Should starbucks allow non- customers to use restrooms and seating?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.

1. absolutely they should. Starbucks is a public place.
16%
2.No. toilets and seating should be for paying customers.
26%
3. If they are not busy, it is fine. But it seens unfair if paying customers cant get a seat or have to lineup for the toilet while it is being used by non- customers.
37%
4. yes. and starbucks should also provide simple beds and showers so that homeless people have a refuge
21%

Total votes: 19

robertk

Post by robertk » Fri May 25, 2018 9:55 am

Disclosure: I have a starbucks 5 minutes walk away from my apartment.

Sam Vara

Re: Should starbucks allow non- customers to use restrooms and seating?

Post by Sam Vara » Fri May 25, 2018 10:25 am

No. 3 for me.

What seems to be most important is sensible compassionate managers who don't just react, and who don't blindly follow orders from "head office".

Skill in creating Latte-foam images of the Dhamma-Wheel would also be good.

budo

Post by budo » Fri May 25, 2018 10:33 am

No 3 is the most reasonable because I may not be a paying customer in that moment, but I have been many times in the past and will be many times in the future.

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Fri May 25, 2018 11:51 am

A customer can buy one latte or one scone and sit in the store playing on their computer for hours and there seem to be few complaints. Additional paying customers still have to wait for a seat, so there's really minimal difference whether the person buys something or not.

robertk

Post by robertk » Fri May 25, 2018 12:27 pm

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-05- ... ss-shelter

Starbucks' controversial decision to enable every Tom, Dick, and non-paying Harry to use their restrooms has sparked equal parts criticism and praise, mirroring the nation's increasingly extreme partisan perspective on every- and any-thing...

“It sounds like Starbucks is turning their stores into homeless shelters. Their coffee is strong but their management is weak,” said Ron Raduechel, a 64-year-old retired supply chain executive from Waukesha, Wis., who said he would no longer go to Starbucks.

“I believe Starbucks is doing what’s right in their hearts whether its outcome sparks negativity or not,” said Johnny Varela, a 31-year-old carpenter in Orlando, Fla.

“I think Starbucks is very humanitarian.”

Starbucks has been forced to issue a second statement to explain its new policy following complaints that it would turn cafes into homeless shelters and drug havens.

As The Wall Street Journal reports, employees now have detailed instructions on what to do if someone is behaving in a disruptive manner, such as smoking, using drugs or alcohol, using restrooms improperly or sleeping.

Under the procedures for handling disruptive guests, Starbucks said Monday, managers and baristas should first ask a fellow employee to verify that a certain behavior is disruptive and if it is, respectfully request that the customer stop.

Other examples of disruptive behavior include talking too loudly, playing loud music and viewing inappropriate content. The company provided employees with examples of when they should call 911, which includes when a customer is using or selling drugs.

Starbucks’s piecemeal messaging on the issue and the outpouring of commentary that ensued shows the challenges firms can face in an era when every corporate move can be immediately telegraphed and then dissected by the public at large.

“Often the people with the strongest views on either end of the spectrum will be the loudest online,” said Jeremy Robinson-Leon, president of Group Gordon, a corporate and crisis ..
However, as the reactions from viewers of CBS LA's recent story about Starbucks' new policy suggest, customers are outraged...

“If you go into a business and you just sit there and you don’t buy anything you are taking up space at the table,” said Melrose Larry Green.

“You could end up having a squatters problem where you just have people coming and staying. I mean if they are going to do that they need to limit how long people can stay in there,” said Joe Selva.

One viewer said “it will be a homeless camp. At least we won’t have to deal with them on the street.”

That is a concern some employees have.

“We get attacked a lot. Hollywood Boulevard. So I feel like obviously if you get attacked then we have the right to say no. We have the right to say no and call the police,” said Starbucks employee Ayumi.

The story itself then received a barrage of negative responses...

Richard Magnuson: Liberal dopey enablers of the bums. Typical.

challenger392: They’re right.. every bum in the area will now hangout there and they ain’t buying anything. All anyone has to do is say they’re a racist and they will get a free Java.

DB (@VillageViking): Don’t forget to take your can of Lysol to starbutts with you...just in case you need to use the restroom!

Fluoric (@Fluoric): Well done /pol/. You’re doing God’s work and it’s wonderful.

Dana Blasi: I’m so excited Starbucks restrooms are now open to the homeless,street people and the wandering mentally ill .This is bound to enhance the Starbucks guest experience even more than the “let’s talk about race” promotion did... of course regular customers will no longer be using the restrooms as the above will be camping out in there for hours .

We leave it to Eric Schiffer, chairman of Reputation Management Consultants, to summarize just where this desperate social justice warrior corporate behavior will end... “Starbucks is making a strategic bet that by defining its own moral code they will continue to attract a core consumer group that will remain loyal, but you max out on that demographic at some point.

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Fri May 25, 2018 2:06 pm

There's definitely a ceiling on this policy.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri May 25, 2018 3:18 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:06 pm
Yes.

An example: For a while, the local university library allowed everyone free access to the internet, regardless whether they were members of the library or not.
The library quickly became a kind of homeless shelter, where many homeless people would sit side by side with students and other users of the library (students of the local university are automatically also members of the university library). The homeless people were not exactly doing education and research related things in the library. They often used the computers for watching Youtube videos. I once saw an elderly man who crocheted at a study desk.

The library eventually limited the use of library computers to members only (one has to type in one's member number), and the homeless people mostly left the library study area. Some still hang out in the lobby where there is a sitting space with current domestic and international newspapers and magazines.

I voted for option 2: toilets and seating should be for paying customers.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

denise

Post by denise » Fri May 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Guess this might turn into a big can of worms for Starbucks....if frequenting a business and this became part of that business's atmosphere ...would surely avoid going there....just a cup of coffee or tea please.....not a exercise in sorrow...get enough of that on a daily basis from sources that don't charge for it...don't need the extra feel really sad stuff with my pricey beverage.... :weep:

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Fri May 25, 2018 4:35 pm

Starbucks is a large company and can choose to do whatever they want and handle whatever consequences they want. It is none of my business which they choose and I have no control over it anyway.

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Fri May 25, 2018 4:48 pm

Question for those who do not live in the US - in general, does your country have public restrooms available?

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Fri May 25, 2018 5:34 pm

binocular wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:18 pm
Pseudobabble wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:06 pm
Yes.

An example: For a while, the local university library allowed everyone free access to the internet, regardless whether they were members of the library or not.
The library quickly became a kind of homeless shelter, where many homeless people would sit side by side with students and other users of the library (students of the local university are automatically also members of the university library). The homeless people were not exactly doing education and research related things in the library. They often used the computers for watching Youtube videos. I once saw an elderly man who crocheted at a study desk.

The library eventually limited the use of library computers to members only (one has to type in one's member number), and the homeless people mostly left the library study area. Some still hang out in the lobby where there is a sitting space with current domestic and international newspapers and magazines.

I voted for option 2: toilets and seating should be for paying customers.
I will go off topic because I read something I find to be unthinkable. I apologize in advance.

I find it interesting that public can enter a library without proper identification card of that library.

Here, everywhere you go .. you need to have proper id card for that place (if I visit two libraries .. a different id card for each of them)

Coming to our version of Starbucks style cafes .. you have to order something after entering or the staff will ask you to leave. With every order you get about 35 minutes time to consume and leave (20 minutes at rush hour ..) .. if the order amount is huge then maybe an hour. They do not usually have restrooms.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Fri May 25, 2018 6:58 pm

Again not surprised by the lack of compassion from forum members, Have you never needed to go to the bathroom and they said no because you weren't a customer??
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri May 25, 2018 10:15 pm

Greetings Lyndon,
lyndon taylor wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:58 pm
Have you never needed to go to the bathroom and they said no because you weren't a customer??
I don't think so, but then, in such a circumstance where there might be agree of urgency about matters, I would happily make a minor purchase in order to become a customer.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Fri May 25, 2018 10:21 pm

What if you have no money?? Do you even care about people that have no money????
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri May 25, 2018 10:24 pm

Greetings Lyndon,
lyndon taylor wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:21 pm
What if you have no money?? Do you even care about people that have no money????
Of course. That's why I support successful, heroic leaders whose economic policies support the establishment of "full employment", so that there can be a job for anyone who wants one.

This sense of entitlement that a private company somehow "owes us free stuff" is alien to me.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)