Stream Entry

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Saengnapha

Re: Stream Entry

Post by Saengnapha »

User1249x wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:59 am
Saengnapha wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:36 am Perhaps if you are not a Buddhist, you can be thought to be having mystical experiences that don't relate to the views of Buddhists. The Buddha's teachers attained deep states of meditative absorption but could not let go of their arupa jhanas. The Buddha did not instruct them to become sotapanna. In fact, most of the suttas are not about becoming sotapanna. The view of ladder is also 'wrong view' in the big picture, but in the beginning it seems important. View is conditioned and has nothing to do with nibbana except as an intellectual precursor in a drawn up 'model' of path. For me, path is not linear and not static.
Restrain yourself, it would be good for you and others who you may confuse with such talk.
https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/alara-kalama
When, after having practised austerities for six years, the Buddha attained Enlightenment and granted Sahampatis request to preach the doctrine, it was of Alara he thought first as being the fittest to hear the teaching. But Alara had died seven days earlier (Vin.i.7)
confusion is self created. Restraint is useless. So are your attempts at explanations. Mine, too! :D
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

User1249x wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:46 pm So we know now that the "Powerful Insight" is followed by "Seeing All as anicca, dukkha and anatta".
Is Nibbana included in the All, as apart of the 'dhamma' mind objects? Ud 8.1 does say Nibbana is an 'ayatana'. What do you think of this?
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:41 am
User1249x wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:46 pm So we know now that the "Powerful Insight" is followed by "Seeing All as anicca, dukkha and anatta".
Is Nibbana included in the All, as apart of the 'dhamma' mind objects? Ud 8.1 does say Nibbana is an 'ayatana'. What do you think of this?
Keep in mind i was interpereting, trying to make sense of a members subjective experience.
The Idea, The Concept, The Word "Nibbana", even tho a unique Concept, is part of All as any other Idea. Think of it as an organism interpereting Data about it self and the enviroment by means of Abstracting and Conceptualizing, using logic and concepts to understand the system in which All gains a footing. Recollection of Peace arises as Aggregates as well.

The Idea of cessation of happiness and the imagination of Nibbana is not the Nibbana in itself. Like the words "Dog", "Perro" or "Chien" are not the Animal, words dont bark, we cant pet a word or the concept. In this sense the concept of Nibbana is not the ultimate reality of Nibbana but thinking about it or the cessation is part of Sabba-"sankhara", a Mind Object, ideas cognized by Intellect, a part of All, a formation.
Last edited by User1249x on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Saengnapha wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:41 am confusion is self created. Restraint is useless. So are your attempts at explanations. Mine, too! :D
I would challenge all of it, i also think you are not very familiar with the Nikayas and have many ideas which can be directly contradicted by the texts. IE what you said above is not true as it stands a lot of is just false information. Here just an example;
Dhammapada Verse 360. Sense Discipline

Right is restraint in the eye,
restraint in the ear is right,
right is restraint in the nose,
restraint in the tongue is right.

Explanation: It is good to be disciplined in the eye. It is good to be disciplined in the ear. It is good to be disciplined in the nose. To be disciplined in the tongue is good.

Verse 361. Suffering End With All-Round Discipline

Right is restraint in the body,
restraint in speech is right,
right is restraint in the mind,
everywhere restraint is right.
The bhikkhu everywhere restrained
is from all dukkha free.

Explanation: It is good to be disciplined in body. It is good to be disciplined in words. It is good to be disciplined in mind. The monk who is disciplined in all these areas will achieve freedom from all suffering.
AN 2.23 PTS: A i 59
II,iii,3
Abhasita Sutta: What Was Not Said
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 1997

"Monks, these two slander the Tathagata. Which two? He who explains what was not said or spoken by the Tathagata as said or spoken by the Tathagata. And he who explains what was said or spoken by the Tathagata as not said or spoken by the Tathagata. These are two who slander the Tathagata."
Alternative;
AN 2.25:

"Monks, these two slander the Tathagata. Which two? He who explains a discourse whose meaning needs to be inferred as one whose meaning has already been fully drawn out. And he who explains a discourse whose meaning has already been fully drawn out as one whose meaning needs to be inferred..."
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

jasday wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:25 pm How do I experience stream entry?
How will I know when I've experienced stream entry?
I'm a lay person and I'm just beginning to meditate 1-2x per day for 20 minutes each time following the breath and being mindful, and my efforts have proved to show improvement. I have been meditating for years (inconsistently) and now with consistency and I haven't seen too much fruit. I feel more at peace. I feel that I'm better able to follow the path. I've given up alcohol, I've in the last month been going to the sangha. I know the consistency and extra effort: abstaining from alcohol, donating food to the sangha, and meditating at least every day for at least 20 minutes (mindfulness of breathing) is recent, but it's a big leap considering that I've spent years trying to get to this point.

