Jackals

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
tiltbillings

Jackals

Post by tiltbillings »

Hello.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Re: Jackals

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tilt,

Lovely to see you here... I've always valued your postings.

Out of interest, Is jackals a reference to anything in particular? The first thing that comes to mind is the following sutta, but I doubt it's connected.

SN 17.8 - Sigala Sutta
http://vipassana.com/canon/samyutta/sn17-8.php
Dwelling at Savatthi. "Monks, gains, offerings, & fame are a cruel thing, a harsh, bitter obstacle to the attainment of the unexcelled rest from bondage.
"Have you heard the jackal howling in the last hours of the night?"

"Yes, lord."

"That jackal is suffering from mange. He finds no pleasure whether he goes to a bluff, to the foot of a tree, or to the open air. Wherever he goes, wherever he stands, wherever he sits, wherever he lies down, he is sunk in misery.

"In the same way there is the case where a certain monk is conquered by gains, offerings, & fame, his mind consumed. He finds no pleasure whether he goes to an empty dwelling, to the foot of a tree, or to the open air. Wherever he goes, wherever he stands, wherever he sits, wherever he lies down, he is sunk in misery. That's how cruel gains, offerings, & fame are: a harsh, bitter obstacle to the attainment of the unexcelled rest from bondage.

"Thus you should train yourselves: 'We will put aside any gains, offerings, & fame that have arisen; and we will not let any gains, offerings, & fame that have arisen keep our minds consumed.' That's how you should train yourselves."
Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Element

Post by Element »

Cool. 8-)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Actually, I adopted the jackal avatar during one of my interminable "discussions" on e-sangha about the appropriateness of the word hinayana.

”Your Majesty, why should one who follows the path leading to supreme enlightenment, who is like the lion, king of beasts, salute those who follow the Hinayana, who are like jackals? -- A Treasury of Mahayana Sutras, Garma Chang page 116.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Ah yes, that explains a few things.

Good to see you don't have the mange. ;)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Fleas are bad enough.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Tilt

I'm gladdened by your presence here.
I'm looking forward to your contributions.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Thanks. Right now I am tilting at windmills on another unnamed forum, defending the faith, but hope to put more energy here, soon.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Tilt

Please don't do anything that will cause you any discomfort.
Better to spend time with no one rather than to spend it with fools.
Anyway, its good to have you here!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Nice to see you here tilt... ;)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Good to be seen, and it is good to see you and other familiar faces here.

jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

:mrgreen:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

JC: Location: alaska

Can you see Russia from your house?

Fede

Post by Fede »

Bigger fleas have smaller fleas,
And little fleas to bite 'em.
And little fleas have littler fleas...
And so, ad infinitem!

Actually "Ad Infinitem" is not accurately pronounced 'ad infi-night-em' but 'ad infi-neat-em'
so maybe a better rhyme would be 'and little fleas to eat 'em', but it's an old poem and who am I to discuss semantics and split hairs?

Oh hi, Tilt, howya doing?

:D
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

I am doing good, and hopefully doing good.

My most recent post on e-sasngha:
SP: Not really.

Kinda really, it would seem.

I'm not that familiar with the Theravadan teachings.

Obviously.

That is, on the Mahayana side, we're trying to cultivate an attitude of salvation for everyone, so we contrast that with other attitudes, which are lesser in scope.

And how skillful is that, really?

Frankly, I'm surprised at how you've presented the Theravada here. I didn't realize that the post parinirvana influence of the Buddha and Arahants is so limited in this tradition.

Ah, well, I am in the company of an august figure who can determine the influences of the arahants and the Buddha. Limited? You determine the value and influence based upon what? The awakening of an arahant (who is tathagata) is no different from that of a Buddha. It is something carries forward well after the death of the one awake. It is something is both subtle and profound, keeping alive the letter and spirit of the teachings, changing what it touches as it moves through time, as it manifests in the practice of the student, in the kindness extended, in the word of comfort given, in the goodness achieved, in the insight attained, and in the impurity uprooted.

Limited? By what? By no thing, whatsoever.

It's as if you cultivate lovingkindness for everyone but with no method to realize it after attainment. Honestly I don't get it.

That you do not get it is obvious. For some, this value and influence of awakening of the arahants and the Buddha needs to be personified by mythic figures and inspiring doctrines who and which embody this Dhammic influence, giving them something upon which hold in a very insecure, frightening world.
tilt, tilting at windmills.