ban heretics

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Locked
User avatar
dylanj
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:48 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

ban heretics

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:39 pm

people on here get banned for political incorrectness

that's fine whatever, i don't agree but it's somewhat understandable

but people who say that Hindu Swamis were enlightened or that the Buddha was wrong for leaving his family should be banned or forcibly subjugated to "Discovering Theravada"
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
sammā­sambud­dha­desitaṁ;
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,
yattha dukkhaṁ nirujjhatī


Oh! extinction is so very blissful,
As taught by the One Rightly Self-Awakened:
Sorrowless, stainless, secure;
Where suffering all ceases


etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭi nissaggo taṇhakkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ

This is peaceful, this is excellent, that is: the stilling of all preparations, the relinquishment of all attachments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction.

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 11880
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: ban heretics

Post by DNS » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:47 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:39 pm
people on here get banned for political incorrectness
that's fine whatever, i don't agree but it's somewhat understandable
No one was banned for political incorrectness. People get banned for violating the terms of service and being disruptive and for writing "goodbye cruel forum" posts and when (literally) asking to be banned.

Be careful what you ask for, sometimes proposals are accepted.


User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4487
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: ban heretics

Post by Sam Vara » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:49 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:39 pm
people on here get banned for political incorrectness
Who has been banned?
people who say that Hindu Swamis were enlightened or that the Buddha was wrong for leaving his family should be banned or forcibly subjugated to "Discovering Theravada"
An interesting suggestion, but such a claim would not in itself be contrary to ToS, and I'm not sure that forcible subjugation has much of a role on a Buddhist site.

User avatar
dylanj
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:48 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: ban heretics

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:52 pm

disruptive here = not submitting to secular materialist liberalism & casual noncommitted western buddhism

banning people is forcible subjugation
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
sammā­sambud­dha­desitaṁ;
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,
yattha dukkhaṁ nirujjhatī


Oh! extinction is so very blissful,
As taught by the One Rightly Self-Awakened:
Sorrowless, stainless, secure;
Where suffering all ceases


etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭi nissaggo taṇhakkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ

This is peaceful, this is excellent, that is: the stilling of all preparations, the relinquishment of all attachments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction.

User avatar
Polar Bear
Posts: 1193
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Bear Republic

Re: ban heretics

Post by Polar Bear » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:52 pm

I thought we were supposed to burn heretics

Image
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

User avatar
dylanj
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:48 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: ban heretics

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:53 pm

killing is against the 1st precept
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
sammā­sambud­dha­desitaṁ;
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,
yattha dukkhaṁ nirujjhatī


Oh! extinction is so very blissful,
As taught by the One Rightly Self-Awakened:
Sorrowless, stainless, secure;
Where suffering all ceases


etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭi nissaggo taṇhakkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ

This is peaceful, this is excellent, that is: the stilling of all preparations, the relinquishment of all attachments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction.

User avatar
dylanj
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:48 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: ban heretics

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:55 pm

tbh banning all heretics isn't even necessary but ones that go as far as the examples i cited i think should not be welcome here

these specific individuals are also not Buddhists as far as I understand, they are Hindus performing Hindu taqqiya
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
sammā­sambud­dha­desitaṁ;
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,
yattha dukkhaṁ nirujjhatī


Oh! extinction is so very blissful,
As taught by the One Rightly Self-Awakened:
Sorrowless, stainless, secure;
Where suffering all ceases


etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭi nissaggo taṇhakkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ

This is peaceful, this is excellent, that is: the stilling of all preparations, the relinquishment of all attachments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction.

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 11880
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: ban heretics

Post by DNS » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:02 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:52 pm
disruptive here = not submitting to secular materialist liberalism & casual noncommitted western buddhism
I don't submit to secular materialist liberalism nor casual noncommitted western buddhism and I haven't been banned yet.

People get banned for the reasons I noted above, not their views.

User avatar
dylanj
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:48 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: ban heretics

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 pm

DNS wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:02 pm
dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:52 pm
disruptive here = not submitting to secular materialist liberalism & casual noncommitted western buddhism
I don't submit to secular materialist liberalism nor casual noncommitted western buddhism
r u sure
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
sammā­sambud­dha­desitaṁ;
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,
yattha dukkhaṁ nirujjhatī


Oh! extinction is so very blissful,
As taught by the One Rightly Self-Awakened:
Sorrowless, stainless, secure;
Where suffering all ceases


etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭi nissaggo taṇhakkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ

This is peaceful, this is excellent, that is: the stilling of all preparations, the relinquishment of all attachments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction.

Meezer77
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 5:43 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: ban heretics

Post by Meezer77 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 pm

It's a bit un Buddhist to make people of different faiths unwelcome. As long as they don't impose their views I don't see a problem.

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 11880
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: ban heretics

Post by DNS » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:04 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 pm
DNS wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:02 pm
dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:52 pm
disruptive here = not submitting to secular materialist liberalism & casual noncommitted western buddhism
I don't submit to secular materialist liberalism nor casual noncommitted western buddhism
r u sure
Yes.

User avatar
dylanj
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:48 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: ban heretics

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 pm

Meezer77 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 pm
It's a bit un Buddhist to make people of different faiths unwelcome. As long as they don't impose their views I don't see a problem.
they pretend to be buddhists even tho they're hindu that's the problem
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
sammā­sambud­dha­desitaṁ;
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,
yattha dukkhaṁ nirujjhatī


Oh! extinction is so very blissful,
As taught by the One Rightly Self-Awakened:
Sorrowless, stainless, secure;
Where suffering all ceases


etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭi nissaggo taṇhakkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ

This is peaceful, this is excellent, that is: the stilling of all preparations, the relinquishment of all attachments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction.

Meezer77
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 5:43 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: ban heretics

Post by Meezer77 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:09 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 pm
Meezer77 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 pm
It's a bit un Buddhist to make people of different faiths unwelcome. As long as they don't impose their views I don't see a problem.
they pretend to be buddhists even tho they're hindu that's the problem
And? There is quite a bit of overlap between the two faiths. You could choose just to not engage with them.

User avatar
dylanj
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:48 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: ban heretics

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:10 pm

Meezer77 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:09 pm
dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 pm
Meezer77 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 pm
It's a bit un Buddhist to make people of different faiths unwelcome. As long as they don't impose their views I don't see a problem.
they pretend to be buddhists even tho they're hindu that's the problem
And? There is quite a bit of overlap between the two faiths. You could choose just to not engage with them.
could choose to not engage with anyone, why ban anyone?
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
sammā­sambud­dha­desitaṁ;
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,
yattha dukkhaṁ nirujjhatī


Oh! extinction is so very blissful,
As taught by the One Rightly Self-Awakened:
Sorrowless, stainless, secure;
Where suffering all ceases


etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭi nissaggo taṇhakkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ

This is peaceful, this is excellent, that is: the stilling of all preparations, the relinquishment of all attachments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction.

User avatar
Virgo
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: ban heretics

Post by Virgo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:19 pm

Dylan, if you feel agitated, you should say to yourself, "I will not post for a few hours", or "I will not post for a few days".

Kevin

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests