A. L. De Silva's "Beyond Belief"

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
ieee23

Re: A. L. De Silva's "Beyond Belief"

Post by ieee23 »

Dhammakid wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:00 am I do agree that it's better to not engage in debate, and I try very hard to do that whenever possible.
I think some people who are inclined to seek converts, do it in part to bolster their faith against their own doubts. Getting into a debate with or argument with them can help them solidify their faith by getting a chance to forcefully repeat the beliefs they have faith in.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Christians and Buddhists hold you should believe in the afterlife
and the consequences hereafter
befriend

Post by befriend »

I love Christianity. They do more charity work than Buddhist organizations. Christianity is a solid religion or at least what Jesus taught. I agree the new and old testaments are pretty diabolical. But saying our father prayers or the Jesus centering prayer and having Jesus as a role model or praying Hail Marys is an effective way of reducing negative emotions. Why would we let an atheist defend Buddhism someone who lacks faith. What despicable place to put your effort. Christians are renunciation believers heaven and hell believers afterlife believers charity believers self sacrificial forgiving and ethical in thought believers metta and mindfulness and the Quakers are pretty much single handedly responsible for eradicating slavery in Britain and have given equality to women.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
befriend

Post by befriend »

Too much intellectualism and scholar, in El Salvador it is Christianity that is the only viable form of rehabilitation for former and current gang members according to the gang members themselves. Homicide has dropped in that country because of church intervention.
befriend

Post by befriend »

"Be still and know that I am God". Sums up the heart of Christianity and Buddhism. "Correct posture is the conclusion of Buddhism". -zen mind beginners mind
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

befriend wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 pm I love Christianity. They do more charity work than Buddhist organizations. Christianity is a solid religion or at least what Jesus taught. I agree the new and old testaments are pretty diabolical. But saying our father prayers or the Jesus centering prayer and having Jesus as a role model or praying Hail Marys is an effective way of reducing negative emotions. Why would we let an atheist defend Buddhism someone who lacks faith. What despicable place to put your effort. Christians are renunciation believers heaven and hell believers afterlife believers charity believers self sacrificial forgiving and ethical in thought believers metta and mindfulness and the Quakers are pretty much single handedly responsible for eradicating slavery in Britain and have given equality to women.
They were also responsible for the Inquisition and worked with the Nazis during the Holocaust. Christians have also been murdering doctors and other staff at family planning clinics and women's health centers. As a child a bully much larger than I am hit me in the street because I wasn't Catholic. His mother didn't care.

I'll just say "No Thank You" to Christianity.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

ieee23 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:29 am
befriend wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 pm I love Christianity. They do more charity work than Buddhist organizations. Christianity is a solid religion or at least what Jesus taught. I agree the new and old testaments are pretty diabolical. But saying our father prayers or the Jesus centering prayer and having Jesus as a role model or praying Hail Marys is an effective way of reducing negative emotions. Why would we let an atheist defend Buddhism someone who lacks faith. What despicable place to put your effort. Christians are renunciation believers heaven and hell believers afterlife believers charity believers self sacrificial forgiving and ethical in thought believers metta and mindfulness and the Quakers are pretty much single handedly responsible for eradicating slavery in Britain and have given equality to women.
They were also responsible for the Inquisition and worked with the Nazis during the Holocaust. Christians have also been murdering doctors and other staff at family planning clinics and women's health centers. As a child a bully much larger than I am hit me in the street because I wasn't Catholic. His mother didn't care.

Just because some Christians do certain things doesn't mean all do - are you ready to say that the Buddhists committing atrocities in Burma are representative of all Buddhists? I would hope not!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Garrib wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:47 am Just because some Christians do certain things doesn't mean all do - are you ready to say that the Buddhists committing atrocities in Burma are representative of all Buddhists? I would hope not!
Indeed. It was a totally ridiculous statement... I'm sure there were millions of Christians fighting against the Nazis too.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
befriend

Post by befriend »

Their prayers work wonders in releasing stucked baggage. a Christian hurt you so Jesus' techniques don't work? I don't think that kid was loving his enemy as Christ taught I think the world is a better place having Christianity in it. It can give people comfort and peace and joy not based on the flesh. People identifying with their religions like Buddhism belongs to me I'm a Buddhist I'm the best everything else is worthless because I focus on their negative attributes all other religions are animal religions that's not coming from wisdom it's coming from hearsay Focus on their positive attributes which when taken to heart Jesus teachings are super simple and transformative. And if anyone were to God forbid try another religion they might see why it's been around for a couple thousand years.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

And, Buddhists are slaughtering and participating in 'ethnic cleansing' right now in Myanmar and Thailand. Do you think that Buddhists, in general, act in such a manner everywhere? Such beliefs and actions are not sanctioned in either religion. There are always the 'powers that be' that will act in the 'name' of their religion. This is what I'm suspicious of.
befriend

Post by befriend »

Christianity is like the gradual path of Buddhism generosity morality and renunciation which leads to heaven or favorable human realm. Buddha said that not everyone is ready to be taught the highest teachings on Buddhism. That's where Christianity can come in for different personality types.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

If anyone is interested in both Christianity and Buddhism, the books of Bernadette Roberts is required reading. Here is a Christian practitioner detailing her journey to No-Self and beyond, and writing with a sharp dexterity unlike anything I've ever read before. 'What Is Self, is an important book in the Christian contemplative tradition that is worthy of anyone's time. The introduction is done by a Zen priest!
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

Saengnapha wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:15 am If anyone is interested in both Christianity and Buddhism, the books of Bernadette Roberts is required reading. Here is a Christian practitioner detailing her journey to No-Self and beyond, and writing with a sharp dexterity unlike anything I've ever read before. 'What Is Self, is an important book in the Christian contemplative tradition that is worthy of anyone's time. The introduction is done by a Zen priest!

:heart: Bernadette Roberts!
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Saengnapha wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:07 am

And, Buddhists are slaughtering and participating in 'ethnic cleansing' right now in Myanmar and Thailand. Do you think that Buddhists, in general, act in such a manner everywhere? Such beliefs and actions are not sanctioned in either religion. There are always the 'powers that be' that will act in the 'name' of their religion. This is what I'm suspicious of.
Could the last para " Buddhists are slaughtering........" be ammened as so called Buddhists in Myanmar are slaughtering........ .
Politicians who use Buddhism as a cover are the slaughteres. In Myanmar there are Buddhist priests who have attained Marg phala too. Therefore one should be careful when one writes.
chownah

Post by chownah »

All buddhists are so called buddhists. The buddha wasn't a so called buddhist and he never called any of his followers 'so called buddhists' or even just 'buddhists'. The buddha didn't teach buddhism and so anyone who follows buddhism should be called a 'so called buddhist'.
chownah