He was nonetheless strongly influenced by his teacher, the Hindu bhakti leader Ramananda.

Kabir is known for being critical of Hinduism, Jainism and Islam, stating that the former was misguided by the Vedas, and questioning their meaningless rites of initiation such as the sacred thread and circumcision respectively. During his lifetime, he was threatened by both Hindus and Muslims for his views. When he died, both Hindus and Muslims he had inspired claimed him as theirs.(There was dispute whether to cremate or bury his corpse).

Kabir suggested that True God is with the person who is on the path of righteousness, considered all creatures on earth as his own self, and who is passively detached from the affairs of the world.
Here's an Indian folk song he wrote(with subtitles), which has some aspects that can be interpreted as awareness of body-mind.

Banjaara

:anjali:
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
Bundokji

Re: Kabir

Post by Bundokji »

I enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing :anjali:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Glad you liked it!

:anjali:
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Bundokji wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:21 pm I enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing :anjali:
+ 1

:namaste: