MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Forthcoming Changes to the DW Forums

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Pseudobabble

Re: MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Forthcoming Changes to the DW Forums

Post by Pseudobabble » Thu May 31, 2018 5:33 am

Good plan.

I predict some nuclear-grade flame wars though. And the balance of political leanings must be right among the staff.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu May 31, 2018 5:42 am

Greetings Pseudobabble,

It's a good point. Whilst I'm not going to prescribe it, I would hope that the new forum takes on board Thich Nhat Hanh’s Fourteen Precepts of Engaged Buddhism. Those I have bolded below seem particularly pertinent to the point you raise.
1. Do not be idolatrous about or bound to any doctrine, theory, or ideology, even Buddhist ones. Buddhist systems of thought are guiding means; they are not absolute truth.

2. Do not think the knowledge you presently possess is changeless, absolute truth. Avoid being narrow-minded and bound to present views. Learn and practice nonattachment from views in order to be open to receive others’ viewpoints. Truth is found in life and not merely in conceptual knowledge. Be ready to learn throughout your entire life and to observe reality in yourself and in the world at all times.

3. Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education. However, through compassionate dialogue, help others renounce fanaticism and narrowness.

4. Do not avoid contact with suffering or close your eyes before suffering. Do not lose awareness of the existence of suffering in the life of the world. Find ways to be with those who are suffering, including personal contact, visits, images, and sounds. By such means, awaken yourself and others to the reality of suffering in the world.

5. Do not accumulate wealth while millions are hungry. Do not take as the aim of your life Fame, profit, wealth, or sensual pleasure. Live simply and share time, energy, and material resources with those who are in need.

6. Do not maintain anger or hatred. Learn to penetrate and transform them when they are still seeds in your consciousness. As soon as they arise, turn your attention to your breath in order to see and understand the nature of your hatred.

7. Do not lose yourself in dispersion and in your surroundings. Practice mindful breathing to come back to what is happening in the present moment. Be in touch with what is wondrous, refreshing, and healing both inside and around you. Plant seeds of joy, peace, and understanding in yourself in order to facilitate the work of transformation in the depths of your consciousness.

8. Do not utter words that can create discord and cause the community to break. Make every effort to reconcile and resolve all conflicts, however small.

9. Do not say untruthful things for the sake of personal interest or to impress people. Do not utter words that cause division and hatred. Do not spread news that you do not know to be certain. Do not criticize or condemn things of which you are not sure. Always speak truthfully and constructively. Have the courage to speak out about situations of injustice, even when doing so may threaten your own safety.

10. Do not use the Buddhist community for personal gain or profit, or transform your community into a political party. A religious community, however, should take a clear stand against oppression and injustice and should strive to change the situation without engaging in partisan conflicts

11. Do not live with a vocation that is harmful to humans and nature. Do not invest in companies that deprive others of their chance to live. Select a vocation that helps realize your ideal of compassion.

12. Do not kill. Do not let others kill. Find whatever means possible to protect life and prevent war.

13. Possess nothing that should belong to others. Respect the property of others, but prevent others from profiting from human suffering or the suffering of other species on Earth.

14. Do not mistreat your body. Learn to handle it with respect. Do not look on your body as only an instrument. Preserve vital energies (sexual, breath, spirit) for the realization of the Way. (For brothers and sisters who are not monks and nuns:) Sexual expression should not take place without love and commitment. In sexual relationships, be aware of future suffering that may be caused. To preserve the happiness of others, respect the rights and commitments of others. Be fully aware of the responsibility of bringing new lives into the world. Meditate on the world into which you are bringing new beings.
Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Thu May 31, 2018 6:42 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:07 pm
we will be closing down discussion in the "News, Current Events & Politics" and "Lounge" forums indefinitely, and converting those forums to read-only archives.
I would suggest either keep them open or delete them from public view forever.

Keeping them frozen is not a viable option.

All things are impermanent and so are our opinions (such as my view of TG community changed from revulsion to tolerance).

If you only allow the old opinions to remain (and be read) .. that is unfair .. a person might change and without these sub-forums have no way to demonstrate their change.

An old member X might be judged by a new member Y in 2022 because of what X said in 2017.

So remove them from public view altogether ..

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu May 31, 2018 6:46 am

Greetings No_Mind,

If you have specific posts in those forums that you once made that you would like to see deleted, send me a URL or report the posts in question, and I will happily delete them for you.

Metta,
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Thu May 31, 2018 6:55 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:46 am
Greetings No_Mind,

If you have specific posts in those forums that you once made that you would like to see deleted, send me a URL or report the posts in question, and I will happily delete them for you.

Metta,
Oh no. It was not about me. I have not written anything that I want deleted

It is just that newer members will get to know a lot more about older members and that is slightly unfair to the first 10,000 members.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

budo

Post by budo » Thu May 31, 2018 7:41 am

Good work :twothumbsup:

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Thu May 31, 2018 10:34 am

unexpected outcome
Sadhu

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Thu May 31, 2018 12:58 pm

:thumbsup:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Thu May 31, 2018 1:22 pm

It would seem that indeed the moderators can't accept criticism of their political ideas. The poll should never have included people who opt out of the news, current events forum, so I guess the long running global warming thread is another casualty of this policy.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

denise

Post by denise » Thu May 31, 2018 1:58 pm

hello Retro...would it be a large task to delete all "denise" posts? if not, could you please delete all? would find it rather refreshing...clean slate...thanks for what you can do....be well d :anjali:

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu May 31, 2018 5:36 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
It had formerly been our intention, since the inception of Dhamma Wheel over nine years ago to "provide a time and place for all discussion of interest to Theravāda Buddhists". Unfortunately in recent times, the inability of certain members to tolerate and abide the presence of political views that differ from their own, means that discussions which had a political bent tended to generate more heat than light, and this inability to engage and communicate in a healthy manner tended to spill over into other areas of the forum. We accept that this political polarization is not specific or unique to Dhamma Wheel in 2018, but we have deemed that the intolerance and disdain that was being expressed towards other members and towards staff was not conducive to an effectively functioning on-line Buddhist community.
I guess you forgot the intolerance and disdain shown by the forum staff.

The real problem with this forum has been the returning admin, who has who has poured his political bias all over this forum. In my opinion to a far greater extent than any other member.

Let's hope the new forums prosper.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu May 31, 2018 5:58 pm

Excellent news.

SDC

Post by SDC » Thu May 31, 2018 6:17 pm

Mr Man wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:36 pm
The real problem with this forum has been the returning admin, who has who has poured his political bias all over this forum. In my opinion to a far greater extent than any other member.
You were right on top of him the whole time. What does that say about you?

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Thu May 31, 2018 8:29 pm

Thank you to DW staff for the poll, listening to diverse opinions, and working with that complexity to come up with significant changes. I hope it works well. However it turns out, your wholesome intentions are assumed, appreciated, and of course are central to your kamma!
:anjali:
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the world creating friction. [Sn4:9,v.847]

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu May 31, 2018 8:55 pm

Greetings,
retrofuturist wrote:
"Unfortunately in recent times, the inability of certain members to tolerate and abide the presence of political views that differ from their own, means that discussions which had a political bent tended to generate more heat than light, and this inability to engage and communicate in a healthy manner tended to spill over into other areas of the forum."
Thanks to those who have since outed themselves, without even needing to being named, for their live (and all too familiar) demonstrations of what was spoken of above.

Metta,