Forum Section moderated according to Sutta

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

Forum Section moderated according to Sutta

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 12

binocular

Re: Forum Section moderated according to Sutta

Post by binocular »

User1249x wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:22 pmif you want to prove that it is bad idea
I'm not arguing against such a section (or even a whole forum like that). I just don't share your enthusiasm about it.

I've seen such attempts before elsewhere, and they didn't seem to work. There were either very few postings; or people were really mean to eachother, but claimed to be advanced; or the place was a pc hugbox.

I think that people who are so serious about the Dhamma that they are ready and able to discuss it in line with the criteria specified in the OP, do not post much in online forums, at all. Not because there would be something wrong with the forums, but because those people's priorities are so different that posting in online forums has a very low priority and isn't seen as something valuable.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

binocular wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:43 pm
User1249x wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:22 pmif you want to prove that it is bad idea
I'm not arguing against such a section (or even a whole forum like that). I just don't share your enthusiasm about it.

I've seen such attempts before elsewhere, and they didn't seem to work. There were either very few postings; or people were really mean to eachother, but claimed to be advanced; or the place was a pc hugbox.

I think that people who are so serious about the Dhamma that they are ready and able to discuss it in line with the criteria specified in the OP, do not post much in online forums, at all.
I try to reach a lot people with my posts and i like the forum format but i reach way more people elsewhere, it is not even close we are talking tens to thousands. That is the truth of it, it is nice to debate and learn here (if one asks the right questions) also posts are good for later referrence but there are no people here relatively speaking, people are there :P Most of the Q/A is not happening here, this is kind of a pit to debate as i see it and there is not much to debate. Also Q/A is without rep power here so it is not optimal for a beginner asking question to get different answers without more info to go on.

I also like that one can give a long instruction here and easily post a long sutta with commentary in a single post.
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

the fact that people are voting no is the very reason we need this

why is casual dhamma so popular on this forum
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Funny how the people posting ITT all support it but the polls show different things.

Let's discuss this, i have more or less figured it out by now i think. Who is who, who holds what views and their agenda more or less.
People who cling to views are opposed to this, it is that simple, they will not be allowed to talk there, it is that simple.
Also Sutta moderated format will allow Righ View to shine and obviously dismantle and mutilate any wrong view along with the credibility of the fool who clings to it. There is nothing wrong with debating the Dhamma, look here:
[The Blessed One said:] "Well done, householder. Well done. That is how you should periodically refute those foolish men with the Dhamma."
I think it is time to face the reality guys, not everybody is supposed to be liberated by wisdom alone. Not everybody is supposed to debate and one does not have to debate alone. Not everybody is entitled to an interpretation of the Dhamma, why not study suffering if confused about Nibbana? Study the impermanent and the path to cessation, don't debate the "Non-Impermanent, Uncaused&Possible" if not sure it is very simple. One effectively avoids;
".... fell silent, abashed, sitting with their shoulders drooping, their heads down, brooding, at a loss for words. ..."
binocular

Post by binocular »

Angry young men ...
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

It is just there is a way one is supposed to talk about some of these things that is beyond me but it is the best way for one who wants to talk about this stuff. I did not make it up it is just there for us so let's use it. What i want can be achieved by making a section where one can only talk about real life possible stuff and another section where on discusses only ten topics in the manner prescribed, so to inspire faith and lead to right understanding;
Section Called: 'Thus it was in the past.' 'Thus it will be in the future.' 'Thus it is now in the present.'
Ten Topics for Conversation Thread/Subsection
  • "He himself is contented and instigates talk on contentment among the monks...

"He himself is secluded and instigates talk on seclusion among the monks...

"He himself is non-entangled and instigates talk on non-entanglement among the monks...

"He himself has his persistence aroused and instigates talk on arousing persistence among the monks...

"He himself is consummate in virtue and instigates talk on being consummate in virtue among the monks...

"He himself is consummate in concentration and instigates talk on being consummate in concentration among the monks...

"He himself is consummate in discernment and instigates talk on being consummate in discernment among the monks...

"He himself is consummate in release and instigates talk on being consummate in release among the monks...

These are the ten topics of conversation.

These Guidelines Apply;

Participants are encouraged to:
  • 1. Give a categorical answer to a question deserving a categorical answer
    2. Give an analytical answer to a question deserving an analytical answer
    3. Give a counter-question to a question deserving a counter-question
    4. Put aside a question deserving to be put aside

5. stand by what is possible and impossible
    6. stand by agreed-upon assumptions
    7. stand by teachings known to be true
    8. stand by standard procedure

9. Not to wander from one thing to another when asked a question
    10. Not to pull the discussion off the topic when asked a question
    11. Not to express anger & aversion and sulks
Further participants are discouraged to refrain from;
  • 1. Putting down the questioner
    2. Crushing/Pwning the questioner
    3. Ridiculing him the questioner
    4. Grasping at the little mistakes
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

perhaps make it a sticky at least? Better than the stuff up there by far imo.
i would just make a thread for now but i want the section thing because it communicates instruction to talk according to reality as it is and would be possible to have some debate thing there too where same rules apply, that is option but that is the way to debate imho.

Possible and impossible may seem scary but it is probably not as you would think if you are scared...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

So if I get this right, you wanted a special section of the forum, which is "moderated" by Sutta and therefore, I assume, according to Classical Theravada principles? The problems with that and why there is probably so much opposition, is that it is still very subjective. Who decides what is the correct Sutta view? That is why we have ongoing discussions here and each is allowed to present their views and their own interpretations. Otherwise it gets into the potential of being Dhamma-policing, curbing free-speech, etc which would result in either a hug-box or very confrontational, hostile place, as binocular noted.

Actually, we do sort of have what you are looking for. In the Classical sub-forums here there are stricter guidelines to follow where Classical positions cannot be directly challenged. It's no surprise that this is one of the least visited parts of this forum. There are about 6,000 posts in the Classical subforum whereas General Theravada has over 100,000 posts.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

oh i was not aware about the classical theravada section, mostly just using the Active Topics.
in regards to the 10 topics one can remove the ones about the vision and knowledge of release thing also release and discernment.
I think we can handle contentment and modesty etc;)
Also think this is best applied as a running long thread not 10 thread,
Perhaps worthy of a sticky in the Classical Theravada?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

User1249x wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:53 pm Also think this is best applied as a running long thread not 10 thread,
Perhaps worthy of a sticky in the Classical Theravada?
Go ahead and make a thread in Classical Theravada and if there's enough interest, one of us on the mod team could make it a sticky.