Theravada and Mahayana need each other

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
mikenz66

Re: Theravada and Mahayana need each other

Post by mikenz66 »

LuisR wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:45 pm Theravada does need Mahayan. Specially not Vajrayana. Tibetan monks have a bad reputation in the west. Theravada would do well to stay away from them.
Please be mindful of our Terms of Service, particularly:
d. Unsubstantiated allegations against individuals or traditions
There are various scandals in many areas. I don't think anyone would take the well-documented scandals involving Theravada monks to mean that Theravada Buddhism is worthless!

:heart:
Mike
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

I wasn't implying it was worthless, just that tibetan teachers have a bad reputation in the west.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

LuisR wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:06 pm I wasn't implying it was worthless, just that tibetan teachers have a bad reputation in the west.
That's a pity, isn't it? Just as bad Theravada monks are a travesty, since they bring Theravada into disrepute. However, I know many good Theravada monks, some very good Tibetan monks, and several very good Mahayana monastics (male and female), so I see the bad ones as an abberation.

Please return to addressing the OP, which seems to be about what aspects of Mahayana and Theravada doctrine might be helpful to the other tradition.

:heart:
Mike