POTUS 2017

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
chownah

Re: POTUS 2017

Post by chownah » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:30 am

That swamp is just full of trump's 'gators and they are lying and pillaging....as usual:
http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/ ... n-unravels
It turns out that reducing the size of lands designated as natural and historic monuments was actually done to allow big companies to mine them and drill for oil.....BUT....when it was first suggest, Orin Hatch who is the head of the dept. charged with protecting these monumental lands specifically stated that it was NOT being done to enable mining and drilling.

Draining the swamp?......just a propogandist's ploy to persuade the ignorant masses....and it seems to have worked on some even here at dhammawheel.
chownah

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:04 am

A bit of perspective, i.e. fleeing the Nazis in childhood, apparently discourages optimism about Trump and co.
Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright describes herself as an "optimist who worries a lot." And lately, it seems, there has been much to worry about.

Albright's new book, Fascism: A Warning, starts by describing how Hitler and Mussolini came to power in the 20th century, then warns about today's authoritarian rulers in Eastern Europe, North Korea, Turkey and Russia.

Albright, who was born in Czechoslovakia and fled with her family after the Nazis occupied the country in 1939, notes that the United States has traditionally been viewed as a nation that opposes authoritarianism and supports democratic principles and human rights, but that perception is changing — in part because of President Trump.

While Albright does not call Trump a fascist, she says that he is "the most anti-democratic leader that I have studied in American history." ...
:reading: https://www.npr.org/2018/04/03/59912019 ... s-too-late

:namaste:
Kim

pulga

Post by pulga » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:02 am

Madame Albright shares Hillary Clinton's penchant for aggressive U.S. foreign policy.

“If we have to use force, it is because we are America! We are the indispensable nation. We stand tall, and we see further into the future.”

Trump on the other hand seems more of a pragmatist, preferring dialogue and cooperation over coercion and ostracism. It's gotten him into trouble from the left, but it does seem to offer more hope for world peace and for dealing with the problems common to all the nations of the world, even those nations we have to be leery of.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:06 am

yeah right!! your Mr. World Peace just appointed John Bolton in charge a national security.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

pulga

Post by pulga » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:17 am

lyndon taylor wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:06 am
yeah right!! your Mr. World Peace just appointed John Bolton in charge a national security.
With the upcoming talks with Kim Jong-un it's a very shrewd move on Trump's part. The President likes a diversity of opinions when dealing with problems, so I don't think that he's suddenly become hawkish. Mattis is still the dominant advisor when it comes to North Korea. Clinton and Albright on the other hand are notorious for their aggressiveness in compelling other countries to meet our expectations.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:54 am

We'll be at war before you know it, Trump is incredibly dangerous.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:55 pm

pulga wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:17 am
Mattis is still the dominant advisor when it comes to North Korea.
Where did you read this?....or is it just that you can see inside the mind of the trump.
chownah

pulga

Post by pulga » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:08 pm

chownah wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:55 pm
pulga wrote:
Where did you read this?....or is it just that you can see inside the mind of the trump.
chownah
It's just my take on the situation. President Trump doesn't want Kim to back out of the negotiations, and with Bolton on his team that is less likely. The danger that China and North Korea see in Trump is the leverage he needs to broker the deal.

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:18 pm

pulga wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:08 pm
chownah wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:55 pm
pulga wrote:
chownah
It's just my take on the situation. President Trump doesn't want Kim to back out of the negotiations, and with Bolton on his team that is less likely. The danger that China and North Korea see in Trump is the leverage he needs to broker the deal.
How is it then that you think that mattis is the dominant advisor? What evience is there for that?.....or is it just some wishful thinking so you won't worry about bolton so much?

My take on the situation is that trump does not have advisors on his team....he has advisees. When his advisees don't subordinate their own views adequately and present his views fully and completely he dumps them....that is why there is such a huge turnover in his administration in my view....it's difficult to find capable people willing to put up with his approach to issues and his horse's assedness.
chownah

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:04 pm

It seems to me that Trump is attempting to run the government the same way he runs a corporation; he acts like the CEO of America, Inc. rather than a US President. The man has never held public office and does not appear to understand how the the political process actually works - or at least is supposed to work.

SDC

Post by SDC » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:14 pm

lyndon taylor wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:54 am
We'll be at war before you know it, Trump is incredibly dangerous.
And so his opponents have been threatening since day one... :shrug:

No offense intended, Lyndon, but at some point people are going to have to stop with these extravagant guarantees about the world under Trump. It was one thing to say it prior to him taking office, but it is a whole other thing now to keep attempting to level it as the reality. He is a wildcard in many respects, but he has not put us any closer to WAR than we already were.

Stick to criticizing him for the wrong that he is actually doing: his divisiveness, unprofessionalism, bigotry, immorality, etc.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:05 am

I criticize his followers for their lack of insight, and gullibility

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:32 am

Greetings SDC,
SDC wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:14 pm
No offense intended, Lyndon, but at some point people are going to have to stop with these extravagant guarantees about the world under Trump. It was one thing to say it prior to him taking office, but it is a whole other thing now to keep attempting to level it as the reality. He is a wildcard in many respects, but he has not put us any closer to WAR than we already were.

Stick to criticizing him for the wrong that he is actually doing: his divisiveness, unprofessionalism, bigotry, immorality, etc.
In time, even these things that you presently see as legitimate grounds for criticism, may come to be seen through a similar lens as you see the rest of the anti-Trump doom-mongering. How much is real, and how much is a projection of a bitter, globalist mainstream media who aren't getting their own way? The lens applied to situations shapes personal perceived reality. (Which, honestly, I think is more the point of the Satipatthana Sutta, than what Vipassana traditions take it to mean).

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:15 am

Justsit wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:04 pm
It seems to me that Trump is attempting to run the government the same way he runs a corporation; he acts like the CEO of America, Inc. rather than a US President. ...
What a serendipitous intro to a fb meme I was already planning to post here!
conman.png
conman.png (204.14 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
:thinking:
Kim

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:32 pm

Kim OHara wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:15 am
conman.png
I doubt Trump would be silly enough to buy shares in Amazon; which shows this allegation is probably false. Amazon is trading on a price earnings ratio of 228, which means earning 0.44% per annum on your investment. Amazon must grow its profit by 13 times to have the same price earnings ratio as Apple (of 17 or 5.88% return on investment per annum). That's a big task, particularly with people such as myself boycotting Amazon, due to their involvement in big brother politics; similar to Facebook. The American stock market is overvalued due to the policies of Obama, where close to zero interest rates allowed the wealthy (and others) to borrow cheap money to buy shares for a 2.5% dividend return and also allowed companies to borrow money to buy back their stock, which increases the share price & positive sentiment. Obama set up an inevitable disaster & Trump's greedy tax cuts will pop the Obama bubble by increasing interest rates causing share prices to fall. Those who have borrowed money to buy shares must liquidate their positions, which causes the market to correct or crash. America is economically sick and can't be saved without pain.

In the mean time, the war mongering mass-media & administrators seem to think the American people are in favour of war.
Trump's furious Situation Room row with his top general is LEAKED: Chairman of joint chiefs reprimanded him on Syria - so the president demanded immediate pull-out

* Trump held a summit in his White House situation room this week on how to get out of Syria - and in an astonishing breach, it has leaked

* President opened the meeting with a tirade about U.S. intervention in Syria and asked what it had gotten for the money and American lives

* He said 'nothing' repeatedly but Associated Press says intensity of Trump's tone and demeanor 'raised eyebrows and unease among the top brass'

* Chairman of the Joint Chief of Staff, Marine General Joseph Dunford [appointed by Obama] reprimanded Trump saying his approach was 'not productive'

* Trump hit back by demanding immediate withdrawal of all U.S. forces and end to aid efforts and had to be talked down by defense secretary Mattis

* At a separate meeting he watched CIA footage of a terrorist being killed and demanded to know why his family wasn't taken out too

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z5C1fKgGeX