Dharana Paritta Pali

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dhammanucara

Dharana Paritta Pali

Post by Dhammanucara »

I have actually posted this question before in esangha but I didnt get the answer and in the end the whole topic is just ignored in the end. I hope this will not happen here though :tongue:

I found this Paritta recited by most of the Burmese monks, particularly those from the Mahasi Sayadaw lineage. However, forgive me if I sound offensive, I have doubt about this Paritta because it sounds more like a Mahayanese text than a Theravada text. In this text, it apparently says that the Buddha has His own protective Paritta for His disciples and He passed this to Ven Ananda and asked him to RECITE for protection. It further says that those who recite it will be protected from all evils. I mean, there is nothing wrong with that, as most protective parittas have that kind of function as well- to ward off evil, just as those like Ratana Sutta, Mangala Sutta, Dhajagga Sutta, etc, but this Paritta , to me, is portrayed in such a way like how a Mahayana text is portrayed, to be more exact like the Shurangama Mantra “if you recite this, all those evils will not approach you” kind of attitude. Its another name is also known as Buddhassa Attharasa Avenika Dhamma (The 18 Distinguished Marks of the Buddha), and it is found in the Burmese Tipitaka Pathikavagga-Tika (p.98). Below is the full text I found on a chanting book, and I highly appreciate your thoughts (and would further appreciate if you can convince me that this is indeed a Theravada text). :tongue:

"1. One could not endanger the life of the Buddha. Similarly, let it be the same for me. The Buddha, replete with six glories, possessing uninhibited wisdom of the past, of the future and of the present. The wisdom of the Buddha, replete with six glories and possessing the afore-mentioned three attributes, determined all His physical actions. All physical actions were in accordance with His wisdom. All of the Buddha’s verbal actions were determined by His wisdom and in accordance with His wisdom. All of the Buddha’s mental actions were determined by His wisdom and in accordance with His wisdom.
2. The noble goal of the Buddha, replete with these six attributes and six glories, to bring benefit to all sentient beings never diminished. His giving of Dhamma discourses never diminished. His effort to benefit others never diminished. His insight of Vipassaana, whereby all phenomena were analyzed as reflecting the three characteristics such as anicca never diminished. His concentration of mind never diminished. His realization of fruition or arahata phala never diminished.
3. The Buddha, replete with these twelve attributes and six glories, never behaved or spoke frivolously, never behaved or spoke absent-mindedly, never encountered any phenomenon that was incomprehensible to His wisdom, never acted hastily without due consideration but was guided by His wisdom, never had an attitude without concern for others, and never acted indifferently without contemplating wisely.
4. I pay homage to the Buddha with his eighteen attributes and six glories, together with His predecessors of Gautama such as Vipassi, Sikhi, Vesabhu, Kakusanda, Konagammana and Kassapa. In the same rein as previous Buddhas before Him, our Buddha, whose coming was auspicious, never indulged in unwholesome speech and thoughts.
5. For the Buddha with his glories, there was no inhibition to His wisdom of the past, no inhibition to His wisdom of the future, no inhibition to His wisdom of the present. For the Buddha, there was no action not led by wisdom, not following wisdom. There was no verbal action not led by wisdom, not following wisdom. There was no mental action not led by wisdom, not following wisdom.
6. This Dharana Paritta, which should be embraced, is incomparable, is unequal to anything. It is the refuge for all beings, a hide-out and resting place, an excellent barrier for those who are afraid of the cycle of birth and death, a powerful, glorious and effective barrier indeed.
7. My beloved Ananda, do recite and embrace this powerful, glorious and effective Dharana Paritta, do learn and note it, do query, inquire and ponder it. Those who recite, embrace, learn, note, query, inquire and ponder it would be immune to poisons of snakes and serpents, would not drown, would not be consumed by fire, and would be free from all kinds of dangers. One would be immune from the evil designs of anyone who concocts an evil scheme for one day, or two days, or three days or four days. One would not become insane or stupefied nor confused but would have a stable mind. One would not become the victim of evil-persons or ogres or ghosts who could not torture nor torment nor destroy you.
8. That Dharana Paritta is such that its power and efficacy in extinguishing all dangers akin to that of the seven suns which could burn and consume all the ten thousands worlds of the universe. It has the power and efficacy similar to a steel cage barring all celestial beings, serpents and dragons, garudas, ogres and demons. It can neutralize and stop enemies and dangers such as floods, fires, despots, thieves and the ones whom you do not like. One could escape from the three kappas, viz the scourge of famine. On conception in the mother’s womb, one would be free from becoming mute, deaf, insane and ill. Even if one falls from a tree, or off a cliff, or a canyon, one would escape death. One would gain wealth and possession already accumulated would grow and multiply. One would be delivered from darkness into light, truth and goodness.
9. My beloved Ananda, past Buddhas numbering some seventy seven croes (a unit of 10 million) have also delivered their Dharana Paritta. It is associated with good and wholesome effects, not with unwholesome and evil effects. It bears the taste and fragrance of good and wholesome nature, not of evil and unwholesome nature. Ir bears food and wholesome mental attitudes, not evil and unwholesome ones. It leads one to be associated with moral and good persons, not with evil and bad persons. It engenders wholesome physical attributes, not unwholesome attributes. It allows meritorious actions to be performed, not unwholesome ones. It brings pleasant dreams, not nightmares. It brings good visions and oracles, not bad ones. It can resuscitate dead plants. It can enhance living plants with blossoming foliage, branches and leaves. It can deliver one from darkness to light in truth and probity.
10. My beloved Ananda, past Buddhas numbering some ninety nine croes have delivered this Dharana Paritta. It can reveal the evil designs of schemers. One cannot be hurt by swords, lances weapons, arrows, firearms and cannons. It can increase the efficacy and power of mantras and recitations. It can dispel all kinds of illness and dangers. One cannot be struck by violent afflictions and illness. One can escape from the confines of ropes, handcuffs, manacles, chains, stocks and other forms of confinements and restraints.
May you be well and happy at all times due to the truth thus uttered. "
cooran

Re: Dharana Paritta Pali

Post by cooran »

One cannot be hurt by swords, lances weapons, arrows, firearms and cannons.
Sounds like a poor translation - on first reading - as it mentions firearms and cannons :o These weren't used for another thousand years or so after the Buddha.

First used in China, cannon were among the earliest forms of gunpowder artillery, and over time replaced siege engines—among other forms of aging weaponry—on the battlefield. The first hand cannon appeared during the 1260 Battle of Ain Jalut between the Mamluks and Mongols in the Middle East. The first cannon in Europe were probably used in Iberia, during the Reconquista, in the 13th century, and English cannon were first deployed in the Hundred Years' War, at the Battle of Crécy, in 1346.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Post by cooran »

This is another translation :

1. The lives of the Buddhas none can endanger. Safe may I be similarly.
2. Nothing can obstruct the perception of Buddha, the Blessed One, neither in the past, nor in the present, nor in the future.
3. Endowed with these three attributes is Buddha the Blessed One. Intellection precedes all His deeds, words and thoughts, which follow unservingly the light of that intellection.
4. Endowed with these six attributes is Buddha, the Blessed One. There is no lessening ever of His compassion, His teaching, His industry, His transcendent insight, His concentration, and His rapt contemplation of Nibbana.
5. Endowed with these twelve attributes is Buddha, the Blessed One. Never was there any kind of act or words in jest, in carelessness, in thoughtless haste; of any teaching left out for lack of comprehension; of the slightest sign of hesitation where the good of all creatures if concerned; of resorting to equanimity without due consideration. Endowed with these eighteen attributes is Buddha, the Blessed One; I worship Him and the six Buddhas before him.
6. The Teacher is incapable of any unwholesome deed or word or thought. No obstruction can ever impede the vision of Buddha, the Blessed One, neither in the past nor in the present, nor in the future. All the deeds, words and thoughts of Buddha the Blessed One are preceded by intellection, and they follow the light of that intellection. This Dharana paritta is incomparable, without equal in protecting all beings who have faith in it, supreme refuge of all who are in fear of the vicissitudes of Samsara, of supreme power in their protection.
7. This Dharana Paritta, Ananda, commit it to memory, recite it, ask to be elucidated on any point necessary. By its power one's body is not subject to death by poisoning, or drowning, or burning; one escapes all kinds of dangers; none can work ill on one though they try to contrive it one whole day, two whole days, three whole days, four whole days; madness will not overtake one, nor stupefaction; neither man nor spirits can harm one.
8. How powerful is this Dharana Paritta? It is as powerful as the seven suns that will burn up the universe it is like an iron armour that defies the power of supernatural beings; it can withstand the five types of enemies and guard against famine, wars and pestilences; to those mortal-born it gives assurance from dumbness, deafness, mental feebleness, and accidents such as falling from heights and moving objects; it cart bring new honours and positions and enhance old ones. In fact, Ananda, the power of this Dharana Paritta has been spoken of by seventy seven crores of previous Buddhas, Good will befall, evil will not; good repute will spread, not evil repute; happy state of mind, not suffering; propensity to good deeds, not bad deeds; good dreams, not bad dreams; good premonitions, not bad ones; even trees about to die will live again, and living trees will burgeon; such truly is the power of this Paritta.
9. In fact, Ananda, the power of this Dharana Paritta has been spoken of by ninety nine crores of previous Buddhas. One can be aware of ill being planned against one; weapons cannot injure one; charms which protect one gain in power; diseases are cured; unbearable and crippling maladies come not near; ropes cannot tie, manacles cannot lock, prisons cannot confine one. Thus have all Buddhas lauded the power of this Dharana Paritta and by the truth of this may I ever be protected by it and enjoy mental and physical well being and prosper exceedingly.
http://www.thisismyanmar.com/nibbana/dharana.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Dhammanucara

Post by Dhammanucara »

Thanks Chris for that translation. I just typed that translation out from a chanting book though. :tongue:

So, this paritta is actually canonized in the Pali Tipitaka or is it only in the Burmese Tipitaka? This is because, it seems to me that this paritta portrayed the Buddha like how the Mahayana portrayed the Buddha. Just my feeling though.

Metta,
Dhammanucara
Dhammanucara

Post by Dhammanucara »

Does this paritta exist in the Thai and Sri Lanka Tipitaka as well? Because I have never heard Thai or Sri Lankan monks recite this before.
tante_zoen

Post by tante_zoen »

It is spurious. Apocryphal texts appear everywhere -- even in Myanmar, the land which is claimed to present Theravada Buddhism in its "pristine form". Another popular spurious text is Parimittajāla Sutta.
Dhāraṇa Paritta Pāḷi

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato
sammāsambuddhassa

• Buddhānaṁ jīvitassa na sakkā kenaci antarāyo kātuṁ.
  • Buddhānaṁ sabbaññutaññāṇassa na sakkā kenaci antarāyo kātuṁ.
  • Buddānaṁ abhihaṭānaṁ catunnaṁ paccayānaṁ na sakkā kenaci antarāyo kātuṁ.
  • Buddhānaṁ asītiyānubyañjanānaṁ byāmappabhāya vā na sakkā kenaci antarāyo kātuṁ.
  Imesaṁ catunnaṁ na sakkā kenaci antarāyo kātuṁ, tathā me hotu.
  Atītaṁse buddhassa bhagavato appaṭihataṁ ñāṇaṁ, anāgataṁse buddhassa bhagavato appaṭihataṁ ñāṇaṁ.
  Imehi tīhi dhammehi samannāgatassa buddhassa bhagavato sabbaṁ kāyakammaṁ ñāṇapubbaṅgamaṁ ñāṇānuparivattaṁ, sabbaṁ vacīkammaṁ ñāṇapubbaṅgamaṁ ñāṇānuparivattaṁ, sabbaṁ manokammaṁ ñāṇapubbaṅgamaṁ ñāṇānuparivattaṁ.
  Imehi chahi dhammehi samannāgatassa buddhassa bhagavato natthi chandassa hāni, natthi dhammadesanāya hāni, natthi vīriyassa hāni, natthi vipassanāya hāni, natthi samādhissa hāni, natthi vimuttiyā hāni.
  Imehi dvādasahi dhammehi samannāgatassa buddhassa bhagavato natthi davā, natthi ravā, natthi aphuṭaṁ, natthi vegāyitattaṁ, natthi abyāvaṭamano, natthi appaṭisaṅkhānupekkhā. Imehi aṭṭhārasashi dhammehi samannāgatassa buddhassa bhagavato, namo sattanaṁ sammāsambuddhānaṁ.
  Natthi tathāgatassa kāyaduccaritaṁ, natthi tathāgatassa vacīduccaritaṁ, natthi tathāgatassa manoduccaritaṁ, natthi atitaṁse buddhassa bhagavato paṭihataṁ ñāṇaṁ, natthi anāgataṁse buddhassa bhagavato paṭihataṁ ñāṇaṁ, natthi paccuppannaṁse buddhassa bhagavato paṭihataṁ ñāṇaṁ, natthi sabbaṁ kāyakammaṁ ñāṇapubbaṅgamaṁ ñāṇaṁ nānuparivattaṁ, natthi sabbaṁ vacīkammaṁ ñāṇapubbaṅgamaṁ ñāṇaṁ nānuparivattaṁ, natthi sabbaṁ manokammaṁ ñāṇapubbaṅgamaṁ ñāṇaṁ nānuparivattaṁ, imaṁ dhāraṇaṁ amitaṁ asamaṁ sabba sattānaṁ tāṇaṁ lelaṁ saṁsārabhayabhītānaṁ aggaṁ mahātejaṁ.
  Imaṁ Ānanda dhāraṇaparittaṁ dhārehi vārehi paripucchāhi. Tassa kāye visaṁ na khadeyya, udake na laggeyya, aggi na ḍaheyya, nānābhayaviko, na ekāhārako, na dvihārako, na tihārako, na catuhārako, na ummattakaṁ, na mūḷhakaṁ, manussehi amanussehi na hiṁsakā.
  Taṁ dhāraṇaparittaṁ yathā katame, jālo mahājālo, jālitte mahājālitte, pugge mahāpugge, sampatte mahāsampatte, bhūtaṅgamhi tamaṅgalaṁ. Imaṁ kho panānanda dhāraṇaparittaṁ sattasattati sammāsambuddhakoṭīhi bhāsitaṁ, vatte avatte, gandhave agandhave, nome anome, seve aseve, kāye akāye, dhārane adhārane, illi milli, tilli milli, yorukkhe mahāyorukkhe, bhūtaṅgamhi tamaṅgalaṁ.
  Imaṁ kho panānanda dhāraṇaparittaṁ navanavutiyā sammāsambuddhakoṭīhi bhāsitaṁ, diṭṭhilā daṇḍilā mantilā rogilā kharalā dubbhila. Etena saccavajjena sotthi me hotu sabbadā.
Damian V

Post by Damian V »

hi this is a response I got about the Sutta from U Sarana

Parimittajāla Sutta – A Non-Canonical Protective Chanting
Parimittajāla Sutta does not appear anywhere in the Tipiṭaka, the Buddhist canon, however it appears in the set of Burmese protective chantings known as “Sirimaṅgalaparitta Pāḷi” as chanting no.30, and is often memorized along with the other recitals by the novices and monks who follow the official Burmese monastic curriculum.
This paritta, i.e. protective chanting, does not appear in the Sinhalese collections of chanting. I have discussed its history with Sayadaw U Vajirapāṇībhivaṃsa. Sayadaw explained to me, that at the time when the Burmese were in war with Thailand, the Burmese people saw Thais how they chant their protective chantings, and inspired by their texts, the Burmese people copied those texts for themselves. The chanting itself doesn’t seem to contradict any Pāḷi scripture in terms of its contents, however we need to consider the beginning – which refers to an actual place and situation during the Buddha’s life. If this sutta is authentic, why wouldn’t it be contained in the main Pāḷi scripture? Sayadaw suggested, that it might be an abridged version for the famous Āṭānāṭiya Sutta of Dīgha Nikāya 32, which contains this information in much expanded form, and also occurred in the Gijjhakūṭa Pabbata (Vultures’ Peak), in Rājagaha. The original Āṭānāṭiya Sutta is very long, and I therefore assume that this is a short, devotional version of the original chanting, prepared to be suitable for lay people, easy to memorize and remember.
Sayadaw U Vajirapāṇībhivaṃsa also told me, that it is not chanted during public occasions, nor is it a favorite chanting of monks. I learned that many scholar monks in fact reject this chanting and do not suggest their disciples to memorize it. However, it is commonly chanted by devoted lay people, once in the morning before leaving home – when going to work, and once again in the evening, before going to bed. The main benefit expected from this chanting is “protection” (there are five worldly dangers to protect oneself from, namely protection from dangers of fire, flood, thieves, kings, and mischievous heirs).
Original Pāḷi1
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato sammāsambuddhassa. Evaṃ me sutaṃ, ekaṃ samayaṃ bhagavā rājagahe viharati gijjhakūṭe pabbate.
supaṇṇena yakkhena, nāgena yakkhena, gandhabbena yakkhena,
English translation2
Namo ratanattayassa.
(Bhante, the Venerable Mahākassapa,) thus have I (Ānanda) heard.
the King of Garuḷa (heavenly birds), the King of dragons, the King of Gandhabba,

Tena kho pana samayena kumbhaṇḍena yakkhena, devena yakkhena, indena yakkhena, brahmena yakkhena,
On one occasion the Exalted One was residing at Vultures’ Peak mountain in Rājagaha. At that time the ogre Kumbhaṇḍa. the heavenly deity, Sakka, (the King of Tāvatiṃsa), the King of Brahmas,
pubbadisena yakkhena, aggidisena yakkhena, dakkhiṇadisena yakkhena, naratimadisena yakkhena, pacchimadisena yakkhena, pārappadisena yakkhena, uttaradisena yakkhena, esannadisena yakkhena, samuddadisena yakkhena, ākāsadisenayakkhena, bhūmadisena yakkhena
Pubbadisa the Guardian (of the East), Aggidisa the Guardian (of the South-Eastern), Dakkhinadisa the Guardian (of the South), Naratimadisa (the South-Western) Guard, Pacchimadisa (the Western) Guard, Pārappadisa (the North- Western) Guard, Uttaradisa (the Northern) Guard, Esannadisa (the North-Eastern) Guard, Samuddadisa (the Ocean) Guard, Ākāsadisa (the Sky) Guard, Bhūmadisa (the Earth) Guard. (These Nāga (dragons), Garuḷa (heavenly birds), Treasure- Keepers, Ogres, Heavenly Musicians, and Sakka, Brahmas, and deities should make a guard thus).
Appameyyo buddho, appameyyo dhammo, appameyyo saṃgho, bhayassantaṃ mahāmoggallānaṃ.
The Supremely Self-enlightened Buddha has numberless virtues; the Dhamma has numberless virtues; the Saṃgha has numberless virtues; the Venerable Mahāmoggallāna makes appeasement of all dangers.
Yattha yattha apādakā, yattha yattha dvepādā, yattha yattha catuppādā, yattha yattha bahuppādā, pādaandhaṃ ūruandhaṃ cakkhuandhaṃ mukhaandhaṃ jivhāandhaṃ.
There are footless living beings, bipeds, quadrupeds and multipeds that can give dangers. (Those Nāga (dragons), garuḷa (heavenly birds), Treasure Keepers, Ogres, Heavenly Musicians, and Sakka, Brahmas, and
1 Copied and slightly edited from“How to Live as a Good Buddhist”, (translated from original Burmese) by U Han Htay and U Chit Tin, Department for the Promotion and Propagation of the Sāsanā, 2002; vol.1, pp.188-189.
2 Copied and slightly edited from“How to Live as a Good Buddhist”, (translated from original Burmese) by U Han Htay and U Chit Tin, Department for the Promotion and Propagation of the Sāsanā, 2002; vol.1, pp.189-191.
Namo buddhassa, namo dhammassa, namo saṃghassa,
deities should make a guard and prevent dangers by not lifting their feet, not moving their tongues).
Highly Veneration to the Supremely Self-enlightened Buddha, the Dhammas and the Saṃgha the Noble Disciples.
Sakala lokadhātu mātāpitu buddha rakkhanaṃ kataṃ. Sakala lokadhātu mātā pitu dhamma rakkhanaṃ kataṃ. Sakala lokadhātu mātā pitu saṃgha rakkhanaṃ kataṃ. Rattiṃ vā divaṃ vā sadā maṃ rakkhantu.
I seek protection of the Supremely Self-enlightened Buddha, the Dhamma and the Saṃgha the Noble Disciples, as the superme parents of all the world.
Sabbedevatāya imassa parimittajālassa tejena imasmiṃ appākaṭaṃ sarīre ye keci upaddavā, ānubhāvena tejena imasmiṃ loke imasmiṃ jambudīpe, imasmiṃ pabbate imasmiṃ nagare imasmiṃ gehe sabbasatrū vinassantu, sabbe upaddavā vinassantūti.
(May these Nāga (dragons), garuḷa (heavenly birds), Treasure Keepers, Ogres, Heavenly Musicians, and Sakka, Brahmas, and deities make a guard for every day and night and protect me who has already sought protection of the Supremely Self- enlightened Buddha, the Dhamma and the Saṃgha the Noble Disciples).
By the power of all deities, Brahmas, and this Parimittajāla Sutta, the prominent and unprominent numerous dangers may all disappear from my body.
By the power of all Devas Brahmas and this Parimittajāla Sutta, may all enmities and all dangers disappear from this world, this Universe, this Jambudīpa Island, this mountain, this town, this dwelling-house.
Parimittajāla suttaṃ niṭṭhitaṃ.
Here ends the Discourse of Parimittajāla Sutta.