Social Media

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Caodemarte

Re: Social Media

Post by Caodemarte »

alan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:06 am Which brings me back to my initial post on DW: Are there any rational people out there?
No.
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

Caodemarte wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:53 pm
alan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:06 am Which brings me back to my initial post on DW: Are there any rational people out there?
No.
:goodpost:
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
alan

Post by alan »

I like it, of course, when people like my photos. Sometimes I'll put up one on my personal page just to check out the results.
But, I'm the guy who makes the final decision about what is Art, and what just I have to say.
One thousand Wows is not as important to me as the one person who really gets what I am trying to say.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

alan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:11 am I like it, of course, when people like my photos. Sometimes I'll put up one on my personal page just to check out the results.
But, I'm the guy who makes the final decision about what is Art, and what just I have to say.
One thousand Wows is not as important to me as the one person who really gets what I am trying to say.
I do understand that, Alan, partly because I'm a writer, but would add that there's no direct (or correct, definitive) relationship between what a creative person makes and what any audience member perceives.
We put stuff into our creations that we don't realise we're putting in (often little bits of our selves), for one thing. And then physical and cultural context changes the meaning of the art-work. For instance, a Guan Yin statue in a Thai temple doesn't mean the same thing as it would in a US museum. And then each audience member puts stuff into our creations, too, as we do - and again, it's often bits of themselves.
So we can't know, far less control, how our work is understood/appreciated/loved. All we can do is make something we reckon is good and hope that others get something valuable out of it.

:meditate:
Kim
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

On Facebook I have only one friend. It can be dangerous, for example losing your job when you posted something silly. I can contact a lot of fools, but I don't want to. There is no positive side of social media. Maybe you can find some Buddhist or photography groups.
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

I deleted my fb , and feel happy ! :)

Tv, radio, social medias - are very bad for our inner peace !
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

Nwad wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:29 am I deleted my fb , and feel happy ! :)

Tv, radio, social medias - are very bad for our inner peace !
:goodpost:

Just deleted my Facebook account!
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

What about online games? I guess they are also harmful.

— SN 45.8
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

From my opinion all that flood the mind - is not good. Why?
Because its like when you are on some little boat in the middle of the lake. All your trash (suffering) you drop of out in the water for not seeing it. And when there is too much trash in the water, you begin to see it apear above the surface, and its brings you suffering... So you flood your mind with a water of distructions, water level gets up and you can drop your trash out again with smile, but it shows itself again, so you flood it again, and again... until it becomes a big ocean, with big wind, big waves, big rain, cold and suffering becomes permanent, so you need permanent distraction... And its not good, even more while the boat is little and weak...

What we should do is to stop flood the mind with distractions, to get water dry up with the sunshine and clear weather without clouds, and when trash show itself on the surface, take it on the boat and work with it, until this trash becomes usefull to reinforce your boat. Little bit, by little bit, your little boat will become a ship which would provide you stability on the waves, and dry refuge while its rainy... And if you keep the sun bright and clouds little - some day the ocean will become a little lake, with no trash anymore in it, and then it will dry off completely, and you could stand up on the ground, with no more waves, wind, rain, suffering, with no more any boat...
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

This is not just about social media but also about Dhamma Wheel :thinking:
Argue with strangers online? A philosophy professor offers some tips for arguing well

... Dr Stokes said that social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter reward speedy communication, but being quick with a comeback is not necessarily the best way to conduct an argument.
"Take your time, don't think you immediately need to respond," Dr Stokes said.
He said it was important to remember that you are arguing with a real person, even if their profile picture is a cartoon dog.
There is no need to be rude or to say something upsetting.
"Make sure you're thinking about what the impact on that person is going to be, even in the heat of a really nasty discussion," Dr Stokes said.
"Remember that there is a face at the other end."
Build your case
Dr Stokes said it was important when entering into an online debate to remember the difference between arguing and asserting.
Stating your opinion is not enough. You need to be able to back it up with a coherent argument.
"One thing l like to say to my students is, 'Look, you're not actually entitled to your opinion in this room, you're entitled to what you can back up, what you can argue for," he said. ...
More at http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-19/o ... in/9454780

Some of us need it more than others, but I am not going to name names. :tongue:

:coffee:
Kim
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

This is not just about social media but also about Dhamma Wheel :thinking:
Argue with strangers online? A philosophy professor offers some tips for arguing well

... Dr Stokes said that social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter reward speedy communication, but being quick with a comeback is not necessarily the best way to conduct an argument.
"Take your time, don't think you immediately need to respond," Dr Stokes said.
He said it was important to remember that you are arguing with a real person, even if their profile picture is a cartoon dog.
There is no need to be rude or to say something upsetting.
"Make sure you're thinking about what the impact on that person is going to be, even in the heat of a really nasty discussion," Dr Stokes said.
"Remember that there is a face at the other end."
Build your case
Dr Stokes said it was important when entering into an online debate to remember the difference between arguing and asserting.
Stating your opinion is not enough. You need to be able to back it up with a coherent argument.
"One thing l like to say to my students is, 'Look, you're not actually entitled to your opinion in this room, you're entitled to what you can back up, what you can argue for," he said. ...
More at http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-19/o ... in/9454780

Some of us need it more than others, but I am not going to name names. :tongue:

:coffee:
Kim
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

i run this:

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadhamma/

i think it's good
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

dylanj wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:50 am i run this:

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadhamma/

i think it's good
:thumbsup:
Certainly a good thing to do.
FB is only as bad, or in this case as good, as what is shared on it.

:namaste:
Kim
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

oncereturner wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:30 pm What about online games? I guess they are also harmful.
maybe this will help although it is not about video games in particular.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Death of Twitter - Musk's openness has limits:

https://thefederalist.com/2023/03/29/tw ... et-it-die/
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.