I want to know what it will take to attain stream entry. I enjoy the increasing benefits of happiness the path brings in this life, but I would be very disappointed to find that I fall backwards either in this life or after this life.
Please help.

I need a good answer that will show me the way.

Thanks all!
Hello:

The easiest way is to look for a teacher who understands dependent origination.
Then you just follow his instructions until your experience matches with his definition of stream-entry :P

Regards.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

User1249x wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:43 am The Idea, The Concept, The Word "Nibbana", even tho a unique Concept, is part of All as any other Idea.
In the Sabba Sutta, the Pali word is 'dhamme', which does not mean "ideas". The translation "ideas" by Thanissaro appears to be wrong. Yet you make a long reply based on what is probably wrong understanding. In other words, translations are probably not the best way to form views about Dhamma.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

User1249x

Post by User1249x »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 pm
User1249x wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:43 am you make a long reply based on what is probably wrong understanding. In other words, translations are probably not the best way to form views about Dhamma.
I am happy to discuss it but id like more feedback than that.

probably? what % of certainty? do you have a different explaination? Is my explaination contradicted? is my explaination not logical or does it require a leap of faith or unreasonable assumptions?

I think it is pretty obvious, the thing i would not be able to explain is why he entered all the dimensions before passing away in the 4th Jhana. If you want to know weakness of my position u can just ask

We should be careful tho in this kind of discussion as it is speculative we should be going out of our way to avoid risk saying wrong things imo. Also think it is off-topic and deserves own thread.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

User1249x wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:15 pm probably? what % of certainty? do you have a different explaination? Is my explaination contradicted? is my explaination not logical or does it require a leap of faith or unreasonable assumptions?
Nibbana is an ayatana in Ud 8.1 therefore Nibbana appears to be included in 'The All'. Yet Nibbana appears not an 'idea' because all 'ideas' are conditioned things but Nibbana is the Unconditioned. Possibly Bhikkhu Bodhi's & most other scholars' translation of "mind objects" for 'dhamme' is better.

User1249x

Post by User1249x »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:05 pm
User1249x wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:15 pm probably? what % of certainty? do you have a different explaination? Is my explaination contradicted? is my explaination not logical or does it require a leap of faith or unreasonable assumptions?
Nibbana is an ayatana in Ud 8.1 therefore Nibbana appears to be included in 'The All'. Yet Nibbana appears not an 'idea' because all 'ideas' are conditioned things but Nibbana is the Unconditioned. Possibly Bhikkhu Bodhi's & most other scholars' translation of "mind objects" for 'dhamme' is better.
I am familiar with commentary and have no problem with it but i dont know the pali terminology.
I've been trying to explain it before so many times, the Idea of X is not X... Also the word "idea" is english not Pali, it does not surprise me that some people on account of ignorance would have a problem with these passages. Pali does have it's weaknesses too where English has comparative strengths.

There is a book on this that is not Buddhist even;
https://tzmvirginia.files.wordpress.com ... k-scan.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/Tyranny-Words-St ... merReviews
. This book largely follows Korzybsky's work on General Semantics, the science of determining what we really mean when we say something. Read Science and Sanity: An Introduction to Non-Aristotelian Systems and General Semantics (International Non-Aristotelian Library) to find out what's going on.
. Or you could check out a good popularization, Drive Yourself Sane: Using the Uncommon Sense of General Semantics. Third Edition.
. Back in the 1940s, everybody was denying the very logic of this idea. In the late 1940s, it was obvious, and everybody claimed to have invented it themselves. In the 1960s and later, the basis of this field got watered down to 'just semantics' and got ignored.
there is also a Buddhist book on this and the first book (which is no longer disputed and based on combined efforts of a whole scientific field) PROVES the position of the ladder;
https://what-buddha-said.net/library/pd ... eality.pdf
This info is the "nitty gritty detail" imo.
:anjali:
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 pm
User1249x wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:43 am The Idea, The Concept, The Word "Nibbana", even tho a unique Concept, is part of All as any other Idea.
In the Sabba Sutta, the Pali word is 'dhamme', which does not mean "ideas". The translation "ideas" by Thanissaro appears to be wrong. Yet you make a long reply based on what is probably wrong understanding. In other words, translations are probably not the best way to form views about Dhamma.
btw maybe it is not clear,
it is unique in sense of that concept is defined by it's attributes. In sense that Paris is the only concept that has the characteristic of being the capitol of France today, so is the Concept of Nibbana the only conception that has the characteristics: uncaused & possible. Still a concept tho not the manifestation of possible reality, we can only conceptualize it, more words more accuracy but we will never cause "IT", we will cause cessation of "Not-It". Therefore i say "idea of X" does not equal "X". Ie "Me" = "Me", your "Conception of Me" =/= "Me", your conception may be true or untrue, if it is impossible then it is untrue, if possible then it can be true or false, with more accuracy, with more true info, u can prove what is false but you can never distill "Conception of Me" down to "Me" you will always have residue, its like the Pi number.

