Does Buddhism needs marketing ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
binocular

Re: Does Buddhism needs marketing ?

Post by binocular »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:41 pmAnyway, my point was that one of the main problems of dhamma propagation I see in the West, amongst "converts", is the desire to go straight to the "higher learning" and skip the basics. I'm not convinced that that it is particularly effective in the long term.
I think there's a reason for this. Skipping to the "higher learning" means avoiding merit making, generosity, and basic respectful dealings with the monastics and lay practitioners. Avoiding those can make the whole endeavor into Buddhism seem safer and allows for a looser commitment. This safety and looseness of committment are important when endeavoring into a religion within a social environment that is hostile to that religion.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

I think most do not feel the urgency to practice in general. I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that so few members of the forum meditate. Probably just enjoying life i guess.
Digity

Post by Digity »

The temple I go to usually has five or less people showing up to weekly events like meditation, study, etc. Some of these events barely happen anymore due to lack of attendance. It's pretty discouraging when you go there to meditate and wonder if you're the only one who will show up. That hasn't happen yet, but it's been close. In such a scenario should teachers change the way they're teaching to maybe make it more palatable to Westerners? I'm conflicted by this question, but it doesn't feel like it's clicking with people when they show up a few times and you never see them again.

There is another temple that's more popular and they seem to be more involved with the community, but I don't attend there as much, because it's farther away. I only go maybe once a month for day long retreats. As Mike mentioned, I think it's more popular because its heavy involvement with the community and organizations such as police, etc.

I get sort of depressed about my practice at times, due to the fact that Buddhism doesn't fit well into a Western culture. I think Western society is backwards and so I wouldn't want Buddhism to become backwards to fit into it, but the same time I don't know how they can co-exist better. Despite all these struggles and issues I still continue with the practice, because deep down I believe it's correct.
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

Saengnapha wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:14 am Buddhism is its own marketing. It's built in to it. Why else would there be any structure to it as a philosophy or institution?
:goodpost: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31304
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught