how do we know what the buddha looked like?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
diamind

how do we know what the buddha looked like?

Post by diamind »

Are there any descriptions of how the buddha looked in the cannon? Where does this familar image of buddha come from?
Aloka

Re: how do we know what the buddha looked like?

Post by Aloka »

Hi diamind,

I don't think anyone can know for sure what the Buddha looked like around 2,500 years ago. This is short article written by Ajahn Sujato "On the 32 Marks" :

/sujato.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/on-the-32-marks/

:anjali:
bodom

Post by bodom »

Have a look through this thread as well:

viewtopic.php?t=4918

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Afaik first "images" that we have are on coins dated ~100BC
It is largely believed that the Buddha had himself prohibited his images, though there is not much support for this apart from a passage from the Vinaya of the Sarvastivadins, assumingly there is a passage where: "Anathapindika asks the Buddha if images of him are not allowed to be made, may they not at least make images of Bodhisattas?" And The Buddha allows making images of the Bodhisattas.

I personally don't keep images or statues anymore, finding it somewhat offensive even.
cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

In the suttas, I recall reading that the Buddha's skin appeared golden, he had dark hair & blue eyes, that he was on the thinner side (legs like/as slim as deer's legs?), and that he otherwise looked like every other monk in the darkness (a visiting King could not discern which monk was the Buddha when he was sitting among the other members of the Sangha).
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

We have a few canonical descriptions from the buddha or those who happened to observe him. Some of the marks may be subtle or undetectable to the untrained eye, but his eyes were blue, he had black hair, he was bald, and he had a fuzzy white mole in between his eyes. The marks are explained in DN 30 as the auspicious results of previous good deeds.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
diamind

Post by diamind »

User1249x wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:55 pm Afaik first "images" that we have are on coins dated ~100BC
It is largely believed that the Buddha had himself prohibited his images, though there is not much support for this apart from a passage from the Vinaya of the Sarvastivadins, assumingly there is a passage where: "Anathapindika asks the Buddha if images of him are not allowed to be made, may they not at least make images of Bodhisattas?" And The Buddha allows making images of the Bodhisattas.

I personally don't keep images or statues anymore, finding it somewhat offensive even.
Your telling me Buddha talks about bodhisattvas in the pali cannon?
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

diamind wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:17 am
User1249x wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:55 pm Afaik first "images" that we have are on coins dated ~100BC

I have not read the Vinaya of Sarvastavadins but the Sutta do state that the Buddha talked about himself as Bodhisatta prior to attainment of Buddhahood, here are a couple examples;
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Last edited by User1249x on Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

diamind wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:17 am

The Buddha refers to himself in such terms:
The Blessed One said, "Monks, before my self-awakening, when I was still just an unawakened Bodhisatta,

Some translators render "Bodhisatta" as "one intent on awakening", but it looks as if the meaning is clear. In the Jataka Tales it is used regarding previous births, and in the suttas it normally refers to the Buddha's life in this world before he became enlightened.
diamind

Post by diamind »

Aloka wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:44 pm Hi diamind,

I don't think anyone can know for sure what the Buddha looked like around 2,500 years ago. This is short article written by Ajahn Sujato "On the 32 Marks" :

Did Buddha ever talk about the previous Buddhas? Or future Buddhas and how they looked?
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

diamind wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:16 pm
Aloka wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:44 pm Hi diamind,

Did Buddha ever talk about the previous Buddhas? Or future Buddhas and how they looked?
https://suttacentral.net/en/dn14
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
pitakele

Post by pitakele »

Buddha's answer...
One who sees the Dhamma sees me;
one who sees me sees the Dhamma.

Yo dhammam passati, so mam passati.
Yo mam passati, so dhammam passati

https://suttacentral.net/sn22.87/en/bodhi
aniccā vata saṇkhārā - tesaṁ vūpasamo sukho
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

diamind wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:40 pm Are there any descriptions of how the buddha looked in the cannon? Where does this familar image of buddha come from?
We can't really say what the historical Buddha actually looked like. Buddhist scriptures provides some clues, but modern day Indian genetics can sort of help us put the pieces together.

This late Indian actor, his granddaugther, and holy Sadhu are vestiges of the ancient Aryans. The blue eyes, black hair, tall stature( I read somewhere that the Buddha was between 6ft and 6ft7).

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
diamind

Post by diamind »

Did buddha ever say NOT to make images of him?