First Noble Truth: Changing & possible. Possible therefore true.

Second Noble Truth: Change is caused, not uncaused

Third Noble Truth: uncaused & possible

Fourth Noble Truth: Exhaustion of causes is caused, not uncaused

good as is now
Last edited by User1249x on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:05 pm
The Kalaka Sutta is a highly important, all be it, short sutta, that has vast and penetrating insight pertaining to all views and the possible positions that one could stand upon that do not equal 'suchness'. In Madhyamaka teaching, in which this sutta is a primary source, Nagarjuna makes it crystal clear what the Buddha implies.

Because an intellectual understanding of what is said is not sufficient to penetrate this wisdom, arguments and debates would follow those who insist on trying to use their intellect to prove the validity of what is said and more positions taken. There is no possible way one can stand on any view in light of what is being said. A letting go must follow or else one is headed into the mire of views.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

"Me" = "Me", your "Conception of Me" =/= "Me", your conception may be true or untrue, if it is impossible then it is untrue, if possible then it can be true or false, with more accuracy, with more true info, u can prove what is false but you can never distill "Conception of Me" down to "Me" you will always have residue, its like the Pi number.
Last edited by User1249x on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:54 am The Kalaka Sutta is a highly important...
I doubt a personal interpretation of a sutta that is probably translated inaccurately is important at all. You seem to be beating the same old nihilistic U.G. zombie drum here. The sutta seems to be about what non-Buddhists cognise and then the translator must add additional bracketed words due to a probable misunderstanding. In summary, since the sutta is about how a Buddha regards the views of non-Buddhists, I can probably understand your attraction to it. The sutta appears to say: "Whatever is seen or heard or sensed and fastened onto as true by others — among the self-fettered - the Tathagata doesn't care about it because those non-Buddhists simply have no idea, due to being fettered by self-views". The key word in the sutta appears to be "maññati". When the right meaning of maññati is comprehended, maybe reply again. In addition, an alternate translation is here, which has a different meaning: https://suttacentral.net/en/an4.24
The Ordinary Person
Here, bhikkhus, an untaught ordinary person, who has no regard for noble ones and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, who has no regard for true men and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, perceives earth as earth. Having perceived earth as earth, he conceives himself as earth, he conceives himself in earth, he conceives himself apart from earth, he conceives earth to be ‘mine,’ he delights in earth. Why is that? Because he has not fully understood it, I say.

Idha, bhikkhave, assutavā puthujjano ariyānaṃ adassāvī ariyadhammassa akovido ariyadhamme avinīto, sappurisānaṃ adassāvī sap­purisa­dhammassa akovido sap­purisa­dhamme avinīto—pathaviṃ pathavito sañjānāti; pathaviṃ pathavito saññatvā pathaviṃ maññati, pathaviyā maññati, pathavito maññati, pathaviṃ meti maññati, pathaviṃ abhinandati. Taṃ kissa hetu? ‘Apariññātaṃ tassā’ti vadāmi

https://suttacentral.net/en/mn1
Yattha ṭhitaṃ maññassavā nappavattanti, maññassave kho pana nappavattamāne muni santoti vuccatī’ti—iti kho panetaṃ vuttaṃ. Kiñcetaṃ paṭicca vuttaṃ? ‘Asmī’ti, bhikkhu, maññitametaṃ, ‘ayamahamasmī’ti maññitametaṃ, ‘bhavissan’ti maññitametaṃ, ‘na bhavissan’ti maññitametaṃ, ‘rūpī bhavissan’ti maññitametaṃ, ‘arūpī bhavissan’ti maññitametaṃ, ‘saññī bhavissan’ti maññitametaṃ, ‘asaññī bhavissan’ti maññitametaṃ, ‘nevasaññī­nāsaññī bhavissan’ti maññitametaṃ. Maññitaṃ, bhikkhu, rogo maññitaṃ gaṇḍo maññitaṃ sallaṃ. Sabba­maññi­tā­naṃ tveva, bhikkhu, samatikkamā muni santoti vuccati.

The tides of conceiving do not sweep over one who stands upon these foundations, and when the tides of conceiving no longer sweep over him he is called a sage at peace.’ So it was said. And with reference to what was this said?

Bhikkhu, ‘I am’ is a conceiving; ‘I am this’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall not be’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be possessed of form’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be formless’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be percipient’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be non-percipient’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be neither-percipient-nor-non-percipient’ is a conceiving. Conceiving is a disease, conceiving is a tumour, conceiving is a dart. By overcoming all conceivings, bhikkhu, one is called a sage at peace.

https://suttacentral.net/en/mn140

maññita
pp. of maññati

Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

DooDoot wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:29 am
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:54 am The Kalaka Sutta is a highly important...
I doubt a personal interpretation of a sutta that is probably translated inaccurately is important at all. You seem to be beating the same old nihilistic U.G. zombie drum here. The sutta seems to be about what non-Buddhists cognise and then the translator must add additional bracketed words due to a probable misunderstanding. In summary, since the sutta is about how a Buddha regards the views of non-Buddhists, I can probably understand your attraction to it. The sutta appears to say: "Whatever is seen or heard or sensed and fastened onto as true by others — among the self-fettered - the Tathagata doesn't care about it because those non-Buddhists simply have no idea, due to being fettered by self-views". The key word in the sutta appears to be "maññati". When the right meaning of maññati is comprehended, maybe reply again. In addition, an alternate translation is here, which has a different meaning: https://suttacentral.net/en/an4.24
The Ordinary Person
Here, bhikkhus, an untaught ordinary person, who has no regard for noble ones and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, who has no regard for true men and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, perceives earth as earth. Having perceived earth as earth, he conceives himself as earth, he conceives himself in earth, he conceives himself apart from earth, he conceives earth to be ‘mine,’ he delights in earth. Why is that? Because he has not fully understood it, I say.

Idha, bhikkhave, assutavā puthujjano ariyānaṃ adassāvī ariyadhammassa akovido ariyadhamme avinīto, sappurisānaṃ adassāvī sap­purisa­dhammassa akovido sap­purisa­dhamme avinīto—pathaviṃ pathavito sañjānāti; pathaviṃ pathavito saññatvā pathaviṃ maññati, pathaviyā maññati, pathavito maññati, pathaviṃ meti maññati, pathaviṃ abhinandati. Taṃ kissa hetu? ‘Apariññātaṃ tassā’ti vadāmi

https://suttacentral.net/en/mn1
Yattha ṭhitaṃ maññassavā nappavattanti, maññassave kho pana nappavattamāne muni santoti vuccatī’ti—iti kho panetaṃ vuttaṃ. Kiñcetaṃ paṭicca vuttaṃ? ‘Asmī’ti, bhikkhu, maññitametaṃ, ‘ayamahamasmī’ti maññitametaṃ, ‘bhavissan’ti maññitametaṃ, ‘na bhavissan’ti maññitametaṃ, ‘rūpī bhavissan’ti maññitametaṃ, ‘arūpī bhavissan’ti maññitametaṃ, ‘saññī bhavissan’ti maññitametaṃ, ‘asaññī bhavissan’ti maññitametaṃ, ‘nevasaññī­nāsaññī bhavissan’ti maññitametaṃ. Maññitaṃ, bhikkhu, rogo maññitaṃ gaṇḍo maññitaṃ sallaṃ. Sabba­maññi­tā­naṃ tveva, bhikkhu, samatikkamā muni santoti vuccati.

The tides of conceiving do not sweep over one who stands upon these foundations, and when the tides of conceiving no longer sweep over him he is called a sage at peace.’ So it was said. And with reference to what was this said?

Bhikkhu, ‘I am’ is a conceiving; ‘I am this’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall not be’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be possessed of form’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be formless’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be percipient’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be non-percipient’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be neither-percipient-nor-non-percipient’ is a conceiving. Conceiving is a disease, conceiving is a tumour, conceiving is a dart. By overcoming all conceivings, bhikkhu, one is called a sage at peace.

https://suttacentral.net/en/mn140

maññita
pp. of maññati
When I quote a sutta that is pertinent to me, why would I need 'your' interpretation of what the sutta means? You, who are not a Pali speaker, a scholar/translator, and quite frankly, a slanderer of anyone deemed a non-Buddhist. This is the epitome of elitist, Doo Doot. And, exactly what the sutta is all about. When you are defensive and rubbed the wrong way by something, is it my understanding that causes this? No, it is not. It is your perceptions and projections that take over and disturb you. Why you keep referring to U.G. is beyond me. The Kalaka sutta is not about defending anything or attacking anything. Yet, you persist and make it personal, again. You seem to want to be right at all costs, and it is costing you, Doo Doot. Letting go of this attitude is what the Kalaka is about. Dispassion, not aggression is what is being communicated. Apologies will be accepted, unless you feel too wounded to stoop so low to an infidel like myself.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 amWhen I quote a sutta that is pertinent to me
A questionable translation is not a "sutta". It seems you were only quoting your personal ideas & interpretation rather than a sutta.
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 amwhy would I need 'your' interpretation of what the sutta means?
I do not recall offering any interpretation. I merely posted some unambiguous suttas that appear to clearly show the meaning of the word "mannati".
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 amYou, who are not a Pali speaker, a scholar/translator
What I offered was very straightforward. The Buddha said his Dhamma is straightforward (MN 22) therefore scholarship is not required because the Buddha explained his Dhamma clearly for us. Words, such as "mannati", can obviously be understood by their use within context. While I have not examined every use of the word "mannati", based on MN 1 & MN 140, it seems to definitely mean "conceiving ideas of self".
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 am and quite frankly, a slanderer of anyone deemed a non-Buddhist.
The sutta posted is obviously about the self-fettered views of non-Buddhists. The sutta states:
Monks, whatever in the world — with its devas, Maras, & Brahmas, its generations with their contemplatives & brahmans royalty & common people — is seen, heard, sensed, cognized, attained, sought after, pondered by the intellect: That do I know.
:alien:
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 amThis is the epitome of elitist, Doo Doot.
The Buddha allegedly spoke the sutta rather than myself. If you wish to call the Buddha "elitist" & believe such Cultural Marxist labels are valid you are free to. The sutta appears to clearly state those non-Buddhists are fettered by ignorant foolish stupid & suffering self-views.
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 amAnd, exactly what the sutta is all about.

The sutta seems to be about how the Buddha is free from self-views therefore any view the Buddha has is not polluted by pride & clinging.
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 amWhen you are defensive and rubbed the wrong way by something, is it my understanding that causes this?
The sutta appears to be about not manufacturing "ego".
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 am No, it is not. It is your perceptions and projections that take over and disturb you. Why you keep referring to U.G. is beyond me.
Because of Saengnapha's interpretation of the Kalaka Sutta offered, which appeared to be about having "no views". To quote what you said:
The Kalaka Sutta is a highly important, all be it, short sutta, that has vast and penetrating insight pertaining to all views and the possible positions that one could stand upon that do not equal 'suchness'. In Madhyamaka teaching, in which this sutta is a primary source, Nagarjuna makes it crystal clear what the Buddha implies.
:alien:
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 amThe Kalaka sutta is not about defending anything or attacking anything.
If it is about what you claim, why do you appear to be manically attacking & defending in your post, here? :shrug:
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 amYet, you persist and make it personal, again.
There is no "person" in Buddhism.
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 am You seem to want to be right at all costs, and it is costing you, Doo Doot.
Just checked my bank account. Its the same as before. Also, the above comment appears to be against the Code of Conduct of this Buddhist chat site.
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 amLetting go of this attitude is what the Kalaka is about.
I merely suggested your view about the sutta was questionable. I generously provided some Pali to allow you to reconsider your interpretation.
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 amDispassion, not aggression is what is being communicated.
I suggest to stop scolding others, like KM & UG spent their lives scolding people. I think their behavior was infantile.
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 amApologies will be accepted, unless you feel too wounded to stoop so low to an infidel like myself.
I suggested your inferences about the sutta were questionable. No apologies will be even considered because I was merely discussing the sutta. :mrgreen: