Etymology of upekkha

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
phil

Etymology of upekkha

Post by phil »

I read that the etymology of upekkha is something like "to climb up and look over." Google and Dhammawheel search didn't clarify, would somebody be able to confirm that?

Thanks.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
Assaji

Re: Etymology of upekkha

Post by Assaji »

Hi Phil,

It's rather 'looking on' (upa+ikkh).

See the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5939
nibbedhika

Post by nibbedhika »

Corresponds to the Sanskrit utpreksha.

preksha means to be a spectator or to look on without interfering, while the prefix ud has the meanings of superiority or separation.

The root verb is the same - iksha/ikkha/to see - from which we get other Sanskrit words like anapeksha (to totally disregard.)
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Yes, in later Sanskrit reconstruction this word somehow obtained the connotations of superiority, condescendence and disregard.
phil

Post by phil »

Dmytro wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:09 pm Yes, in later Sanskrit reconstruction this word somehow obtained the connotations of superiority, condescendence and disregard.
Thanks for your feedback Dmytro and nibbedhika.

I suppose it is possible to have the idea of being in a higher position looking down with a kusala meaning, I think of the Dhammapada verse w/ looking down from heights on "fools", i forget the exact words. I'm just going to check my bilingual Dhammapada for the Pali to see the verb that is used.

no, it is, avekkhati, "see with the divine eye", though the English translation is observes.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit correspondence is "upekṣā", which is less distorted.

However it would be unnatural to draw etymology from a language that was created much later.
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

Dmytro wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:25 pmHowever it would be unnatural to draw etymology from a language that was created much later.
I am not going to argue on the fact that many great Pali scholars are disagreeing with you on that matter. Because they are usually adding as much nonsensical elucidations, than you.

I am just going to tell you one thing; and you'll infer from that.
What has been said in the Vedas 3000 years ago, is being said today - by a scholar of the Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute, for instance - the same exact way; with absolutely no distortion at all - intonation included.
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.