Sound object for concentration meditation

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
hohohodam

Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by hohohodam »

Can I get a recommended reading list for understanding sound object as meditation? I googled but failed to find anything on it.

My recent experience in using gong sound as meditation object has been very positive and would like to explore further.

Thanks!
mikenz66

Re: Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi hohohodam

I've not seen any instructions on how to use sound as a concentration object. There is plenty of advice on using it as a secondary object in "insight" practise, but that's probably not relevant to your purpose.

:heart:
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

You may find something addressing your interest here, Sound as a medititaion focus: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... T_ITf97Rt8
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
hohohodam

Post by hohohodam »

Thanks. What I really want to know perhaps is its legitimacy as a meditation object according to past teachers and traditions.
robertk

Post by robertk »

Kantaka sutta,
lists impediments to concentration such as sound
paṭhamassa jhānassa saddo kaṇṭako
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

hohohodam wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:05 am Thanks. What I really want to know perhaps is its legitimacy as a meditation object according to past teachers and traditions.
You will get those who likely will say "no," for there is no textual support for it, but if you can pay attention to, be mindful of, a more or less constant sound, it may work as a meditation object. It is not typical as a primary object, but it might be of interest to try. Sound, like the other sensory inputs, can be an object of attention/mindfulness.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

robertk wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:19 am Kantaka sutta,
lists impediments to concentration such as sound
paṭhamassa jhānassa saddo kaṇṭako
It certainly can be an impediment, especially if one is trying to cultivate jhana; however, if one's concentration and mindfulness are strong, if one is an experienced practitioner, probably not so much of an impediment.

aflatun

Post by aflatun »

hohohodam wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:36 am Can I get a recommended reading list for understanding sound object as meditation? I googled but failed to find anything on it.

My recent experience in using gong sound as meditation object has been very positive and would like to explore further.

Thanks!
You might want to google around for "the sound of silence" and Ajahn Sumedho
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

There is this - The Sound of Silence by Ajahn Amaro

http://www.lionsroar.com/the-sound-of-silence/
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mr Man wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:08 pm There is this - The Sound of Silence by Ajahn Amaro

http://www.lionsroar.com/the-sound-of-silence/
I had forgotten about this book. Good call.

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I had forgotten about this book. Good call.
There's also "The Sound of Silence" by Ajahn Sumedho, which is probably the book you'd forgotten about, Tilt.

https://cdn.amaravati.org/wp-content/up ... ilence.pdf

:anjali:
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

aflatun wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:27 pm
hohohodam wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:36 am Can I get a recommended reading list for understanding sound object as meditation? I googled but failed to find anything on it.

Thanks!
I think that's a Simon & Garfunkel creation. :D
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Saengnapha wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:34 am
aflatun wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks!
I think that's a Simon & Garfunkel creation. :D
Or tinnitus. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thank you Badscoter.
Welcome back to the forum after a long time.
Interesting video. So I created a new thread.
I recommend watching all his other videos.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”