Searching in Sri Lanka for a Monastery for Ordination

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Sroberto

Searching in Sri Lanka for a Monastery for Ordination

Post by Sroberto »

I am searching for a srilankan monastery to ordain but one that focuses on the suttas not abhidhamma. In other words, a focus on meditation, 4 noble truths, 8fold path, merit making, and not much more. Does anyone know of a monastery that fits this description or that permits such a path?
Sroberto

Searching in sri lanka

Post by Sroberto »

Hello. I am searching for a srilankan monastery to ordain but one that focuses on the suttas not abhidhamma. In other words, a focus on meditation, 4 noble truths, 8fold path, merit making, and not much more. Does anyone know of a monastery that fits this description or that permits such a path?
Sroberto

Searching in sri lanka

Post by Sroberto »

Hello. I am searching for a srilankan monastery to ordain but one that focuses on the suttas not abhidhamma. In other words, a focus on meditation, 4 noble truths, 8fold path, merit making, and not much more. Does anyone know of a monastery that fits this description or that permits such a path?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Searching in sri lanka

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:buddha2:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Where do you live? There are Sri Lankan temples in many nations, that serve ex-pat Sri Lankans in the U.S., Australia, the UK, etc. You could check some of those out in the country you live in. afaik, most don't put any demands on the monks for learning, studying Abhidhamma so that wouldn't be an issue at almost all monasteries. At many temples and monasteries the day is fairly equally divided between meditation, chanting, pastoral duties; studying texts is optional.
paul

Post by paul »

The main meditation monasteries in Sri Lanka would not provide the organised training you envisage, be aware of the language barrier. If you want that western-oriented training you should go to this Burmese forest monastery first, which has a connection with a Sri Lankan forest monastery, then go to Sri Lanka later.
https://www.paaukforestmonastery.org
Sroberto

Post by Sroberto »

DNS wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:22 am Where do you live? There are Sri Lankan temples in many nations, that serve ex-pat Sri Lankans in the U.S., Australia, the UK, etc. You could check some of those out in the country you live in. afaik, most don't put any demands on the monks for learning, studying Abhidhamma so that wouldn't be an issue at almost all monasteries. At many temples and monasteries the day is fairly equally divided between meditation, chanting, pastoral duties; studying texts is optional.
Thank you. I was advised that almost all monasteries in sri lanka give 3mphasis to abbhidhamma in formal training. I guess I was poorly advised.

I am in South America. All the few options here seem to be mayahana.

Sri lanka seems to be my best option
Sroberto

Post by Sroberto »

paul wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:30 am The main meditation monasteries in Sri Lanka would not provide the organised training you envisage, be aware of the language barrier. If you want that western-oriented training you should go to this Burmese forest monastery first, which has a connection with a Sri Lankan forest monastery, then go to Sri Lanka later.
Thank you. I was advised differently about the emphasis on abhidhamma. I guess i was poorly advised.

I have looked at Pa Auk but for some reason my inner voice tells me it is not the place for me, at least not the place to begin. I see too many western men coming and going at monasteries like Pa Auk, and too much negative view toward westerners by local monks. I just feel in sri lanka it is more stable and accepting.
BKh

Post by BKh »

You might want to check out this page

https://mahamevnawabm.org/ordination/
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Sroberto

Post by Sroberto »

Sroberto wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:59 am
paul wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:30 am The main meditation monasteries in Sri Lanka would not provide the organised training you envisage, be aware of the language barrier. If you want that western-oriented training you should go to this Burmese forest monastery first, which has a connection with a Sri Lankan forest monastery, then go to Sri Lanka later.
Thank you. I was advised differently about the emphasis on abhidhamma. I guess i was poorly advised.

I have looked at Pa Auk but for some reason my inner voice tells me it is not the place for me, at least not the place to begin. I see too many western men coming and going at monasteries like Pa Auk, and too much negative view toward westerners by local monks. I just feel in sri lanka it is more stable and accepting.
Also, might you know of any monasteries that support metta mexitation practice?
Sroberto

Post by Sroberto »

Sroberto wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:48 am
DNS wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:22 am Where do you live? There are Sri Lankan temples in many nations, that serve ex-pat Sri Lankans in the U.S., Australia, the UK, etc. You could check some of those out in the country you live in. afaik, most don't put any demands on the monks for learning, studying Abhidhamma so that wouldn't be an issue at almost all monasteries. At many temples and monasteries the day is fairly equally divided between meditation, chanting, pastoral duties; studying texts is optional.
Thank you. I was advised that almost all monasteries in sri lanka give 3mphasis to abbhidhamma in formal training. I guess I was poorly advised.

I am in South America. All the few options here seem to be mayahana.

Sri lanka seems to be my best option
Also, might you know of any monasteries that support metta mexitation practice?
Sroberto

Post by Sroberto »

Sroberto wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:38 am Hello. I am searching for a srilankan monastery to ordain but one that focuses on the suttas not abhidhamma. In other words, a focus on meditation, 4 noble truths, 8fold path, merit making, and not much more. Does anyone know of a monastery that fits this description or that permits such a path?
Also, might you know of any monasteries there that support metta meditation practice?