Sotapanna

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Crazy cloud

Re: Sotapanna

Post by Crazy cloud » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 pm

It would be interesting to be considered by a "wise enough" mind, but i'm not sure I would regard it more than just another personal opinion.

:)
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters

Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:52 am

thepea wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:20 am
The thing is it is not something to fixate on.
There is a path to the end of suffering and those that have reached the final goal know the way.
Along the way every individual must pass through certain stages or realizations or wisdoms. Like traveling to the market you know you must walk to the set of lights cross the road make a right walk to the church, first street past church make a right pass the beer store and the market should come into view. There is no fixation on each waypoint as you pass them you let them go they are just helpful to follow the path.
This is your 'ideal' that you are explaining, not the actual experience that you have. You are conceiving of a path and creating landmarks within it. This is what is called 'the dream of existence'. It has no actual reality, it is a fiction created in our mental landscape. All this is impermanent, without substance. That is the real message of the masters.

thepea

Post by thepea » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:12 am

Saengnapha wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:52 am
This is your 'ideal' that you are explaining, not the actual experience that you have. You are conceiving of a path and creating landmarks within it. This is what is called 'the dream of existence'. It has no actual reality, it is a fiction created in our mental landscape. All this is impermanent, without substance. That is the real message of the masters.
Tell that to my children.

Impermanence is only fourth waypoint on the path, It is not the complete message of the masters though.

Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:55 pm

thepea wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:12 am
Saengnapha wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:52 am
Tell that to my children.

Impermanence is only fourth waypoint on the path, It is not the complete message of the masters though.
Give me their mobile numbers and we can have a chat. :D

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:42 pm

What does Goenka has to say about stream entry ? What does stream entry mean in the Goenka tradition ?

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:18 pm

the monk who is a learner reflects, 'Is there outside of this [doctrine & discipline] any brahman or contemplative who teaches the true, genuine, & accurate Dhamma like the Blessed One?' And he discerns, 'No, there is no brahman or contemplative outside of this doctrine & discipline who teaches the true, genuine, & accurate Dhamma like the Blessed One.'
Sekha Sutta
Don't wait, the time will never be just right

thepea

Post by thepea » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:28 pm

Saengnapha wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:55 pm

Give me their mobile numbers and we can have a chat. :D
They would drive you nuts, no point in you suffering needlessly. :P

thepea

Post by thepea » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:32 pm

Circle5 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:42 pm
What does Goenka has to say about stream entry ? What does stream entry mean in the Goenka tradition ?
Same as what has been discussed here you can google Goenka sotapanna and an article he wrote should pop up.

What does it mean to you and we could compare if there is any discrepancy?

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:18 pm

thepea wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:32 pm
Circle5 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:42 pm
Same as what has been discussed here you can google Goenka sotapanna and an article he wrote should pop up.

What does it mean to you and we could compare if there is any discrepancy?
I googled but nothing pops up regarding this topic. It's probably because goenka does not post too much info online and holds all the info on the video tapes. And the video tapes can not be found online for free.

thepea

Post by thepea » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:50 pm

Circle5 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:18 pm

I googled but nothing pops up regarding this topic. It's probably because goenka does not post too much info online and holds all the info on the video tapes. And the video tapes can not be found online for free.
Sorry I’m on my iPhone and don’t know how to cut
And paste the article it’s there and it’s free.
Videos of 10 day courses are also online free but the longer courses do not have video just audio but they are not available online.

Again what is your definition? and I’m happy to go over any differences of opinion.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:11 am

Circle5 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:18 pm
I googled but nothing pops up regarding this topic. ....
No problem when I Google...
http://www.vridhamma.org/en2007-06

:heart:
Mike

thepea

Post by thepea » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:21 am

Thanks mike that was the exact article I was looking at. :thumbsup: