Why are far-right political views so predominant on DW?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
L.N.

Re: Why are far-right political views so predominant on DW?

Post by L.N. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:19 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:06 am
For the love of Buddha, please cease your overwrought behavioural analyses and get back to the topic. I honestly don't know how to get this through your head.
And I don't know how to get through your head what I have tried to tell you. You think I don't want to listen to you. I think you do not want to listen to me.

"Overwrought" is yet a further effort to assess my perceived state of mind. Get that through your head. I don't sit here psychoanalyzing you or making judgements about your character. But you do this all day, without pause, and then make excuses for yourself.

Again, you can dish it out, but you can't take it. Would you like me to begin speaking about your personal characteristics and your state of mind the way you continuously comment about mine? You don't know me. I came here for the Dhamma discussion. Instead, I get this garbage from you.

I realize this will only embolden you to continue with your assessments of my character and state of mind. You appear to be blind to your own actions.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:23 am

DooDoot wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:12 am
limited role for government - probably not buddhist; while buddhism would not support big govt, it does support govt rather than law of the jungle

limited social programs - yes & no buddhist; buddhism supports self-reliance but also a charity safety net

promoting traditional social values - very buddhist

What the heck are you talking about? Buddhism, if it is anything, is a path for ones liberation. Trying to differentiate political views as to whether or not they are "Buddhist" is completely missing the point. It also is disrespectful of other views.

Although I understand you and others have made judgments that some of us here are "adhammic" and not Buddhist, probably because of your political disagreement.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:32 am

L.N. wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:23 am
What the heck are you talking about? Buddhism, if it is anything, is a path for ones liberation. Trying to differentiate political views as to whether or not they are "Buddhist" is completely missing the point. It also is disrespectful of other views.
Buddhism contains two types of teachings:

1. teachings for individual liberation

2. teachings for the ordinary social world

Everything I posted I can support with quotes from the Pali suttas.
L.N. wrote:
Although I understand you and others have made judgments that some of us here are "adhammic" and not Buddhist, probably because of your political disagreement.
Not at all. Whatever I have judged as adhammic accords with the Pali suttas, such as the behaviour of George Soros.
Last edited by DooDoot on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:35 am

DooDoot wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:32 am
L.N. wrote:
Buddhism contains two types of teachings:

1. teachings for individual liberation

2. teachings for the ordinary social world

Everything I posted I can support with quotes from the Pali suttas.
L.N. wrote:
Not at all. Whatever I have judged as adhammic accords with the Pali suttas, such as the behaviour of George Soros.
I don't think you're serious. These comments are just too silly. Related topic:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=30741&p=447795#p447795
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:38 am

L.N. wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:35 am
I don't think you're serious. These comments are just too silly.
Not at all. Whatever I have judged as adhammic accords with the Pali suttas, such as the behaviour of George Soros. For example, Buddhism does not support unwarranted immoral war, murder & killing therefore giving $11M for the election campaign of a war-maker is not Buddhism.

Buddhism does not support greed therefore making oneself a billionaire without care towards the social-economic consequences to others is not Buddhist.

If you wish to learn about Buddhism, maybe start with the five precepts then move on to the 10 wholesome actions.

Kind regards
Last edited by DooDoot on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:39 am

Greetings L.N.,
L.N. wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:19 am
"Overwrought" is yet a further effort to assess my perceived state of mind. Get that through your head.
False.

It is simply what your analysis is ... calling your analyses "overwrought" makes no comment one way or another about any neuroses, hang ups etc.
L.N. wrote:
Again, you can dish it out, but you can't take it.
As you've said, for the umpteenth time. Believe me, I can "take it"... but my concern isn't whether I can take it or not... my concern is that I have a forum to run here.

But by all means, if you want to "take it outside" and come talk in another environment, then I'll be more than happy to tell you what I think of you, and hear what you have to say about me.

Until such time, for the last time, cut the meta-discussion and overwrought psychological analyses etc.

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:42 am

DooDoot wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:38 am
Buddhism does not support greed therefore making oneself a billionaire without care towards the social-economic consequences to others is not Buddhist.
Buddhism does not teach judging others in this manner. Focus on yourself instead of railing against people who have different political views.
If you wish to learn about Buddhism, maybe start with the five precepts then move on to the 10 wholesome actions.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:44 am

L.N. wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:42 am
DooDoot wrote:
Buddhism does not teach judging others in this manner. Focus on yourself instead of railing against people who have different political views.
Sorry. But Buddhism clearly distinguishes between wholesome & unwholesome actions. Again, probably evidence is required for your ideas.

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:48 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:39 am
L.N. wrote:
"Overwrought" is yet a further effort to assess my perceived state of mind. Get that through your head.
False.

