Bhikkhu Ñanananda

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Re: Bhikkhu Ñanananda

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I see from the Bibliography of Analayo's Satipatthana text that there's a couple more books (or booklets?) by Bhikkhu Ñanananda.

A bit of a Google Search suggests they were printed for free distribution, but the only electronic copy of them that I seem to be able to find is in the form a Bit Borrent on "8_Rare_Books_on_Mindfulness_Meditation_and_Theravada_Buddhism"

http://www.btmon.com/Other/E-books/8_Ra ... rrent.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alas, I don't know how to do torrents... so does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to find an electronic copy of any of the following...

Towards Calm And Insight: Some Practical Hints (1993)
Seeing Though: A Guide To Insight Meditation (1999)

If anyone has an electronic copy and if it seems intended as a Dhamma book for free publication, feel free to append a copy of either document to this topic!

Of course, I'd be definitely interested if anyone has any ideas on how the physical copies can be obtained, but that seems the least likely outcome at this point in time.

Thanks.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Downloading now. It's about 243mb and on a torrent, that can take a few hours. So will keep you posted Retro :)

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jack,

Thanks... much appreciated!

:twothumbsup:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Alright, I've uploaded both to rapidshare. Good news, both are for free distribution, and both look really good.

Venerable Bhikkhu K. Ñanananda - Towards calm and insight
http://rapidshare.com/files/334505800/N ... nsight.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Venerable Bhikkhu K. Ñanananda - Seeing Through - A Guide to Insight Meditation
http://rapidshare.com/files/334505801/N ... tation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gonna contact what-buddha-taught and see if they will upload these files

metta
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Bhante Nanananda's writings are definitely recommended, really brilliant stuff!

Thus I have heard - from those present at the time - that while still a layman, he was a young lecturer at a Uni in Sri Lanka, and really quite unknown, quiet, unassuming. After writing and publishing his first book, a lot of people thought "Wow! Who is this?", but by the time they found out who he was, he had already renounced and had disappeared into the forests in central Sri Lanka.

Hehe.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
poto

Post by poto »

BlackBird wrote:Alright, I've uploaded both to rapidshare. Good news, both are for free distribution, and both look really good.

Venerable Bhikkhu K. Ñanananda - Towards calm and insight
http://rapidshare.com/files/334505800/N ... nsight.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Venerable Bhikkhu K. Ñanananda - Seeing Through - A Guide to Insight Meditation
http://rapidshare.com/files/334505801/N ... tation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gonna contact what-buddha-taught and see if they will upload these files

metta
Thanks for the share. :)
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

retrofuturist wrote:
Alas, I don't know how to do torrents...
Go and download a Torrent client, like << http://www.utorrent.com/downloads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; >>, or << http://www.bittorrent.com/btusers/download" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; >>, or << http://azureus.sourceforge.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; >>.
Once downloaded and installed, when you run Torrent files like the one in the link, that software will run it.
From there, it is pretty easy. DIY in about 10 minutes, playing around with the Torrent software you've installed.
Though you may want to read up on who torrents are in the first place, though.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind (whilst trying to avoid precept violations!)

Metta,
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Bikkhu Katukurunde Nananda is one of Sri Lanka's foremost meditative monks. He aparently lives in a little rock 'kuti' with a little rock bed like the arahanths of the past in Sri Lanka. He entertains guests very little and spends most of his time in seclusion. He does give meditation instructions for those who are serious and I know monks and nuns from all over sri lanka who visit him for instructions. He spent many years in quiet seclusion until one day his teacher invited him to talk on nibbana. This was followed by the 'nibbana' sermons which blew everyone away. He has another series known as the 'pahankanuwa sermons' denoting the place they were delivered from. But as far as I know they are in sinhalese. He is the epitome of monkhood for his practice, renunciation, humbleness, faith and wisdom.

:bow:
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Bozworth

Post by Bozworth »

Thanks for sharing this. I'm already behind on my reading, but what the hell...
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

thanks for making me buy more books
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
retrofuturist

Bhikkhu Ñanananda is cool

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

If anyone has been following this topic with one eye but has yet to check out any of the works of Bhikkhu Ñanananda or is waiting for texts to arrive in the mailbox, can I recommend investing a little bit of time to read this Dhamma Talk...

Nibbàna Sermon 22
http://www.beyondthenet.net/calm/nibbana22.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's one of a long series, and each sermon feeds into the next, but I think in this sermon in particular, Bhikkhu Ñanananda really captures the profound essence of the Dhamma. At every turn, Bhikkhu Ñanananda turns an insightful eye to some of the deepest and revolutionary aspects of the Buddha's teaching. If you haven't read anything recently that's totally rocked your world, do yourself a favour and click on the link above.

:twothumbsup:

Metta,
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Thanks Retro. There's something quite special about the way Bhante elucidates the Dhamma.

metta

BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

The two books listed above are now available for download on http://www.what-buddha-taught.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (down at the bottom) saving everyone the hassle of rapidshare.

metta

bodom

Post by bodom »

jcsuperstar wrote:thanks for making me buy more books
Haha my thoughts exactly.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB