If mind = brain

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sentinel

Re: If mind = brain

Post by sentinel »

Bundokji wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:02 pm
James Tan wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:59 pm I don't know what is mind , therefore , I am not able to tell you .
You are not alone!

Do you think a meaning of a word is what it stands for?
Isn't the car or apple is the word stands for the actual something ?! If not we are in a big trouble !
You always gain by giving
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Grigoris wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:35 pm If mind=brain then liberation would come with death, since brain matter cannot be reborn. That would make the idea mind=brain a nihilist position.
Could be, if the mind is brain , with the death come liberation, that is if everything is matter .
However , another possibility that one can
think is, the interaction between the brain and its object give rise to consciousness , it could be the brain acts as a medium for something supernatural to link up with the object . This consciousness is part of the supernatural that does not dissappear when human body disintegrates .
The consciousness is tainted with defilements hence carry on to the next life .
Unless , the defilements is eliminated , the rebirth take place once again .
santa100

Post by santa100 »

James Tan wrote:If mind = brain
There's no support in the Canon for that. The six sense bases are usually expressed as the five "physical" sense bases plus the mind. If the mind was the same as the brain, it would've been lumped together with the other five to be expressed as the six "physical" sense bases, but that isn't the case. Ven. Bodhi's note from "Connected Discourses":
Mano"/mentality serves as the third door of action (along with body and speech) and as the sixth internal sense base (along with the five physical sense bases); as the mind base it coordinates the data of the other five senses and also cognizes mental phenomena (dhamma), its own special class of objects. "Citta"/mind signifies mind as the centre of personal experience, as the subject of thought, volition, and emotion. It is citta that needs to be understood, trained, and liberated. For a more detailed discussion, see Hamilton, Identity and Experience, chap. 5.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

santa100 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:40 am
James Tan wrote:If mind = brain
There's no support in the Canon for that. The six sense bases are usually expressed as the five "physical" sense bases plus the mind. If the mind was the same as the brain, it would've been lumped together with the other five to be expressed as the six "physical" sense bases, but that isn't the case. Ven. Bodhi's note from "Connected Discourses":
Mano"/mentality serves as the third door of action (along with body and speech) and as the sixth internal sense base (along with the five physical sense bases); as the mind base it coordinates the data of the other five senses and also cognizes mental phenomena (dhamma), its own special class of objects. "Citta"/mind signifies mind as the centre of personal experience, as the subject of thought, volition, and emotion. It is citta that needs to be understood, trained, and liberated. For a more detailed discussion, see Hamilton, Identity and Experience, chap. 5.
Can you refer to any sutta ?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

James Tan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:51 am Can you refer to any sutta ?
There's no sutta that says mind is the brain. Can you?
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

santa100 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:05 am
James Tan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:51 am Can you refer to any sutta ?
There's no sutta that says mind is the brain. Can you?
No, I was wondering if you could refer sutta defining mind ?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

James Tan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:29 am No, I was wondering if you could refer sutta defining mind ?
There's a whole samyutta on the Salayatana here
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

santa100 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:39 am
James Tan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:29 am No, I was wondering if you could refer sutta defining mind ?
There's a whole samyutta on the Salayatana here
But, no specific definition found on mind itself .
santa100

Post by santa100 »

James Tan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:42 am But, no specific definition found on mind itself .
I saw your Read icon and assume you're the type who loves to read and at least browses thru those suttas first before responding.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

santa100 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:46 am
James Tan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:42 am But, no specific definition found on mind itself .
I saw your Read icon and assume you're the type who loves to read and at least browses thru those suttas first before responding.
I searched the mind , it does not come up with sutta provide definition . If there is one, perhaps I am not familiar with the search functionality .
santa100

Post by santa100 »

James Tan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:53 am I searched the mind , it does not come up with sutta provide definition . If there is one, perhaps I am not familiar with the search functionality .
That's the problem. You only want to "search", but not to "read". Maybe if you spend some times to actually read the suttas, you'll be able to find out the answer for yourself. If you don't want to do that, at least try replacing the Read icon with a Google icon or something. By the way, there're 61 posts with tons of resources/references from the thread What is the Sixth sense base where you're the OP!
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

santa100 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:01 am
James Tan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:53 am I searched the mind , it does not come up with sutta provide definition . If there is one, perhaps I am not familiar with the search functionality .
That's the problem. You only want to "search", but not to "read". Maybe if you spend some times to actually read the suttas, you'll be able to find out the answer for yourself. If you don't want to do that, at least try replacing the Read icon with a Google icon or something.
Let's see what you said earlier :

"There's no support in the Canon for that. The six sense bases are usually expressed as the five "physical" sense bases plus the mind. If the mind was the same as the brain, it would've been lumped together with the other five to be expressed as the six "physical" sense bases "

I didn't say the mind is the brain , I say IF .
The problem is with you when you did not provide a definition to support your argument .
When I request you to give me a reference of the sutta that actually DEFINE mind, you cannot come up with one .
The problem is , there is No definition on the mind itself in the nikaya or Chinese Agama which I already searches .

IF YOU CAN COME UP WITH ONE IN THE SUTTA ,
I salute you !
Last edited by sentinel on Tue May 15, 2018 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

James Tan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:14 am Let's see what you said earlier :

"There's no support in the Canon for that. The six sense bases are usually expressed as the five "physical" sense bases plus the mind. If the mind was the same as the brain, it would've been lumped together with the other five to be expressed as the six "physical" sense bases "

The problem is with you when you did not provide a definition to support your argument .
When I request you to give me a reference of the sutta that actually DEFINE mind, you cannot come up with one .
The problem is , there is No definition on the mind itself in the nikaya or Chinese Agama which I already searches .
You're just a troll. And I already provided the proof for that. You ask the same thing again after 61 posts from folks who tried to help you in the "What is the Six Sense Base" thread.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

santa100 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:16 am
James Tan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:14 am Let's see what you said earlier :

You're just a troll. And I already provided the proof for that. You ask the same thing again after 61 posts from folks who tried to help you in the "What is the Six Sense Base" thread.
Come on santa100 , By Accusing me anything does not Answer the question , what is the meaning of mind ?!
santa100

Post by santa100 »

James Tan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:18 am Come on santa100 , By Accusing me anything does not Answer the question , what is the meaning of mind ?!
Knowing that you're a troll, there's no use for me to give info. Why would I give you any more info. if after 61 posts in the other threads, you still troll with the same topic? An irony you keep attaching that Read icon at the end in every post of yours.