Edit option disappearing

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
User1249x

Re: Edit option disappearing

Post by User1249x »

No_Mind wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:52 pm
User1249x wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:47 pm
the real problem is that people are not given a warning. i would have never been in this position had i been warned.
Say your real name is Daniel Konow and you become Bhikkhu Tālaputa .. how are we going to know you are [name redacted by admin] or [name redacted by admin] unless you tell us?

How will people who meet you in real life know either ..

Did we know Bhante Lucky is JTG till he told us?

:namaste:
I do not know who they are and perhaps i am overreacting. Also [name redacted by admin] is locked yes, why it is locked and how it all got handled is part of the problem. This is gonna make me sound crazy but i was legitmately fearing for my life because of the way administrators acted, why? Because i take the Dhamma very seriously.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:56 pm You know what all this means? That we have way too much time on our hands! Or are way too prone to distractions and escapism!
I vehemently object.

We make time for Dhamma study while others waste it exchanging dirty jokes, visiting houses of ill repute, indulge in alcohol or other chemical stimulants, comparing husbands, buying new clothes etc

We study Dhamma and along with that we exchange posts on this board. Most of the posts we write and read cause us to read more about the Dhamma (some are plain arguments but leaving that 10% posts aside)

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:03 pmWe make time for Dhamma study while others waste it exchanging dirty jokes, visiting houses of ill repute, indulge in alcohol or other chemical stimulants, comparing husbands, buying new clothes etc

We study Dhamma and along with that we exchange posts on this board. Most of the posts we write and read cause us to read more about the Dhamma (some are plain arguments but leaving that 10% posts aside)
We should do so much better.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:10 pm We should do so much better.
Such as? This is a mini United Nations .. we promote world peace (apart from me sometimes threatening Romania with nukes), promote greater understanding between cultures.

I have learned a lot about the West from here and I hope all of you have learned equally about India from me. I was a trans-phobe before I joined. A few days back I actually smiled at one on a bus. Is that not the kind of change this forum intended?

Last edited by No_Mind on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:11 pm
Such as?
As in strive to develop toward higher levels of noble culture.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:56 pm
I like posting here, it keeps one thinking about the Dhamma and i have all the time i want and this forum was an effective learning tool because it ties Sutta to particular topics and one can weave it into a web so to speak which is a lot better than reading Nikayas back to back. Also when we think about the Dhamma it is like contemplation.

I guess as you say a solitary practice is always an option and i just have to deal with it like other's have done and i am relatively well off.
I just don't like how it all got out of my control, why the world isnt perfect dammit.

Thanks to you both
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:22 pm
No_Mind wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:11 pm
Such as?
As in strive to develop toward higher levels of noble culture.
I think we are as good as possible .. I hope that most of us do not use obscenities, drink too much, gossip too much, do not have extra marital sex, do not steal, do not lie (I tell white lies to avoid people calling me over but that is about all the lie that I tell) .. what else shall we do?

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

User1249x wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:55 am Basicly admin gets full control over everything you write after 1 hour and you can not undo any of it whilst the admins can selectively edit and delete what you wrote as they see it fit.
Each poster has full control of what they write, within this one hour window. After that mods will typically delete the whole post if it violates the terms of service. They won't edit content to change its meaning, which is why typically, if a post violates the terms of service, the whole post is removed.

(in some rare cases, only a portion might be removed, for example profanity, personal attacks, etc.)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

User1249x wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:55 amI do not see the upside in this change other than preventing someone from deleting a bunch of their own posts.
Yes deleting a bunch of posts has happened. Some trolls when they know they are about to be banned, delete all their posts, disrupting the flow of the conversations.
binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:39 am
I would update the ToS imo so people are aware of this.
Agreed. It would help to add a (clarifying) clause like "All posts made on this forum are ownership of the forum owner" or something to that effect (they have such a clause at some other forums). It's a clause that states that once you post something, it becomes property of the forum owner (after the editing time has expired).
This is already under the protection of forum owners by US Codes, but I added some language to that effect anyway to the tos:

Starting with the paragraph
Use of this forum is at no membership fee and voluntary.

. . . . . Members may use anonymous usernames and need not use their real names. If they use their real name, that is by their choice and moderating staff reserves the right to refuse name changes (however they may allow in some instances). Posts cannot be edited or deleted after one hour from posting as it disrupts the conversation, especially when whole posts are deleted throughout several conversations. Posters have no ownership of any information they post here and do so at their own choice. Each poster is responsible for carefully crafting their posts due to this and again, this is a voluntary forum at no membership fee.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

:twothumbsup:
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I consider this policy good encouragement of right speech. People on this forum and everywhere should be more careful with what they say and how they say it. In real life you can't erase what you say later.
binocular

Post by binocular »

DNS wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:42 pmThis is already under the protection of forum owners by US Codes, but I added some language to that effect anyway to the tos:
/.../
Thank you!
Like I said, I suggested a clarifying addition -- because it's not likely that all that many people will actually go and look up what the cited law says (or understand it). So it's good to explicate the crucial points.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:31 pm
binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:22 pmAs in strive to develop toward higher levels of noble culture.
I think we are as good as possible .. I hope that most of us do not use obscenities, drink too much, gossip too much, do not have extra marital sex, do not steal, do not lie
This is barely just the beginning!
what else shall we do?
Actually commit to Buddhism.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

binocular wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:56 pm
No_Mind wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:31 pm
binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:22 pmAs in strive to develop toward higher levels of noble culture.
I think we are as good as possible .. I hope that most of us do not use obscenities, drink too much, gossip too much, do not have extra marital sex, do not steal, do not lie
This is barely just the beginning!
what else shall we do?
Actually commit to Buddhism.
This is the best possible unless you want to go to Thailand and become like Ajahn Martin

http://www.forestdhammatalks.org/en/aja ... graphy.php

It is not possible to play good soccer on a soggy pitch.

At time of Buddha the pitch was dry and weather was perfect. Now it is all muddy and raining cats and dogs.

So long pass is the best possible play .. do not expect to be able to do a Cruyff Turn when your boot is stuck in three inches of mud and the ball is all squishy on a watery field.

Edit Add: In case you do not know what is a Cruyff Turn .. open in new tab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9klCWR_nKk

binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:02 pmThis is the best possible unless you want to go to Thailand and become like Ajahn Martin
/.../
It is not possible to play good soccer on a soggy pitch.
At time of Buddha the pitch was dry and weather was perfect. Now it is all muddy and raining cats and dogs.
So long pass is the best possible play ..
These are excuses.
Granted, the circumstances here might not be optimal, but I am sure that we can do a lot better than now.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!