Citta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
No_Mind

Citta

Post by No_Mind »

What exactly is citta in Buddhism?

2:15 to 2:34 what does he mean by citta? Can anyone explain within framework of Buddhism.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Citta

Post by DNS »

Translations and interpretations vary, but in general:

viññāna = consciousness
citta = mind or "state of consciousness"
mano = mentality

Those who hold eternalist or borderline eternalist views (as Maha Boowa has been accused of by some Buddhists), see the citta as the state of being that persists, that continues in some form. Their reasoning is that viññāna is one of the 5 aggregates, which the Buddha said are impermanent and not-self, but there was no mention of citta in the aggregates and therefore it is the citta that survives (according to Maha Boowa and some others).
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

viññāna = consciousness
mano = mentality
Can someone show this in terms of Dependent Origination?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

SarathW wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:41 am
viññāna = consciousness
mano = mentality
Without mind base no mind consciousness .
Therefore , (mind) consciousness is impermanent .
However , there is no statement in the sutta about what the mind base is ?
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Previous discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=18316

Also check out the third frame of satipatthana in MN10, which relates to citta - see "C. Mind" here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

James Tan wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:53 am However , there is no statement in the sutta about what the mind base is ?
I think mind-base relates to mano, mentality.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:45 am2:15 to 2:34 what does he mean by citta? Can anyone explain within framework of Buddhism.
In the video, Maha refers to defilements as the problem. Maha seems to be referring to the enlightened undefiled citta, as follows:
Bhikkhu, ‘I am’ is a conceiving; ‘I am this’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall not be’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be possessed of form’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be formless’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be percipient’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be non-percipient’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be neither-percipient-nor-non-percipient’ is a conceiving. Conceiving is a disease, conceiving is a tumour, conceiving is a dart. By overcoming all conceivings, bhikkhu, one is called a sage at peace. And the sage at peace is not born, does not age, does not die; he is not shaken and does not yearn. For there is nothing present in him by which he might be born. Not being born, how could he age? Not ageing, how could he die? Not dying, how could he be shaken? Not being shaken, why should he yearn?

https://suttacentral.net/mn140/en/bodhi
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

viññāna = consciousness
mano = mentality
What a fantastic video. :bow: :clap:

Citta is the seat of all deceptions/defilements, etc. Dependent Origination starts with ignorance.That is the condition from which volitions/fabrications arise. In Yogacara Mahayana Buddhism, it is called vasana=karmic impressions. These are said to be stored in the alaya vijnana, the store-house consciousness and is the basis of the 8 types of consciousness. I'm not sure how Theravada explains this.

Maha Bua always warned of the deception that informs all practitioners even to the very last moment before 'realization'. In this ecstatic video, which had my hairs standing up, he confesses how he fooled himself until he was able to let go of that last bit of radiance that he held onto, and then his universe collapsed. This took me back to my own teacher's declaration of his world collapsing in what he called his 'calamity', saying he realized he was fooling himself his whole life in a moment of decisive, penetrating insight or wisdom. Sadhu, sadhu, sadhu!
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Saengnapha wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 am
viññāna = consciousness
mano = mentality

Citta is the seat of all deceptions/defilements, etc. Dependent Origination starts with ignorance.That is the condition from which volitions/fabrications arise. In Yogacara Mahayana Buddhism, it is called vasana=karmic impressions. These are said to be stored in the alaya vijnana, the store-house consciousness and is the basis of the 8 types of consciousness. I'm not sure how Theravada explains this.

Maha Bua always warned of the deception that informs all practitioners even to the very last moment before 'realization'. In this ecstatic video, which had my hairs standing up, he confesses how he fooled himself until he was able to let go of that last bit of radiance that he held onto, and then his universe collapsed. This took me back to my own teacher's declaration of his world collapsing in what he called his 'calamity', saying he realized he was fooling himself his whole life in a moment of decisive, penetrating insight or wisdom. Sadhu, sadhu, sadhu!
Usually, I am not someone to ask for credit .. but I shared the video .. why are you bowing to Sarath :?

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:58 am
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 am

Usually, I am not someone to ask for credit .. but I shared the video .. why are you bowing to Sarath :?

I understand how it may seem I am bowing to Sarath, but I am bowing to the video, and you, if you like, for posting it, and I am also answering Sarath's question about DO and citta.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Saengnapha wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:01 am I understand how it may seem I am bowing to Sarath, but I am bowing to the video, and you, if you like, for posting it, and I am also answering Sarath's question about DO and citta.
Okay. Sarath is like my elder brother .. If he gets a bow .. I do not mind .. But my citta was confused :smile:

auto

Post by auto »

James Tan wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:53 am
viññāna = consciousness
mano = mentality
Without mind base no mind consciousness .
Therefore , (mind) consciousness is impermanent .
However , there is no statement in the sutta about what the mind base is ?
Abhidhamma

3 Twelve âyatanas (Twelve Bases)
‘âyatana’ means base, source or sphere. Here the twelve àyatanas
means the 12 bases or sources from which consciousness and
its concomitants arise.

The 12 bases are divided equally into two groups: (a) ajjhattika (internal) and (b) bàhira (external).

a Ajjhattikàyatana (Six internal bases)

1 Cakkhàyatana – cakkhu-pasàda – eye-base (sensitive part of the eye),
2 Sotàyatana – sota-pasàda – ear-base (sensitive part of the ear),
3 Ghànàyatana – ghàna-pasàda – nose-base (sensitive part of the nose),
4 Jivhàyatana – jivhà-pasàda – tongue-base (sensitive part of the tongue),
5 Kàyàyatana – kàya-pasàda – body-base (sensitive part of the body),
6 Mànàyatana – 89 or 121 cittas – mind-base.

b Bàhiràyatana (six external bases)

1 Råpàyatana – vaõõa – visible object
2 Saddàyatana – sadda – sound
3 Gandhàyatana – gandha – odour
4 Rasàyatana – rasa – taste
5 Phoññhàbbhàyatana – pathavã, tejo, vàyo – tangible object
6 Dhammàyatana – mind-object consisting of 52 cetasikas, 16 sukhuma-råpas and Nibbàna.

Notes:
The six internal bases consist of the five physical senseorgans
and consciousness. Manàyatana is a collective
term for all consciousness.