Right Aromatherapy

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Prasadachitta

Re: Right Aromatherapy

Post by Prasadachitta »

Manapa wrote:hi Annabel
when I trained in body therapy, there was a product specially for people with weight problems with peppermint oil in.
it tricked the area it was applied to into thinking it was cold and a shiver reaction happened which aided in burning fat (so to speak), it was a fabrication of the senses, not an actual cooling.

hi Gabe,
I know someone who finds the sound of flowing water, a babbling brook or waterfall very stressful since they nearly drowned, it would seam that sounds are only relaxing or conductive if you provide that worth to the sound.
Hi Manapa,

Dont you think this is true of just about anything? Still there are overriding trends which I think we can be aware of.

Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

gabrielbranbury wrote:
when I trained in body therapy, there was a product specially for people with weight problems with peppermint oil in.
it tricked the area it was applied to into thinking it was cold and a shiver reaction happened which aided in burning fat (so to speak), it was a fabrication of the senses, not an actual cooling.

hi Gabe,
I know someone who finds the sound of flowing water, a babbling brook or waterfall very stressful since they nearly drowned, it would seam that sounds are only relaxing or conductive if you provide that worth to the sound.
Hi Manapa,

Dont you think this is true of just about anything? Still there are overriding trends which I think we can be aware of.

Metta

Gabe
Definitely, but these trends aren't always appropriately dealt with by using sounds, smells, or something else.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Which type of body therapy?

(Did you also learn about Ayurveda?

It's very interesting, because it helps people to handle hot or cold weather better through eating certain food.

They're called cooling and warming foods, therefore. It has nothing to do with the temperature the food has, but with which effect it has upon our body.

An easily understood example would be a hot chili which makes you sweat and feel uncomfortable on hot days.

Rice however, cooked with zucchini, accompanied by a green lettuce, would be a cooling meal, and would help people suffering from hot moist weather.

It's highly fascinating, and I tried it. It really works.)

Sorry for the OT, just wanted to know about body therapy
Last edited by Annapurna on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Manapa wrote:
gabrielbranbury wrote:

hi Gabe,
Hi Manapa,

Metta

Gabe
Definitely, but these trends aren't always appropriately dealt with by using sounds, smells, or something else.
Please explain :?:

Thanks

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

gabrielbranbury wrote:
Manapa wrote:
Please explain :?:

Thanks

Gabe
here is a story I was told a couple of years ago, how true it is I don't know.

a number of years ago there was a meditation teacher who ha a pet cat, this cat every day would come into the meditation hall and pester the monks for attention, or sit on their laps distracting them in different ways, so the master ordered that the cat be put in a cage during the meditation times to stop it pestering the monks.
a few years later the master died and they carried on putting the cat into the cage during the meditation times up until it died.
they then got another cat who wasn't really interested in pestering the monks for attention while they sat, but none the less they put the cat into a cage, after a few years a visiting monk came and asked why they caged the cat, the temple monks replied because it helps us to meditate.

I have heard several versions one set in Japan others Thailand or Burma and tibet, and sometimes it was a dog

essentially the trend of someone isn't always going to be the same, but habits set in, rituals and supports, based on the successful application or pleasantness, these sensory extras have a danger of being over used, as being a crutch for people, sure in certain circumstances they can be useful, and can effect us by causing certain reactions which make it easier to calm the fabrications and set aside covetousness and melancholy towards the world, but is it affecting us in a way which is only conductive, or are they leading another way? this is why these are essentially a 'coffee' they bring on fabrications which are useful but not all the time.

does that clear up what I mean?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Yes that makes sense Manapa,

Caution and regularly reassessing practice is defiantly crucial in my view. Still I think we are well served by understanding how we can make our path smoother, at least to begin with.

Metta

Gabe
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

or start as you wish to carry on.

John Stuart Mill
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Manapa wrote:or start as you wish to carry on.
its a progressive progressive process.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Hey, Manapa, you not talking to me anymore? I asked you something.

Sorry if I annoyed you, then don't reply.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Annabel wrote:Hey, Manapa, you not talking to me anymore? I asked you something.

Sorry if I annoyed you, then don't reply.
no annoyance, sorry
I didn't study aureveda, I studied Massage, Aromatherapy, Reflexology, sports therapy,and a few others.

John Stuart Mill
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Cool! For a job?