Drawing parallels with nature to rationalize Buddhism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mettafuture

Re: Drawing parallels with nature to rationalize Buddhism

Post by mettafuture » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:22 pm

I was only curious as to how others reconciled their belief in certain Buddhist concepts.
rightviewftw wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:04 am
I think one will probably end up very confused trying to reconcile kamma with natural selection because both concepts are not very well pinned down in general.
I don't think I'm confused. As I said above, I'm not looking for deep connections between the Dhamma and nature, just something to facilitate intuition as I haven't found anything stronger to draw experiential faith from.
Laurens wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:25 am
Rebirth and past kamma relate so little to day to day practise that you don't have to make analogies, and draw parallels in order to make yourself believe them.
I'm not necessarily trying to make myself believe in anything. I only sought ways to fortify my confidence in the teachings as confidence is a factor for stream-entry.
Bundokji wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:39 am
Understanding the law of Kamma makes us more skillful in selecting our thoughts. We don't only select views because they are accurate, but we become more aware of how views have consequences especially to our behavior.
Good posting, indeed.
Dinsdale wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:21 am
The natural world is full of impermanence, full of conditionality, and there is both beauty and suffering. And I am part of that natural world.
The teachings on the elements appear to reinforce this point.

:namaste:

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:27 pm

mettafuture wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:22 pm
Bundokji wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:39 am
Understanding the law of Kamma makes us more skillful in selecting our thoughts. We don't only select views because they are accurate, but we become more aware of how views have consequences especially to our behavior.
Good posting, indeed.
Dinsdale wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:21 am
The natural world is full of impermanence, full of conditionality, and there is both beauty and suffering. And I am part of that natural world.
The teachings on the elements appear to reinforce this point.
Natural selection (in a nutshell) weeds out those characteristics which are not conducive to survival and keeps those things which are best for the survival of the species. It's not the same, but similar to the way we weed out those unwholesome qualities, neuroses and cultivate the wholesome qualities so that we can make progress. It's not the same, but similar in a way and if that analogy helps one have greater conviction, faith, confidence in the teachings; then I think that is good.

Will

Post by Will » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:20 pm

If having confidence in some parts of the Dhamma is weak, then perhaps more dwelling on the parts you do have some understanding of will help. All Buddha's teachings fit together nicely, so deep thought will reveal surprising links.

Also study & ponder more on the amazing life of Buddha & his major disciples. When confidence in them grows, so does faith in their teachings grow.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- AN 10.1

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:38 pm

Off-topic posts removed to here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32289

:heart:
Mike