Diversity among mods

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
No_Mind

Re: Diversity among mods

Post by No_Mind »

Mr Man wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:32 pm
No_Mind wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:48 pm
I was unfairly punished by DW Mod/Admin for not being liberal enough previously.
Hi No_Mind

You were punished for not being liberal enough? What do you mean?
I was banned for a month and no reasons were given. I have to take it that my general lack of sympathy for transgenders had something to do with it .. things like asking them to run few miles and take a cold bath in a thread.

I have no wish to get into that old argument. Since that thread I have become more tolerant of transpeople and would not insult them but waiting for more and authentic scientific research before I buy their story .. and till that time ignore them

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

No_Mind wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:14 pm
Mr Man wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:32 pm
No_Mind wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:48 pm
I was unfairly punished by DW Mod/Admin for not being liberal enough previously.
Hi No_Mind

You were punished for not being liberal enough? What do you mean?
I was banned for a month and no reasons were given. I have to take it that my general lack of sympathy for transgenders had something to do with it .. things like asking them to run few miles and take a cold bath in a thread.

I have no wish to get into that old argument. Since that thread I have become more tolerant of transpeople and would not insult them but waiting for more and authentic scientific research before I buy their story .. and till that time ignore them

:namaste:
Okay. Thanks No_Mind.
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

lyndon taylor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 pm
Pseudobabble wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:36 pm
lyndon taylor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:49 am The right wing posters never see a problem with the moderation.....
What's the problem Lyndon?
Have you noticed left wing posters like L.N. and Alan disappearing from the forum, I don't think that's a coincidence.
I had, and had presumed they contravened the TOS and were temporarily/permanently banned... Do you know differently?
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
binocular

Post by binocular »

lyndon taylor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 pmIts sad that you see it that way, and reflects how some people are not made welcome, the Dhamma at its heart is quite simple
Feel free to become enlightened.
:woohoo:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

binocular wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:31 pm
lyndon taylor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 pmIts sad that you see it that way, and reflects how some people are not made welcome, the Dhamma at its heart is quite simple
Feel free to become enlightened.
:woohoo:

Is this your idea of a Buddhist insult??
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

lyndon taylor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 pm
Have you noticed left wing posters like L.N. and Alan disappearing from the forum, I don't think that's a coincidence.
Alan tends to post intermittently, and was posting just a couple of days ago. Sometimes, things aren't as bad as we think they are.
binocular

Post by binocular »

lyndon taylor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:06 pmIs this your idea of a Buddhist insult??
So you're not into enlightenment and all that stuff?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Meezer77 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:01 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:45 am
No_Mind wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:47 am maybe DW needs some diversity
This is a scary trigger word for many people: diversity.
How so?
Some time I will innocently work the word "diversity" into a post in a specific way, just the word itself, completely innocuously and apolitically, then I will PM you. We will see how many people are triggered by something utterly non-triggering.

Being triggered transcends political divisions. I can think of various talking heads on stations like Fox News who are constantly triggered about something. I wouldn't say its just a liberal thing, though young ideological liberal university students are most famous for becoming "triggered" for certain, and afaik invented the term's current usage.

"Triggered" used to refer to triggered flashbacks of extreme trauma, like an assault or a rape.

Now it seems to refer to "being upset".
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

binocular wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:18 pm
lyndon taylor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:06 pmIs this your idea of a Buddhist insult??
So you're not into enlightenment and all that stuff?
No, I'm not into the idea that enlightenment or the forum has to be complex and is outside the ability of simple monks.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

binocular

Post by binocular »

Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:23 pmSome time I will innocently work the word "diversity" into a post in a specific way
Diversity of hedge fund investments.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:23 pm
Meezer77 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:01 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:45 am

This is a scary trigger word for many people: diversity.
How so?
Some time I will innocently work the word "diversity" into a post in a specific way, just the word itself, completely innocuously and apolitically, then I will PM you. We will see how many people are triggered by something utterly non-triggering.

Being triggered transcends political divisions. I can think of various talking heads on stations like Fox News who are constantly triggered about something. I wouldn't say its just a liberal thing, though young ideological liberal university students are most famous for becoming "triggered" for certain, in my experience.
Well our moderators went out of their way to explain how diversity is not one of their goals in the moderation team.

binocular

Post by binocular »

lyndon taylor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:40 pmNo, I'm not into the idea that enlightenment or the forum has to be complex and is outside the ability of simple monks.
Like I said: Feel free to become enlightened.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

binocular wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:43 pm
lyndon taylor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:40 pmNo, I'm not into the idea that enlightenment or the forum has to be complex and is outside the ability of simple monks.
Like I said: Feel free to become enlightened.
you also said the forum has to be complex and we don't need simple Asian monks to participate.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

>Hi Sarath. I wrote the OP as a bit of a joke. Not seriously at all. But it became a huge topic of discussion much to my surprise :lol: >

Forums are all about making a mountain out of mole hill. :D

>I was unfairly punished by DW Mod/Admin for not being liberal enough previously. Not by Paul. >

Yes, I can relate to you. But it is the past.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Just to clarify a couple of points, since these matters have come up in the conversation:

- No, there has been no disciplinary action against Alan in recent times.

- No one is discriminated against by staff on account of their political views. Once upon a time this would have happened (as per Sarath & No_Mind's experiences), but it doesn't happen now. The present team are very much against partiality in their acts of moderation, and for this reason, the Terms of Service state that...
At Dhamma Wheel, we respect your intellectual and spiritual autonomy. As such, the staff here will not enforce reverence to anyone or anything, nor censor speech gratuitously. In keeping with this respect for your autonomy, we expect you to be personally responsible for your own emotions and responses.
This isn't just a "soundbite" or a "gimmick"... it's a value which is strongly ingrained in the culture of the moderating team, and the very ability to do this is currently a non-negotiable prerequisite for being on the team.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."