It is simply what your analysis is ... calling your analyses "overwrought" makes no comment one way or another about any neuroses, hang ups etc.
Fair enough, if that is how you truly intended it, then I accept your assessment that you believe the analysis was "overwrought." However, I do not know what that means or how to correct it in the context of my commentary about your ongoing negative speech.
L.N. wrote:
Again, you can dish it out, but you can't take it.
As you've said, for the umpteenth time. Believe me, I can "take it"... but my concern isn't whether I can take it or not... my concern is that I have a forum to run here.
Then run it. Why do you spend so much time invading my Topics about Right Speech to comment about me personally? Why the need to ban me for political speech? Why the ongoing double-standard?
But by all means, if you want to "take it outside" and come talk in another environment, then I'll be more than happy to tell you what I think of you, and hear what you have to say about me.
You don't know me. You have no reasonable basis for all of the various judgments you have made about my character and person.
Until such time, for the last time, cut the meta-discussion and overwrought psychological analyses etc.
It's only meta-discussion if someone else does it. If you do it, or if your supporters do it, it is not meta-discussion. I can sense another ban coming.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:57 am

DooDoot wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:44 am
L.N. wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:42 am
DooDoot wrote:
Sorry. But Buddhism clearly distinguishes between wholesome & unwholesome actions. Again, probably evidence is required for your ideas.
This in no way addresses what I said. Are you George Soros? If not, what business do you have focusing on George Soros (and others) instead of on yourself?

Lots of judgments being made here about the character of others. When will we stop judging people and start paying attention to the words themselves? When will we start having civil discussions? From the looks of it, never ever.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:06 am

I feel like I'm watching an episode of Jerry Springer: Buddhist Forum Edition.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:09 am

Mkoll wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:06 am
I feel like I'm watching an episode of Jerry Springer: Buddhist Forum Edition.
Me too. :roll:
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:10 am

L.N. wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:57 am
This in no way addresses what I said. Are you George Soros? If not, what business do you have focusing on George Soros (and others) instead of on yourself?
I don't recall originally bringing up George Soros however there were discussions going here about topics which concern people and those topics, regardless of different viewpoints, are generally about a situation that is creating suffering &, like good Buddhists, people are looking for causes of those sufferings & conflicts; thus somebody, I think Retrofuturist, mentioned George Soros, which is similar to mentioning Hitler, Stalin or Obama in a discussion about human suffering.
L.N. wrote:
Lots of judgments being made here about the character of others. When will we stop judging people and start paying attention to the words themselves? When will we start having civil discussions? From the looks of it, never ever.
You appear to continue to attempt to use Dhamma as a means of censorship. People here are simply having discussions about world problems. If you personally are not concerned about world problems but only with your personal liberation then maybe you should focus on meditation instead of discussion forums. I repeat: people here are simply have discussion & presenting their different views but you seem to be inclined towards police-ing the forum for PCness.

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 am

DooDoot wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:10 am
I don't recall originally bringing up George Soros ...
You must have been referring to a different billionaire.
... however there were discussions going here about topics which concern people and those topics, regardless of different viewpoints, are generally about a situation that is creating suffering &, like good Buddhists, people are looking for causes of those sufferings & conflicts; thus somebody, I think Retrofuturist, mentioned George Soros, which is similar to mentioning Hitler, Stalin or Obama in a discussion about human suffering.
L.N. wrote:
You appear to continue to attempt to use Dhamma as a means of censorship.
Huh? That makes no sense.
People here are simply having discussions about world problems.
No, it is not as simple as that.
If you personally are not concerned about world problems but only with your personal liberation then maybe you should focus on meditation instead of discussion forums.
This in no way is responsive to what I said.
I repeat: people here are simply have discussion & presenting their different views but you seem to be inclined towards police-ing the forum.
Are you kidding? People you disagree with are "censoring" or "policing" or (as retrofuturist may prefer) engaging in "meta-discussion." However, none of this applies to repeated attempts to shut down the speech by people who disagree with you. Double standard.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:26 am

As stated in the OP:
L.N. wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:17 am
I have hoped that this DW forum was devoted to discussion of Dhamma. I hope I have not wandered into a forum which is more guided by political views than an aspiration for Right View.
It appears to me that, regardless of the makeup of the Membership, the forum itself is guided very strongly by the political views of the Team. I am sure more negative commentary will now follow. Not expecting anything to change.

In my view, this is a reflection of the broader tendency toward the personalization of politics, as discussed earlier. Politics, the news, and related discussions in general have degenerated in this way, in my opinion and based on my observations. There are of course exceptions.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro