Americans will never give up their guns.

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Justsit

Re: Americans will never give up their guns.

Post by Justsit » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:25 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:49 pm
Yes of course I am a Buddhist .. I would spare no enemy who threatened the Dhamma .. that kind of Buddhist :smile:
The Dhamma is perfectly fine on its own.

Violent retribution for those who do not agree with you is not a teaching of the Buddha.
Is your cutesy little smile at the end of your post intended to mean you're joking?

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:33 pm

I must have taken a wrong turn, because i actually thought that the dhamma was indestructible, ... maybe i should have turned left ... :juggling:

If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Justsit wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:25 pm
No_Mind wrote:
Yes of course I am a Buddhist .. I would spare no enemy who threatened the Dhamma .. that kind of Buddhist :smile:
The Dhamma is perfectly fine on its own.

Violent retribution for those who do not agree with you is not a teaching of the Buddha.
Is your cutesy little smile at the end of your post intended to mean you're joking?
I look at it this way .. do dad's tell us everything .. no .. same with the Buddha.

I would protect the Dhamma by slaying its enemies if needed :smile:

Jokes aside .. I am a Hin-Budd (a Hindu Buddhist .. as I have written in many posts). I am not bound by rules that "pure" Buddhists are. Whenever Adharma raises its head I am ready to slay it if needed.

A more technical answer - There is no 'Bad' and 'Good' Karma. There is only 'Karma'. The best Karma for me/you, would be the one that succeeds in keeping me/you in a neutral (devoid of emotional upsurges) state of mind for as long as is possible (do not ask for sutta references .. it is not from suttas)

If I lived in a lonely house .. if a meth head broke in and threatened my child .. I would blow his brains out with a shotgun. It would keep me in a more neutral state than any harm to my child.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:32 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:35 pm
I would spare no enemy who threatened the Dhamma
/.../
If I lived in a lonely house .. if a meth head broke in and threatened my child .. I would blow his brains out with a shotgun. It would keep me in a more neutral state than any harm to my child.
You sure don't sound like someone who needs the Dhamma. Why defend something one doesn't actually need ...
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:11 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:14 am
Nothing is wrong with owning a gun if one passes proper background checks.

Vast stretches of America are deserted .. how is one going to stay at the house below (6:28) without a gun?

I'm a midwesterner. Grew up right next door to Iowa. Many people own guns in the remote areas for hunting or shooting "varmints" on their farms but there is very little need to "blow people's brains out" to protect your family. Very little crime and a good social safety net. Its like the Scandinavia of the US. It isn't the wild west. But that just goes to show when you are spoiling for a fight you will always find dangers lurking around every corner.

dhamma follower

Post by dhamma follower » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:32 am

No_Mind wrote:
dhamma follower wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:44 pm
Hi No-mind,
I think you skipped over the bit where it said Current Events and Politics sub forum :smile: .. it is the only sort of non-Buddhist part of this forum (and the only one you can opt out of).

Could you please show me where it is this part in the introduction of this sub forum? I don't see it. On the contrary, its description goes like this:
A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
What did you expect the description to be .. "This is the only part of the forum where you can discuss about Trump's golden shower and related stories" :? This is the only part of the forum where you can discuss about Trump's golden shower and related stories.

The point is that the Dhamma is still the guilding line in whatever being discussed here. You, on the other hand, seem to have suggested that this is a sub forum where the Dhammic perspectives don't matter.
Yes of course I am a Buddhist .. I would spare no enemy who threatened the Dhamma .. that kind of Buddhist

It would be good to examine whether the Dhamma you protect is the same than the Buddha's. From what you said here, I don't think so.

Brgds,

D.F

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:38 am

binocular wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:32 pm
No_Mind wrote:
I would spare no enemy who threatened the Dhamma
/.../
You sure don't sound like someone who needs the Dhamma. Why defend something one doesn't actually need ...
Do people who need the Dhamma come in specific size and shape? I promote self defense .. violent self defense if needed (as last resort of course)

How does that not accord with the Dhamma?

alfa

Post by alfa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:06 am

I think Buddhists tend to go to an extreme. They believe that if you aren't pacifist, you're a war monger.

There is a middle way. You don't have to be aggressive or pacifist. You can be nonviolent (the rule) and yet believe in self-defense (the exception). No contradiction.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 am

alfa wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:06 am
I think Buddhists tend to go to an extreme. They believe that if you aren't pacifist, you're a war monger.

There is a middle way. You don't have to be aggressive or pacifist. You can be nonviolent (the rule) and yet believe in self-defense (the exception). No contradiction.
What you mean is western convert Buddhists tend to go on extreme .. native Buddhists have a pretty bloody history of killing and war and not being frazzled by it.

denise

Post by denise » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:39 am

alfa

Post by alfa » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:29 am

No_Mind wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 am
alfa wrote:

What you mean is western convert Buddhists tend to go on extreme .. native Buddhists have a pretty bloody history of killing and war and not being frazzled by it.

Are native hindus and buddhists any better? Remember the gandhians? Following an extreme form of nonviolence even when human lives are in danger ... this is something I can't approve. But this is normal even among native Buddhists and Hindus, not just converts.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:44 am

alfa wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:29 am
No_Mind wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 am
alfa wrote:

Are native hindus and buddhists any better? Remember the gandhians? Following an extreme form of nonviolence even when human lives are in danger ... this is something I can't approve. But this is normal even among native Buddhists and Hindus, not just converts.
Native Buddhists are quite violent or at least as violent as the next man (with exception of Tibetan Buddhists who did not generate enough taxes to maintain any army leading to being overrun by China in 1951)

Gandhians were peaceful .. good point. But we got rid of them soon. 1947 got independence 1962 got socked on nose by China due to being Gandhian 1971 we split Pakistan in two .. so in 20 years we came to our senses.

Hindus were a martial race and will remain so (look at all the kings constantly fighting in Ramayana and Mahabharata) .. my greatest regret in life remains that I was unable to join the army and I know same is true for many other young men.

manas

Post by manas » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:03 pm

No_Mind wrote:

A more technical answer - There is no 'Bad' and 'Good' Karma. There is only 'Karma'. The best Karma for me/you, would be the one that succeeds in keeping me/you in a neutral (devoid of emotional upsurges) state of mind for as long as is possible (do not ask for sutta references .. it is not from suttas)

You're darn right your point of view here, isn't from the suttas. Having enjoyed previous posts of yours, I find what you write here concerning. When it comes to dhamma / dharma, whether from the Buddhist or the Hindu side of the fence, we ought not to twist the doctrine to justify our own personal position.

in goodwill :anjali:
Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.

- Dhp 40

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:12 pm

manas wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:03 pm
No_Mind wrote:

You're darn right your point of view here, isn't from the suttas. Having enjoyed previous posts of yours, I find what you write here concerning. When it comes to dhamma / dharma, whether from the Buddhist or the Hindu side of the fence, we ought not to twist the doctrine to justify our own personal position.

in goodwill :anjali:
The entire Bhagvad Gita is about Krishna coaxing Arjuna to kill his cousin brothers and grand uncle (of whom Arjuna was very fond). Hindu notion of Karma is different and only reason I mention it is because this is Current Events and News section.

To take up arms to combat Adharma is the sacred duty of a Dharmic person. As I said previously, being a Hin-Budd I am not subject to several constraints that Buddhists are.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:11 pm

In case this hasn't come your way ...
Walk Out of School to Demand Safer Gun Laws

On March 14, 2018, a Wednesday, there will be a national school walkout for gun reform. It is being led by Women’s March Youth Empower, an initiative by the folks who organized the Women’s March. The call is for students, parents, teachers and allies to take part in the walkout for 17 minutes at 10 a.m. across every time zone.

Why should you walk out? Because screaming on Twitter isn’t enough. Because physical, bodies-on-the-streets motion has worked before. ...
https://offspring.lifehacker.com/walk-o ... 53578?IR=T
or FB event page in case that's better - https://www.facebook.com/events/1767175080245694/

Kim