AN 11.13: Mahanama Sutta (six recollections)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cooran

Re: AN 11.13: Mahanama Sutta (six recollections)

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

There was a side discussion at a Retreat I attended late last year with Patrick Kearney. It concerned cetana (intention) and kusala and akusala cittas and vipaka. I asked a question citing my automatic monthly donations to a number of charitable foundations and dhamma centres. I was consciously aware on first implementing the donations and instructing the Bank to make them monthly - but aside from that, have not really thought of them since, except when getting the occasional email about activities the donations support.

It was suggested that I use the Recollections daily - even have a bank statement handy, so I was consciously aware of the dana I was performing. I understand the accumulations of wholesome and unwholesome cittas .... but, I have to say when I do it, it feels a little unusual .... having been brought up in a Society where you donate anonymously and don't 'brag'.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Chris wrote:I have to say when I do it, it feels a little unusual .... having been brought up in a Society where you donate anonymously and don't 'brag'.
So do it anonymously and don't brag. Neither of these actions is the same as recalling one's own deed in one's own mind. :shrug:
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Chris wrote: It was suggested that I use the Recollections daily - even have a bank statement handy, so I was consciously aware of the dana I was performing. I understand the accumulations of wholesome and unwholesome cittas .... but, I have to say when I do it, it feels a little unusual .... having been brought up in a Society where you donate anonymously and don't 'brag'.
Chris
Yes, I think Patrick talks about this sort of thing on one of the talks on his website: http://dharmasalon.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
About how dana is a public, not private action.

It used to seem odd to me to see my name, and how much I donated that month, on the noticeboard at the local Wat amongst the other names (mostly in Thai), but I think Patrick is right that some of us do a disservice to ourselves by being embarrassed about dana.

Metta
Mike
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Mike,
mikenz66 wrote:It used to seem odd to me to see my name, and how much I donated that month, on the noticeboard at the local Wat amongst the other names (mostly in Thai), but I think Patrick is right that some of us do a disservice to ourselves by being embarrassed about dana.
And to others too, for the whole idea of the noticeboard in the wat (and in Thailand the irritating bloke with the microphone yelling out the names of all the donors) is to give people the opportunity to rejoice in the merit made by others, which itself is deemed a meritorious act.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Mike,
mikenz66 wrote:It used to seem odd to me to see my name, and how much I donated that month, on the noticeboard at the local Wat amongst the other names (mostly in Thai), but I think Patrick is right that some of us do a disservice to ourselves by being embarrassed about dana.
And to others too, for the whole idea of the noticeboard in the wat (and in Thailand the irritating bloke with the microphone yelling out the names of all the donors) is to give people the opportunity to rejoice in the merit made by others, which itself is deemed a meritorious act.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Hi All
Personally it doesn't bother me if my name is published or not for giving Dana, as I see that as a sort of thank-you which is not needed but nice to get!
the only time it has bothered me was when it was more of a congrats for the work you've done, aren't you special type of thing, it was more like an award ceremony than a communal thanks.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

there is a sutta which talks of building parks and ponds which seem to generate merit for long periods. I always thought my monthly direct debit as something like that! it doesnt matter eventually- the whole point of dana for me atleast is to give rise to wholesome states of mind.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
bodom

Post by bodom »

rowyourboat wrote:there is a sutta which talks of building parks and ponds which seem to generate merit for long periods. I always thought my monthly direct debit as something like that! it doesnt matter eventually- the whole point of dana for me atleast is to give rise to wholesome states of mind.
Cariyapitaka Atthakatha, translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi

The perfection of giving is to be practiced by benefiting beings in many ways — by relinquishing one's happiness, belongings, body and life to others, by dispelling their fear, and by instructing them in the Dhamma.

Herein, giving is threefold by way of the object to be given: the giving of material things (amisadana), the giving of fearlessness (abhayadana), and the giving of the Dhamma (dhammadana). Among these, the object to be given can be twofold: internal and external. The external gift is tenfold: food, drink, garments, vehicles, garlands, scents, unguents, bedding, dwellings, and lamps. These gifts, again, become manifold by analyzing each into its constituents, e.g., food into hard food, soft food, etc. The external gift can also become sixfold when analyzed by way of sense objects: visible forms, sounds, smells, tastes, tangibles, and non-sensory objects. The sense objects, such as visible forms, become manifold when analyzed into blue, etc. So too, the external gift is manifold by way of the divers valuables and belongings, such as gems, gold, silver, pearls, coral, etc.; fields, land, parks, etc.; slaves, cows, buffaloes, etc.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi RYB,
rowyourboat wrote:there is a sutta which talks of building parks and ponds which seem to generate merit for long periods.
Even better than that...
  • "Here, if a certain person, while giving a gift, or undertaking the precepts, or observing the uposatha, or setting out drinks and refreshments for the use of passing travellers, or beautifying the area around his home, or worshipping a cetiya, or adorning a cetiya with perfumes and garlands, or circumambulating a cetiya, or engaging in any wholesome kamma belonging to the three planes, does not do so for the sake of a fortunate destiny, or birth, or relinking, or becoming, or wandering in saṃsāra, or continuing in the cycle, then all of these actions tend to the sundering of bonds, and are inclining, tending and sloping towards Nibbāna."
    (Nidd.ii.424)
Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Dhammanando
Dhammanando wrote:Hi RYB,
rowyourboat wrote:there is a sutta which talks of building parks and ponds which seem to generate merit for long periods.
Even better than that...
  • "Here, if a certain person, while giving a gift, or undertaking the precepts, or observing the uposatha, or setting out drinks and refreshments for the use of passing travellers, or beautifying the area around his home, or worshipping a cetiya, or adorning a cetiya with perfumes and garlands, or circumambulating a cetiya, or engaging in any wholesome kamma belonging to the three planes, does not do so for the sake of a fortunate destiny, or birth, or relinking, or becoming, or wandering in saṃsāra, or continuing in the cycle, then all of these actions tend to the sundering of bonds, and are inclining, tending and sloping towards Nibbāna."
    (Nidd.ii.424)
Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
what is a Cetiya?
and what does relinking mean?

Just wondering not come across those words/ideas before

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:Hi Dhammanandowhat is a Cetiya?
A cetiya (Sanskrit caitya) is about the same as a stupa.

Relinking (paṭisandhi) is the abhidhammic term for the moment of rebirth.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Bhante,
Dhammanando wrote:Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:Hi Dhammanandowhat is a Cetiya?
A cetiya (Sanskrit caitya) is about the same as a stupa.

Relinking (paṭisandhi) is the abhidhammic term for the moment of rebirth.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Thanks

John Stuart Mill
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

I tend to reflect on one of the first 6 recollections daily. Today I contemplated the Devas by reading verses from the Devatāsaṃyutta and Devaputtasaṃyutta of the Saṃyutta Nikāya. I'm surprised The Recollections aren't talked about more considering they the original "meditation objects" prescribed to lay followers.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Thank you for bumping this topic and allowing me to recollect the recollections!

:twothumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Thank you for bumping this topic and allowing me to recollect the recollections!

:twothumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
No problem.

:hello:

I was going to make a thread about the recollections, but I figured it might be best to just bump an existing one.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I also make use of the Recollections, especially the first. And I am glad when anyone brings them up, because they are roundly ignored by today's meditation industry. The sutta makes it clear that they are serious and useful subjects for meditation, and AN I.30 (or 1.296) says they can lead to enlightenment. There are probably not many who reflect on the devas, and I'm not sure how to go about that myself. But please keep exploring and share your experiences whenver you like.