Is hatred always bad, if you hate what should be hated?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Meezer77

Re: Is hatred always bad, if you hate what should be hated?

Post by Meezer77 »

Earlier on in the forum Alan was saying that he hates Donald Trump. I don't hate Trump myself, but I can't understand why a 70 year old would be allowed to run a country. He should be chilling out and playing golf or watching the telly or something.

Hope no one on here will hate me for expressing this opinion.
chownah

Post by chownah »

Meezer77 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:45 pm Earlier on in the forum Alan was saying that he hates Donald Trump. I don't hate Trump myself, but I can't understand why a 70 year old would be allowed to run a country. He should be chilling out and playing golf or watching the telly or something.

Hope no one on here will hate me for expressing this opinion.
:rofl:
chownah
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

alan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:36 am Friends, I hate bad things.
If you do not, please explain here.
Because I am an aware person, who hates bad things. some things need to be hated. Otherwise, people will continue to be stupid, and ignorant.
Right?
Oh, please don't just give me this nonsense about how we should all be non-hateful. What we need to be is smarter in our judgments.

If anyone can show an example in the Suttas where Buddha tells us to be stupid in our judgements, to not be aware, and to not hate things that need to be hated, show it now.
Perhaps you can use a less vigorous synonym viz dislike, resentment, detest in place of hate.

The words "I hate ..." causes physical reaction (increased blood pressure, increase in neuron activity). Dislike etc does not.

Are there lots of things I dislike .. sure.

:namaste:

No_Mind
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
xofz

Post by xofz »

There is one being I hated and wanted to see die more than anything, ever. That being is Satan. The devil himself. I also got royally pissed off at my mother for a while, but that eventually passed.

Is hatred for the devil righteous?
becoming aware!
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

I hate my boss at work, she's a total Rottweiler with knickers :evil:
alan

Post by alan »

You need to act on your hatred, if it is justified. Otherwise, you will just sit there and get slaughtered. Like the Jews, when Hitler came to power.
Who thinks the Jews should have not fought back? They could have fought from the beginning. Like I fight against God Dam Donald Trump.
Don't be deceived--don't be complacent. God Dam Trump is an existential threat to all we hold dear. You're a fool if you don't understand this.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

alan wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:57 am You need to act on your hatred, if it is justified. Otherwise, you will just sit there and get slaughtered. Like the Jews, when Hitler came to power.
Who thinks the Jews should have not fought back? They could have fought from the beginning. Like I fight against God Dam Donald Trump.
Don't be deceived--don't be complacent. God Dam Trump is an existential threat to all we hold dear. You're a fool if you don't understand this.
Better hate all the fools that don't understand this then. And hate all those who don't hate enough. And hate those who don't hate in the way you hate. Those people are the worst.
alan

Post by alan »

Correct. You need to figure out what to hate. For instance, I hate stupidity. I hate ignorance. I hate it when stupid, ignorant fools take over, and ruin it for the smart, aware, thoughtful people.
What do you hate?
SDC

Post by SDC »

alan wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:16 am Correct. You need to figure out what to hate. For instance, I hate stupidity. I hate ignorance. I hate it when stupid, ignorant fools take over, and ruin it for the smart, aware, thoughtful people.
What do you hate?
Complaining.

You sound ridiculous, dude. I remember when you were fun. "The time for fun is over" blah blah, yeah we get it. #disappointedinmyoldjazzbuddy
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
alan

Post by alan »

Jazz? I love that.
SDC

Post by SDC »

alan wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:44 am Jazz? I love that.
:twothumbsup:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
alan

Post by alan »

That's Lester Young on the sax solo. If you like that, listen to this. Because Jazz is a good thing, all the time. No complaining.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

I want to thank Sam Vara and Nicolas, and I can now say that I agree with them that there is no room for hatred towards anything, let alone anyone. In such cases as I previously might have opined that "hating evil might be appropriate," I now believe that one should arouse equanimity instead and the corresponding peaceful action. Thanks a lot both of you.
chownah

Post by chownah »

Anything that can be done with hatred can be done without hatred. Hatred is not necessary. It is just extra stress that one is adding to ones experience.
chowah
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

chownah wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:26 am Anything that can be done with hatred can be done without hatred. Hatred is not necessary. It is just extra stress that one is adding to ones experience.
chowah
This is true. But how do you stop it? Even after listening/reading lots of dhamma, I still often feel overwhelmed with it at times