Server migration Sept 22

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Mkoll

Re: Server migration Sept 22

Post by Mkoll »

I like the blues because it's easier on the eyes. Though it's not very Theravada Buddhist colored. Is it possible to give users the option of choosing the background color scheme from a list of options?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings mkoll,

There used to be. When I get a moment to look around, I'll see if this software version still has it. First, we will need to find out where the original color scheme has gone.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

The website is also much, much faster. Definitely an upgrade from the servers it was on before:

Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Congratulations on successful common travel in time and space!

Evidently, the warp engine has meddled with some molecular links in the bodies:

https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6114

so the links lead to Great Unknown which can't be found anywhere.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Hmm... this is not good.

It would seem that a forward slash after the "com" has disappeared.

Code: Select all

https://dhammawheel.comviewtopic.php/?f=23&t=29467
If we could do a replace all instances of "comviewtopic" with "com/viewtopic" it could fix it?

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:05 am Greetings,

Hmm... this is not good.

If we could do a replace all instances of "comviewtopic" with "com/viewtopic" it could fix it?

Metta,
So that is why Safari could not find you. I just re-searched and now see the 'com/' is back. :buddha2:
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Colors are back to more traditional-Theravada-look. And it helps me tell the 3 forums apart with the different colors.

(you might have to hit refresh on your browser to see the new colors)

And in honor of the new changes, I have changed my username to DNS which are my initials and also is an acronym for Domain Name Server. :tongue:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

DNS wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:39 pm Colors are back to more traditional-Theravada-look. And it helps me tell the 3 forums apart with the different colors.

(you might have to hit refresh on your browser to see the new colors)
Well DNS, the muddy old colors are only on the top page, so the light & airy blues still remain elsewhere - good enough. :twothumbsup:
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

It is great that the secondary color of the forum (used as background for subforum titles) was changed from yellow to light blue. That's what the chosing-color manual recommands. DW is now almost as color-suited as the sister site dharmawheel. I still feel a little strange due to the change but we will get used with it in time. It's better this way.

I don't know what to say about the blue background to forum posts, we will see
Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:05 am Greetings,

Hmm... this is not good.

Metta,
DW still has a problem with trailing slashes that it also had before:
This website returns page content with or without a trailing slash on the URLs. Search engines might see these as separate pages with duplicate content which they could penalise for. Close recommendations
Use a 301 redirect or a canonical meta tag to force search engines to see the correct version.
This is very easy to fix. If there is no particular reason for having this problem then it should be fixed because it causes duplicate content on google and is bad for indexing.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Regarding colors: It's a test of equanimity. :tongue:

No matter what colors are used someone will complain; it's the nature of a large group. Perhaps some future software version will have that option where individual users can choose their own color schemes. When we moved to the new server, we updated the software to the latest version, so regular updates do occur, I imagine color choices will be something available in a future update.

Regarding links: the / was missing from some redirect links and this has been fixed. You might need to clear your cache to see the fix. Or you can use a different browser and see it is fixed.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Mkoll wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 am The website is also much, much faster. Definitely an upgrade from the servers it was on before:
Yes, definitely a better, faster server. And it will be a little faster for us, since the server is located in northern California. It will be a little faster for those who are on a computer near northern California.
Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

No matter what colors are used someone will complain; it's the nature of a large group. Perhaps some future software version will have that option where individual users can choose their own color schemes. When we moved to the new server, we updated the software to the latest version, so regular updates do occur, I imagine color choices will be something available in a future update.
It is scientifically proven that certain color combinations are better than others. It's the only important thing I learned at the painting class in school. Best color combinations are made from a primary color plus it's complementary color. There are 3 primary colors, red-yellow-blue, and we need to match a primary color with the color resulted from combining the other 2 primary colors. And we also know how much % of every color is needed. They are called the "complementary contrast" - best contrast in the world.

Red 50% - Green 50%
Blue 66% - Orange 33%
Purple 75% - Yellow 25%

The ugliest color combinations in the world are made out of combining 2 primary colors: Blue - Red, Blue - Yellow, Red - Yellow - these ones we can tell with the naked eye are super ugly.

Things are infinitely more complicated than this. There are a million other contrasts and smaller rules. Not to mention every color or contrast is linked with a particular emotion and you need to chose the one most suited. For example blue = proffesional, purple = rich, orange = joyfulness, energy. Green = nature, etc. But we don't need to know these samaller rules if we are not painters. Only thing that is useful to know in life is this complementary contrast, the most important of them all. And this orange-blue that we have now is theoretically better than the old orange-yellow even though it doesn't transmit as much energy as it used to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementary_colors
Last edited by Circle5 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

DNS wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:33 pm
Mkoll wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 am The website is also much, much faster. Definitely an upgrade from the servers it was on before:
Yes, definitely a better, faster server. And it will be a little faster for us, since the server is located in northern California. It will be a little faster for those who are on a computer near northern California.
No wonder it's so fast for me.

:coffee:
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Hey, I'm getting this with Firefox. i had to click a link to bypass it and add an exception.

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.dhammawheel.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites

www.dhammawheel.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for dhammawheel.com

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN