Has Trump done anything against PC culture since he won the presidency, or was it just rhetoric ?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Circle5

Has Trump done anything against PC culture since he won the presidency, or was it just rhetoric ?

Post by Circle5 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:51 pm

He has run on an anti-PC rhetoric, yet what has he done since winning the presidency regarding this aspect ? Had he only used this as political rhetoric or has he actually done anything concrete against this ? For example: has he taken any measures against campus craziness in universities, alternative postmodern history of europeans taught in classrooms, etc. ? I don't know, name me anything concrete done against PC.

Note that I haven't been checking US politics after elections ended so I am not informed. I was happy that he won because he's a liberal (economically) and especially because he seamed to be against this new authoritarian ideology that became popular in english-speaking countries in recent years. But has he done anything concrete against it since becoming president or has he simply used it as empty rhetoric to his own advantage while doing nothing important against it ?

Grigoris

Re: Has Trump done anything against PC culture since he won the presidency, or was it just rhetoric ?

Post by Grigoris » Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 pm

:rofl:
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Has Trump done anything against PC culture since he won the presidency, or was it just rhetoric ?

Post by retrofuturist » Wed May 16, 2018 10:39 pm

Greetings Circle5,
Circle5 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:51 pm
I don't know, name me anything concrete done against PC.
Politically correctness is more of a cultural thing, than a legal thing, so culturally, he has done what needed to be done in order to remove its potency - namely, not pandering to it. The fact that he doesn't pander to, nor accept the situational framings of the PC brigade, the globalists, and the corrupt swamp monsters is how he helps the West overcome PC culture. (Maybe he learned this lesson from Dhamma Wheel? 8-) )

Whether someone supports his agenda or not, it's hard to deny that Trump just gets on with brilliantly executing the MAGA agenda which he ran on. Triggering those who are intolerant of it is just a positive externality of his success.

Winning 1 def. Whining 0.

The psychological roots of liberals’ Trump depression—and what comes next

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:51 am

I agree that is something. Also he has kept up his promise regarding the tax reform. But can't there be something done about PC culture legally ? Most books based on postmodern critical theory are highly xenophobic against some european ethnic groups. Also many things that fall under the category of "campus crazyness" are illegal. I remember reading something long ago about Trump trying to do something about campus craziness but I don't remember what the story was about and I don't think anything came out of it.

In my opinion the xenophobic books can be removed from curriculum. Nobody is asking to ban them, no books should be banned. But removing them from curriculum is something perfectly legal and normal, same as nazist or communist books are not part of the curriculum. This kind of thing is dependent upon government in my country, but I don't know how much autonomy do schools in USA have.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Thu May 17, 2018 2:17 am

Circle5 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:51 pm
For example: has he taken any measures against campus craziness in universities, alternative postmodern history of europeans taught in classrooms, etc. ? I don't know, name me anything concrete done against PC.... I was happy that he won because he's a liberal (economically)
Sounds very totalitarian. Respectfully, you are not a "Westerner" and appear to have absolutely no idea about the different Western nations. For example, do you have any knowledge about how politically divided Australia was historically? Do you know anything about how Australia came to exist as a British & European nation and how that coming to be affected the divided political views of the nation? You seem to post an ideology of "greed".
Circle5 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:51 am
Also he has kept up his promise regarding the tax reform. But can't there be something done about PC culture legally..
"Tax reform"?? Lol... now that is an example of "PC". Many call it "tax theft". I doubt a nation with government debt amounting to $65,000 per person & a massive trade deficit can afford to cut corporate taxes from 35% to 21%; particularly when the real rate of taxation is often as low as 14%. You may not be aware but the yield on US 10 year bonds just broke 3% and the 30 year bond is 3.2%. The US govt needs to attract lenders to fund its growing debt and the interest rates will likely continue to rise over the next year, increasing the general cost of money and increasing the amount of the repayments. With pushing sanctions on Iran the price of oil will also rise. What is happening in the USA appears to be the "looting" of the Treasury before the economic system collapses.
Circle5 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:51 am
In my opinion the xenophobic books can be removed from curriculum. Nobody is asking to ban them, no books should be banned. But removing them from curriculum is something perfectly legal and normal, same as nazist or communist books are not part of the curriculum. This kind of thing is dependent upon government in my country, but I don't know how much autonomy do schools in USA have.
This sounds like non-sense. I would suggest people learn what Communism was about; namely, a reaction to the "Liberal Economics" of the Industrial Revolution. You seem to not be aware that merely 100 years ago the average American worker was living in squalor & poverty. Then Nazism arose; as a reaction to Communism. These political systems just go round in circles. It is best to learn about history rather than ban books. More importantly, it is probably best to take refuge in Dhamma (which is not "liberal economics") or, at the very least, use a Dhamma website to learn about Dhamma rather than push the economic ideas of Mara. :roll:
Never ordained... not an anonymous-online-bhikkhu or ex-bhikkhu...

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 am

DooDoot wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:17 am
"Tax reform"?? Lol... now that is an example of "PC". Many call it "tax theft". I doubt a nation with government debt amounting to $65,000 per person & a massive trade deficit can afford to cut corporate taxes from 35% to 21%;
It was the literally the biggest corporate tax level in the world. Nobody was even close to 35%. It my country it's 5% on turnover for under half a million businises and 16% flat tax on profit otherwise. You can chose which one of these you want depending on your business. And that's why we keep being nr 1 fastest growing economy in europe. Most succesful economies of the world (for example Switzerland) are all in the liberal extreme.

Good luck to USA competing with Romania and other countries in the IT sector or any other sector that does not absolutally require you to be physically in USA.
This sounds like non-sense. I would suggest people learn what Communism was about; namely, a reaction to the "Liberal Economics" of the Industrial Revolution. You seem to not be aware that merely 100 years ago the average American worker was living in squalor & poverty. Then Nazism arose; as a reaction to Communism. These political systems just go round in circles.
Communism was a reaction to the feudal system. It got somehow popular in Russia due to being the only other option to the Tzar feudal system and it's corruption. Remember serfdom was abolished in eastern europe in the same year as slavery was abolished in USA. This primitive economic theory did not even get popular in this part of the world in perfect conditions. After WW2, when communism was imposed through force in eastern europe, it has extremelly low support. In my country it had just 12% support when it was forced down our throats through the use of tanks.
Last edited by Circle5 on Thu May 17, 2018 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

pulga

Post by pulga » Thu May 17, 2018 2:58 am

DooDoot wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:17 am

"Tax reform"?? Lol... now that is an example of "PC". Many call it "tax theft".
CBO forecasts largest-ever monthly surplus as record tax receipts pour in

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Thu May 17, 2018 3:21 am

The above is about the month of April.
The agency chalked up the difference to greater payments of individual income taxes in April, when tax returns and certain taxpayers’ quarterly estimated payments are due.
The reality is below:
The expected April surplus, meanwhile, isn’t keeping the U.S. from running a wider budget deficit for the fiscal year to date. For the first seven months of the budget year, the shortfall totals $382 billion, or $37 billion more than the same period a year ago, CBO estimates. The CBO recently estimated the full-year deficit would be $804 billion, and that trillion-dollar deficits would return in 2020.

For the fiscal year to date, corporate income tax receipts have fallen by 22%, CBO said. Corporations made their first estimated tax payments for the 2018 tax year in April, as well as their final payments of taxes for 2017. The new tax law cut the corporate rate to 21% from 35%.
:alien:
Circle5 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 am
Communism was a reaction to the feudal system.
"Capitalism" is the 'Feudal System", where the "capital" (the "land") was controlled by private or oligarchical interests. Marx wrote his Communist theories in London rather than Moscow. The majority of the Russian people who revolted against the Tsar were not seeking Bolshevik Communism. However, the Bolshevik Communists were obviously better armed, funded & organised. They looted Russia; just as Trump is looting the USA. The "Neo-Cons" who have been dictating the US govt since the administration of Bill Clinton derive from the Trotskyites.

@4:03 Chomsky seems to describe Circle5 very well :lol:

Last edited by DooDoot on Thu May 17, 2018 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:46 am

"Capitalism" is the 'Feudal System", where the "capital" (the "land") was controlled by private or oligarchical interests
In that period the political fight was between "conservatives" and "liberals". Same went even in my Romania which was a western country and had democracy for a century before communism was imposed on us.

Conservatives meant the old aristrocracy owning land. Liberals meant the new industrialist, the "new rich", the first of the modern capitalist. This was the political divide for a century. So don't confuse one with the other.

As a matter of fact, the liberal party that we still have today and is nr 2 biggest party is the same liberal party from the 1800s, it's the oldest party of Romania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamen ... th_Century

blue- conservatives, yellow - liberals - same as it is today everywhere else except USA. Liberal = right wing economically, parties usually descendent of the old liberals, first capitalist.
Last edited by Circle5 on Thu May 17, 2018 3:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

pulga

Post by pulga » Thu May 17, 2018 3:47 am

DooDoot wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:21 am

The reality is below:
The expected April surplus, meanwhile, isn’t keeping the U.S. from running a wider budget deficit for the fiscal year to date. For the first seven months of the budget year, the shortfall totals $382 billion, or $37 billion more than the same period a year ago, CBO estimates. The CBO recently estimated the full-year deficit would be $804 billion, and that trillion-dollar deficits would return in 2020.

For the fiscal year to date, corporate income tax receipts have fallen by 22%, CBO said. Corporations made their first estimated tax payments for the 2018 tax year in April, as well as their final payments of taxes for 2017. The new tax law cut the corporate rate to 21% from 35%.
I do agree with you that rising interest rates are going to be a threat to the economy, especially given the massive corporate debt that accumulated due to President Obama's monetary policies. But the whole issue of tax revenue is more nuanced than simply the collection of income taxes.

But remember, income taxes are hardly the only source of revenue for the federal government. And a faster-growing economy means more money pouring in from these other sources.

Payroll taxes, for example, are dependent on the number of people working and their wages. In February, the economy added 313,000 jobs, unemployment levels are now at or near record lows, and wages are climbing.

As a result, payroll taxes brought in $1.5 billion more in February than they did last year, and are up $11.4 billion this fiscal year. Federal excise taxes and customs duties are up $3.8 billion and $1 billion, respectively, this fiscal year.
Federal Tax Revenues Hit Record Highs — Are Trump's Tax Cuts Paying For Themselves?

As for the budget deficit, President Trump is working on lowering it. Albeit it is still too high.

Trump Sends Spending Rescission Request to Congress

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Thu May 17, 2018 3:58 am

pulga wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:47 am
As for the budget deficit, President Trump is working on lowering it.
Shooting govt funded missiles into Syria and probably giving Israel lots of freebies won't reduce the deficit. It is unlikely Trump can lower the deficit because the article you posted appears to explicitly said it wont happen. The deficit has climbed under Trump. It easy to cut the necessary welfare expenditure for the lower classes but its not easy to cut the spending that benefits the upper classes (such as military spending that benefits the military corporations) and also difficult to cut the government bureaucracy expenditure upon which the system of cronyism, totalitarianism and govt looting depends . The USA spends more on military than probably the rest of the first world combined. The USA cannot address its govt debt problems unless it greatly reduces military spending. Henry Ford was an example of an innovative industrialist who at least ran his worker relationships according to Dhamma. Dhamma ensures workers are paid sufficiently to live a decent life and, after that, the businessmen take the cream or profits. The USA is so far away from Dhamma. Many Western nations are far closer to Dhamma than the USA. The USA is a Plutocracy. Regards
Circle5 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:46 am
Conservatives meant the old aristrocracy owning land. Liberals meant the new industrialist, the "new rich", the first of the modern capitalist. This was the political divide for a century. So don't confuse one with the other.
The labels & group make little difference. While often the above two groups were the same people, regardless, its all a battle for control; similar to how in modern economy the large corporations generally get larger by taking over or bankrupting smaller businesses. Unlike you, I am a Westerner and have witnessed the demise of a reasonable economic system during my lifetime. "Liberal economics" already failed up to 1929. It will fail again. I told my economics teacher when I was 16 years old that Milton Friedman was wrong. Now please watch this video at @4:03 where Chomsky seems to describe Circle5 very well :lol: . Note: I only saw this video this week. I am no follower of Chomsky even though he occasionally shares the most basic views of reality, such as in this brilliant video. :geek: :mrgreen:

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:16 pm

I am a Westerner and have witnessed the demise of a reasonable economic system during my lifetime. "Liberal economics" already failed up to 1929. It will fail again.
Take a look at this graph particularly at USA. Does this look like failure to you ? https://www.google.com/publicdata/explo ... &ind=false

Everything has already been tried and failed. Only thing that works is free market capitalism, that's why every country on this earth switched to it. The only debate left is how big taxation and redistribution of wealth should be. And even here the debate is very small, only very small variations are allowed.

This is simply what is most efficient. You variate a little from the script and you get economic stagnation. You variate a little more and you get your economy back to the stone age.
Now please watch this video at @4:03 where Chomsky seems to describe Circle5 very well :lol: . Note: I only saw this video this week. I am no follower of Chomsky even though he occasionally shares the most basic views of reality, such as in this brilliant video.
I know this guy. I like his criticism of postmodernism, but this video is childish. "Intellectuals" will always have a problem: living with their head stuck up into theories, interpreting real world events according to these theories, etc. Most of the time they end up saying useless things, making useless and highly off the mark concusions.

Let's take this video for example. These intelectuals that he is speaking about have no importance in politics in real world. Their only importance is among their group of friends, nobody else cares about them. Whatever decisions are made in economics are based on pragmatism and on what economist say. They are based on real life knowledge about the economy, not on what these children with no knowledge of economics say. The fight to take the vote of the plebs is done based on what experienced propagandist that bring in results say and is 101% based on pragmatism, nobody could care less about these collage teachers and their theories. They have almost no influence in political life, they just like to think they have to conflate their importance.

The point that he makes at the end and that you say is directed at me is only half correct. True, the masses are made to vote for one or another by wise people and their opinion should not matter when it comes to the economy or foreign affairs or pretty much anything. But they do have an instrumental importance. Their job is that of an alarm bell. If a party goes severely off the script (starts being authoritarian, etc.) the plebs will react and stop the problem. They also take corrupt politicians out of the game. The role of the plebs is that of a policeman. The democratic system is designed in such a way to have checks and ballances. And that is why it has succeded. Corruption levels are orders of magnitude bigger in non-democratic countries.

The quality of the plebs is also very important. For example in UK, a prime minister resigned cause o being caught stealing a couple hundred pounds. In Romania our shadow prime minister, leader of the socialist party has stolen 23 million euros, is under investigation by the european commision and had already been convicted for vote fraud. A lot of places from his county had 170% vote presence. The guy is responsible for the numerous attempts to legalize corruption (feb 2017) and take control of the justice system (end of 2017 and 2018) But there is not too much pressure on him because the plebs just don't care about him being corrupt, corruption is not a biggie for many people that lived in communism. It's something normal, they are corrupt too. As long as he's cutting investment and rising their pensions, he could be Pol Pot as far as they're concerned. Most socialist voters would say this out loud and consider that voting with your belly means "being smart". They could not be less puritanical about it. Therefore, the quality of the plebs is also highly important in a democracy. Some can swallow more, some can swallow less. Some can swallow anything as long as you rise their pensions.

In UK or any western country, such a person would be out for small things such as making his sexy secretary a member of the parliament, the youngest in the history of RO. He also made his new wife, also 45 years old younger than him a member of the government. These things could not matter less even for the opposition but you could be taken out of politics by things as small as this in the UK or western countries because the quality of the plebs is higher.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu May 17, 2018 12:46 pm

Circle5 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:16 pm
For example in UK, a prime minister resigned cause o being caught stealing a couple hundred pounds.
Hi Circle5, who was that?

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pm

Mr Man wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:46 pm
Circle5 wrote:
For example in UK, a prime minister resigned cause o being caught stealing a couple hundred pounds.
I don't know his name, but it was a prime minister in recent years that resigned due to stealing some money for a trip that ended up not taking place.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Thu May 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Circle5 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pm
Mr Man wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:46 pm
Circle5 wrote:
I don't know his name, but it was a prime minister in recent years that resigned due to stealing some money for a trip that ended up not taking place.
You might be confusing a PM with an MP who got into trouble due to their Parliamentary expenses claim (there were quite a few of these in 2009/10) although there were few resignations.

Peter Mandelson who was close to PM Tony Blair twice resigned from the cabinet due to financial improprieties, but they were for large sums, and not simple fraud.

The "trip that didn't take place" sounds like former cabinet ministerJonathan Aitken's trial in the late '90s. He was jailed for perjury for claiming that family members had paid a £1000 hotel bill in Paris, when in fact it had been Saudi royals.

We poor long-suffering people in the UK have had some idiotic PMs over the years, but none were so stupid as to end their career over a matter as trivial as that.