Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
DooDoot

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by DooDoot » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Dharmasherab wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:08 pm
As for that person you mentioned I dont read his posts because he is in my ignore list for reasons of my own (which I have already discussed with the admins).
If DhammaWheel is an unbearable suffering creating information overload then what hope is there maintaining boundless compassion, composure, equanimity & wisdom with the mass media? Bodhicitta wishes to save all sentient beings & ignores none. Bodhicitta is boundless, without limit. Therefore, it is impossible for the Boundless Limitless Compassion of Bodhicitta to experience 'Information Overload'. Living as Buddhists in the current information age means living in an age of 'BodhiCitta Overload' because Bodhicitta flows towards all infomation like life giving water flows towards low dry ground. The more unwholesome information, the more BodhiCitta that is generated, in response. This being said, in the Pali suttas, the "person" is "the burden" of carrying the five aggregates with self-view. Bodhicitta is accompanied by a falling away of the attachment to the illusion of an inherently existing self or 'person'. :roll:
Bodhicitta is a spontaneous wish to attain enlightenment motivated by great compassion for all sentient beings, accompanied by a falling away of the attachment to the illusion of an inherently existing self.

With a determination to achieve the highest aim
For the benefit of all sentient beings
Which surpasses even the wish-fulfilling gem,
May I hold them dear at all times.

Whenever I interact with someone,
May I view myself as the lowest amongst all,
And, from the very depths of my heart,
Respectfully hold the other as superior.

In all my deeds may I probe into my mind,
And as soon as mental and emotional afflictions arise-
As they endanger myself and others-
May I strongly confront them and avert them.

When I see beings I personally dislike
That lead me to strong negativity and suffering,
May I hold them dear-for they are rare to find-
As if I have discovered a jewel treasure!
May I regard him still as my precious teacher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhicitta
And he lets his mind pervade one quarter of the world with thoughts of Compassion, and so the second, and so the third, and so the fourth. And thus the whole wide world, above, below, around, and everywhere, does he continue to pervade with heart of Compassion, far-reaching, grown great, and beyond measure.

Just, Vāseṭṭha, as a mighty trumpeter makes himself heard—and that without difficulty—in all the four directions; even so of all things that have shape or life, there is not one that he passes by or leaves aside, but regards them all with mind set free, and deep-felt Compassion.

https://suttacentral.net/en/dn13
A burden indeed
are the five aggregates,
when the carrier of the burden
is the person
Taking up the burden in the world
is stressful.
Casting off the burden
is bliss.
Having cast off the heavy burden
and not taking on another,
pulling up craving,
along with its root,
one is free from hunger,
totally unbound.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Last edited by DooDoot on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:08 am

Aloka wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:52 pm
I made that comment because you said "I prefer not to discuss Tibetan Buddhism in DhammaWheel" and it seemed strange that you would say that when you have quoted Tibetan lamas in your posts, that's all.
I think I should have phrased this as "unfortunately the ToS doesnt allow me to explain about Tibetan Buddhism" and then communicated through personal messenger (but only if you were interested).

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:20 am

Greetings,

C'mon gentlemen... That's information overload. 8-)

Remember...
Terms of Service wrote: 2f. Ad-hominem attacks, including the vilification of individuals based on any attributes - whether related to their personal attributes (e.g. gender, nationality, sexuality, race, age) or their approach to the Dhamma (e.g. their practices, level of experience, or chosen tradition)
:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

manas

Post by manas » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 am

With regard to what is on TV, there is no 'news', just the same tired old story, with different names and faces doing the same old things.
Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.

- Dhp 40

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:22 pm

manas wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 am
With regard to what is on TV, there is no 'news', just the same tired old story, with different names and faces doing the same old things.
I find that as time goes on I am increasingly less interested in politics and current affairs. I see little point in getting worked up about stuff I can do nothing about.
Buddha save me from new-agers!

binocular

Post by binocular » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Dharmasherab wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:12 pm
We live in an age where information is highly abundant. But we need to ask ourselves whether that is always a good thing? It can depend on what type of information we are talking about.
This is also a commercial niche for self-help books:
The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:33 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:22 pm
manas wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 am
I find that as time goes on I am increasingly less interested in politics and current affairs. I see little point in getting worked up about stuff I can do nothing about.
I don't know your personal situation but have you considered that you might have reached the social status of being "old and in the way"? Here's a test to find out: Is finding a clean pair of matching sox and gumming down your mid morning mush the tasks you have set out to accomplish before noon?....and is arriving at bed time without having stained your underwear your major accomplishment of the day?....if so then I'm sorry to say...........
chownah

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:35 am

Don't let 'information overload' become 'information overlord'.
chownah

Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:35 pm

binocular wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:01 pm
This is also a commercial niche for self-help books:
The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload
Ah! I did buy that book sometime and should read it. But I do agree the self-help section of bookstores tend to prey on people's vulnerabilities and turn that into a money making machine. I am hopeful most of us wont need self-help guides to make us see that we are better off avoiding junk information pouring out of the mass media hose pipe. :-)