Hello from Chile

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
ivan

Hello from Chile

Post by ivan »

Hi everybody,

I've been slowly increasing the share of Dhamma in my life — started about 5 years ago with some books about meditation and a week-long retreat in Dipabhavan Meditation Center on Ko Samui, Thailand.

In the last year I finally managed to decrease my workload and get more space in my mind for studying Dhamma daily. Unfortunately, I don't have a teacher because Theravada is barely present in my country but I'm following wonderful talks from Ajahn Chah and his students.

I'm also working on a small non-profit project with a goal to arrange existing materials according to the modern UX design practices and make Dhamma more accessible for a curious person who's not yet curious enough to read a whole book. The idea was born from my own initial struggle to understand the basics from confusing sources like Wikipedia. Though it's a bit early to talk about it, I'd better share an early version later.

Happy to join your community!

— Ivan
Last edited by ivan on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Chile

Post by Sam Vara »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel, Ivan! :hello:
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:buddha1:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ivan,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

Welcome! Enjoy!
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

ivan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:49 pm Hi everybody,

I've been slowly increasing the share of Dhamma in my life — started about 5 years ago with some books about meditation and a week-long retreat in Dipabhavan Meditation Center on Ko Samui, Thailand.

In the last year I finally managed to decrease my workload and get more space in my mind for studying Dhamma daily. Unfortunately, I don't have a teacher because Theravada is barely present in my country but I'm following wonderful talks from Ajahn Chah and his students.

I'm also working on a small non-profit project with a goal to arrange existing materials according to the modern UX design practices and make Dhamma more accessible for a curious person who's not yet curious enough to read a whole book. The idea was born from my own initial struggle to understand the basics from confusing sources like Wikipedia. Though it's a bit early to talk about it, I'd better share an early version later.

Happy to join your community!

— Ivan
Hello:

I feel a little less lonely :) (Viña del Mar here)

Regards.
ivan

Post by ivan »

Thanks everybody!
2600htz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:39 pm Hello:

Regards.
Oh, awesome! Nice to meet you, I'm from the south (Valdivia) — we only have a couple of meditation groups here (Tibetan and Zen).
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

hola bienvenidos
por qué necesitas un maestro de dhamma? los suttas son suficientes
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

ivan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:25 pm Thanks everybody!
2600htz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:39 pm Hello:

Regards.
Oh, awesome! Nice to meet you, I'm from the south (Valdivia) — we only have a couple of meditation groups here (Tibetan and Zen).
Hello:

Nice to meet you :) . Yeah haven´t really looked up the Chilean buddhist scene in years but last time i did some search (like 5 years ago) it was very underdeveloped, there was some zen, tibetan and shambala buddhism, even some theravada but of doubtful reputation, and sadly very far from what the Buddha taught, so personally i thought it was better not getting involved.

Regards.
ivan

Post by ivan »

Dhammarakkhito wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 pm hola bienvenidos
Thanks! Sure, it's great just to have access to all the suttas and talks – I've always preferred learning on my own. But it would be nice to have an option to visit a teacher and a sangha.
2600htz wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:09 pm Hello:

Nice to meet you :) . Yeah haven´t really looked up the Chilean buddhist scene in years but last time i did some search (like 5 years ago) it was very underdeveloped, there was some zen, tibetan and shambala buddhism, even some theravada but of doubtful reputation, and sadly very far from what the Buddha taught, so personally i thought it was better not getting involved.

Regards.
Hopefully, it will change in future. Nowadays there seems to be not enough materials in Spanish or Portuguese and people in Latin America usually aren't proficient in English...
Cortadew

Post by Cortadew »

ivan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:59 pm
Dhammarakkhito wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 pm hola bienvenidos
Thanks! Sure, it's great just to have access to all the suttas and talks – I've always preferred learning on my own. But it would be nice to have an option to visit a teacher and a sangha.
2600htz wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:09 pm Hello:

Regards.
Hopefully, it will change in future. Nowadays there seems to be not enough materials in Spanish or Portuguese and people in Latin America usually aren't proficient in English...
Hola yo también soy de Chile practico totalmente por mi cuenta por medio de una comunidad latinoamericana de Telegram y también con la fundación Sirimangalo de un monje de Canadá Ven Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu. Podriamos ponernos en contacto si estás interesado en unirte. :anjali:
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

ivan joined two years ago and his last post was in 2018.