A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Just saw it a couple hours ago, and if I didn't have to work tomorrow I'd be at the theater again. It's absolutely spectacular in 3-D and it's a lot more than just an eye-candy special effects movie.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Calahand

Re: Avatar (the movie)

Post by Calahand »

I liked the "respect for nature" and "All beings are connected - :quote: idea of the movie. :smile:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Here's a contrary view (I think - I have not read it in detail because I'm seeing the movie tonight...)

http://lefarkins.blogspot.com/2009/12/i ... acist.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta
Mike
notself

Post by notself »

We saw the movie in 3D and enjoyed it. The most accurate review quote is "Avatar is Dances with Wolves in Space". It is filled with cliche' but it doesn't matter. We didn't go to see great art. We went to see a fun movie. I loved the critters and the plant life.
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Also saw it last night in 3D and it was definitely spectacular, wonderfully entertaining, and cleverly played on the emotions (as did Titanic, etc). Which is, of course, is the aim of theatre...

Nice to see our locally-developed CGI (from the Lord of the Rings movies) taken to another level - not just a Gollum, but a tribe of CGI-assisted actors... And bits of the CGI landscape certainly had the New Zealand feel... Or perhaps I'm just biased... :thinking:

Metta
Mike