Trump and the NHS

If you wish to raise new topics on News, Current Events & Politics, please do so at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
Locked
Meezer77
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 5:43 pm
Location: Scotland

Trump and the NHS

Post by Meezer77 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:28 pm

This is worrying. There’s a rumour that he is going to use trade talks to force the NHS has to pay more for life saving drugs. Hope this is fake news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42943768

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 5330
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Trump and the NHS

Post by Sam Vara » Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 pm

Where did you hear the rumour about trade and drugs? The BBC article seems to be about no more than his predictable disdain for the NHS, and his possible misunderstanding of the motives behind a protest march.

Meezer77
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 5:43 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Trump and the NHS

Post by Meezer77 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:07 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 pm
Where did you hear the rumour about trade and drugs? The BBC article seems to be about no more than his predictable disdain for the NHS, and his possible misunderstanding of the motives behind a protest march.
From an email asking me to sign a petition to make trade deals more transparent. Could be scaremongering , but then again not entirely impossible.

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 5330
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Trump and the NHS

Post by Sam Vara » Mon May 21, 2018 10:12 pm

Meezer77 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:07 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 pm
Where did you hear the rumour about trade and drugs? The BBC article seems to be about no more than his predictable disdain for the NHS, and his possible misunderstanding of the motives behind a protest march.
From an email asking me to sign a petition to make trade deals more transparent. Could be scaremongering , but then again not entirely impossible.
Ah, thanks. I'm sure Trump would have few scruples regarding the NHS if it came to a choice between that and putting "America First" in a trade deal; that's his mandate. One would hope that our negotiators would be putting "Britain First" in response!

I hadn't heard of this one, though, and to me it looks like a peculiarly British strain of TDS.

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 21244
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Trump and the NHS

Post by retrofuturist » Mon May 21, 2018 10:20 pm

Greetings,
Sam Vara wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:12 pm
One would hope that our negotiators would be putting "Britain First" in response!

I hadn't heard of this one, though, and to me it looks like a peculiarly British strain of TDS.
Agreed on both counts.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

Meezer77
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 5:43 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Trump and the NHS

Post by Meezer77 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:51 pm

What’s TDS? Googled it but nothin coming up

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 16872
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Re: Trump and the NHS

Post by mikenz66 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:05 pm

This issue of drug prices isn't just a Trump thing, or possibly even a US thing. New Zealand (presumably like the UK) negotiates with drug companies about which drugs will be funded. I recall that the US has objected before that the procedure is anti-competitive (which trade negotiations is code for: "my companies can't make as much profit as they would like").

:heart:
Mike

User avatar
Dhammanando
Posts: 4462
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:44 pm
Location: Jaroen Dhamma Cave, Mae Wang Huai Rin, Lamphun

Re: Trump and the NHS

Post by Dhammanando » Tue May 22, 2018 3:59 am

Meezer77 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:51 pm
What’s TDS? Googled it but nothin coming up
Trump Derangement Syndrome

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/trump-der ... t-syndrome
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

Dinsdale
Posts: 6532
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Andromeda looks nice

Re: Trump and the NHS

Post by Dinsdale » Tue May 22, 2018 8:43 am

Meezer77 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:28 pm
This is worrying. There’s a rumour that he is going to use trade talks to force the NHS has to pay more for life saving drugs. Hope this is fake news.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42943768
I've heard the US wants a share of private health provision in the UK ( the NHS commissions quite a lot of services from private contractors ).
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Meezer77
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 5:43 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Trump and the NHS

Post by Meezer77 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:25 pm

Dhammanando wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:59 am
Meezer77 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:51 pm
What’s TDS? Googled it but nothin coming up
Trump Derangement Syndrome

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/trump-der ... t-syndrome
Thanks. Can you get pills for it? 😊

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests