Why do Americans not have to announce which country they are from?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Disciple

Re: Why do Americans not have to announce which country they are from?

Post by Disciple »

thepea wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:31 pm
DNS wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:05 pm
Well there is a lot of white stuff up there.
Yup, I think Canadians are secretly rooting for global warming.
Very true.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:13 pm Why do Americans not have to announce which country they are from?
Probably because it doesn't actually matter. :smile:
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Meezer77 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:17 pm

David do you really believe that a locomotive driver in Scotland cares about U.S politics .. and also do you really believe that those who follow U.S politics closely from abroad (like me) do not also follow U.K, Europe, China, Japan, Middle East, Russia, Israel as closely?

Yes the loco driver knows that Trump is U.S President and he also knows Putin and that is where his knowing ends.

Do you honestly believe most others in the world except people with time to waste like me know the name of every U.S state, its location and capital?

:namaste:
I care about U.S politics, they have an impact on the rest of the world. Not following your logic here. Or maybe your thinking is very hierarchical.
U.S. politics has no impact on rest of the world. Some of U.S. foreign policy does (I view trade agreements to be part of broader foreign policy)

I doubt if in Scotland you are affected by outcome of U.S. gun laws and failure of healthcare bills or U.S. debt ceiling .. the issues over which they torture themselves in U.S. politics .. How is the average Scotsman affected by appointments to U.S. Supreme Court and circuit courts or reduction in tax rate of corporates?

Even if internal U.S. politics does matter to rest of us .. and some from abroad like you and me follow it closely .. how many in Scotland will be able to tell the difference between Bernie Sanders and Col. Harland Sanders?

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

Well at the moment the NHS is under threat and there is the worry that the health care system here is going to become like the one in the U.S. Speaking as an average Scot I don't know much about some of the things you've mentioned, but I think it's fair to say that we are interested in U.S foreign policy and know a bit more about Trump other than just his name. So how come you've got so much time to waste? Did you win the lottery or something?
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Meezer77 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:38 am So how come you've got so much time to waste? Did you win the lottery or something?
Time to waste? I have no time to waste. My passion is indiscriminate reading .. anything .. from life of Christian martyrs to Duterte's childhood .. as long as it is information I store it in my brain .. and I am aided by YouTube which is a treasure trove for information junkies

I am single so I have lot of time .. no one nags me and my mind is sharp as a tack all the time ..

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
alan

Post by alan »

If you are actually interested in the childhood of Duterte, then something is very wrong with you.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

alan wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:08 am If you are actually interested in the childhood of Duterte, then something is very wrong with you.
I am interested in anything .. and it is off topic ..

Justsit

Post by Justsit »

No_Mind wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:28 am Time to waste? I have no time to waste. My passion is indiscriminate reading .. anything .. from life of Christian martyrs to Duterte's childhood .. as long as it is information I store it in my brain .. and I am aided by YouTube which is a treasure trove for information junkies
... my mind is sharp as a tack all the time ..
And yet...your signature... :tongue: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Re: location. No one has to announce which country they are from; AFAIK that is not a required field, nor is it limited to one's present physical location in a specific country. I've seen locations listed as Planet Earth, The Universe, Dark Side of the Moon, Nowhere, Here, Neverland, etc.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Justsit wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:36 am
No_Mind wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:28 am Time to waste? I have no time to waste. My passion is indiscriminate reading .. anything .. from life of Christian martyrs to Duterte's childhood .. as long as it is information I store it in my brain .. and I am aided by YouTube which is a treasure trove for information junkies
... my mind is sharp as a tack all the time ..
And yet...your signature... :tongue: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Re: location. No one has to announce which country they are from; AFAIK that is not a required field, nor is it limited to one's present physical location in a specific country. I've seen locations listed as Planet Earth, The Universe, Dark Side of the Moon, Nowhere, Here, Neverland, etc.
Listing Planet Earth is perfectly fine or Bear Nation .. or nothing at all

But do not list a city or a province and expect 6.65 billion people from rest of the world to know where it is .. do not show hubris .. that rest of the world is expected to know where Wyoming is .. "I am from Wyoming" .. at least in OP write I am from Wyoming U.S. .. show bare minimum courtesy and politeness to a global audience ..

In case you do list .. then list it as country or state, country or city, state, country.

alan

Post by alan »

Yet, your location is "India".
Where?'
India is a large country. Why do Indians not have to announce where there are from?
North, South, East. West? Middle?
Andhra Pradesh?
Don't get ahead of yourself. You might assume people do not know things they actually know.
Last edited by alan on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

No_Mind wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:49 am
But do not list a city or a province and expect 6.65 billion people from rest of the world to know where it is .. do not show hubris .. that rest of the world is expected to know where Wyoming is .. "I am from Wyoming" .. at least in OP write I am from Wyoming U.S. .. show bare minimum courtesy and politeness to a global audience ..

In case you do list .. then list it as country or state, country or city, state, country.
Perhaps you should direct your suggestion to management.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

alan wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:59 am Yet, your location is "India".
Where?'
India is a large country. Why do Indians not have to announce where there are from?
North, South, East. West? Middle?
Andhra Pradesh?
Don't get ahead of yourself. You might assume people do not know things they actually know.
At least read what is written previously .. if you cannot wade through three lines of English kindly do not even bother to address a question to me

# 1 Already answered .. In case you do list .. then list it as country or state, country or city, state, country .. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31374&start=20#p461559

# 2 my first post here May 23, 2014
I am from India. Nice to meet you all. I have been reading some books on Theravada (from online in pdf form) and Suttas (mainly from ATI website) for last one year. I am interested in Buddhism but I do not know if I am a Buddhist. I do not know any other Buddhists or have any connection to a Sangha or monks or place of worship or meditation retreat. Just a solitary thinker who likes to pass his time reading about Buddhism. I prefer to study about Theravada Buddhism. Its austerity appeals to me.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20789&p=291267#p291267
I announced my country of origin .. When I came to know all of you better I wrote that I am from Calcutta.

country OR state, country OR city, state, country .. not city OR state .. hope you are able to figure out these few words

binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:49 amBut do not list a city or a province and expect 6.65 billion people from rest of the world to know where it is .. do not show hubris .. that rest of the world is expected to know where Wyoming is .. "I am from Wyoming" .. at least in OP write I am from Wyoming U.S. .. show bare minimum courtesy and politeness to a global audience ..

Too bad most people in this world don't think they are your ever so docile, fearful students waiting for you to utter commands so that they can fulfill them.

*gasp*
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

Justsit wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:01 amPerhaps you should direct your suggestion to management.
Oh, but that would be too effective, too proactive.
:coffee:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Justsit wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:01 am
No_Mind wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:49 am

Perhaps you should direct your suggestion to management.
The point is clear .. either one is polite or one is not .. I cannot make anyone understand it anymore than a mob hitman can be made to understand the Dhamma.