Buddha encountering rude people

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
withoutcolour

Re: Buddha encountering rude people

Post by withoutcolour »

bodom wrote:There is another story from the Buddhas life that teaches us how to responds to insults and harsh words. The Buddhas rivals had bribed a postitue named cinca to insult and humiliate the Buddha, Cinca tied a bunch of sticks to her belly underneath her rough clothes in order to look like she was pregnant. While the Buddha was delivering a sermon to hundreds of people, she came right out in front of him and said "You rogue. You pretend to be a saint preaching to all these people. But look what you have done to me! I am pregnant because of you." Calmly, the Buddha spoke to her, without anger, without hatred. With his voice full of lovingkindness and compasion, he said to her, "Sister, you and i are the only ones who know what has happened." Cinca was taken aback by the Buddhas response. She was so shocked that on the way back she she stumbled. The strings that were holding the bundle of sticks to her belly came loose. All the sticks fell to the ground, and everyone realized her ruse,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_XLOBDo_Y

Heh, :clap: couldn't resist.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
orangemod

Post by orangemod »

bodom wrote:There is a famous story of such an encounter between the Buddha and a ‘difficult person’ named Akkosina.Akkosina’s name means “Not Getting Angry” but he was the exact opposite of his name. Akkosina was easily angered and was always angry about something or someone. When he heard that the Buddha did not get angry with anyone he immediately decided to visit him. He went up to the Buddha and scolded him for all sorts of things, insulting him and calling him awful names. At the end of this angry speech, the Buddha asked this man if he had any friends or relatives. “Yes.” Akokosina replied. “When you visit them, do you take them gifts?” the Buddha asked. “Of course, I always bring them gifts.” The angry man replied. “Then what happens if they don’t accept your gifts?” The Buddha asked. “Well I take them home and enjoy them with my own family” “And likewise,” said the Buddha, “You have brought me a gift here today that I do not accept, and so you may take that gift home to your family.”

I just love this piece of sensible thinking. As a beginner, I am fascinated by all the ways Buddhist teachings can help me become a more "right thinking" person and learn to deal with adversity with dignity.
Thank you for the story.
Cheers, Dave
halaha

Post by halaha »

Kasibharajjavada sutta > Uraga Vagga > Kud :reading: :reading: dhaka Nikaya is another good example of a person being rude to the Buddha.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Luke wrote:I was wondering if there are any stories about people being incredibly rude to Shakyamuni Buddha (either verbally or physically) in the Pali Canon. I would be very interested to see how the Noble One (or a disciple of his) reacted in such situations and how he dealt with such rude people.
The incident with Saccaka comes to mind:
/.../
Now on that occasion, five hundred Licchavis had gathered at a meeting hall on some business or other. So Saccaka the Nigaṇṭha-son went to those Licchavis and, on arrival, said to them, "Come out, good Licchavis! Come out, good Licchavis! Today will be my discussion with Gotama the contemplative! If he takes the position with me that was taken with me by his famous disciples, the monk named Assaji, then just as a strong man, seizing a long-haired ram by the hair, would drag him to and drag him fro and drag him all around, in the same way I, statement by statement, will drag Gotama the contemplative to and drag him fro and drag him all around. Just as a strong distillery worker, throwing a large distiller's strainer into a deep water tank and grabbing it by the corners, would drag it to and drag it fro and drag it all around, in the same way I, statement by statement, will drag Gotama the contemplative to and drag him fro and drag him all around. Just as a strong distillery ruffian, grabbing a horse-hair strainer by the corners, would shake it down and shake it out and thump it, in the same way I, statement by statement, will shake Gotama the contemplative down and shake him out and thump him. Just as a sixty-year old elephant, plunging into a deep pond, would amuse itself playing the game of hemp-washing, in the same way I will amuse myself playing the game of hemp-washing Gotama the contemplative, as it were. Come on out, good Licchavis! Come on out, good Licchavis! Today will be my discussion with Gotama the contemplative!"
/.../
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
See the rest for how it all unfolded!
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!