Theosophy

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Coëmgenu

Re: Theosophy

Post by Coëmgenu »

Santi253 wrote:
Coëmgenu wrote: Even if Amitâbha was a Chinese word, Chinese EBTs were not translated from Sanskrit, thus the amṛta --> amitābha confusion she suggests is even more unfounded.
I italicized the part I agreed with:
Santi253 wrote:
The original conception of the ideal of an impersonal divine light has been anthropomorphized with time.
http://theosophy.org/Blavatsky/Theosoph ... egloss.htm
Which is perfectly fine. The etymologies presented, however, are... well... "interesting".
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Santi253

Post by Santi253 »

Coëmgenu wrote:The etymologies presented, however, are... well... "interesting".
Yeah, which is one of the reasons I no longer consider her an authority. She frequently did that with etymologies throughout her writings. Jordan Maxwell does the same thing, her modern-day follower.
Non-violence is the greatest virtue, cowardice the greatest vice. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.matthewsatori.tumblr.com
form

Post by form »

According to Madame Blavatsky, the Buddha only founded the institutional religion of Buddhism, while the real truth is the esoteric doctrine which she called "Bodhism."
Those information is to be realised by direct knowledge based on the nikayas. And her knowledge is not complete. Did she ever claim she has psychic powers? Many other Buddhism also have secret teachings.

But, she and leadbeaters are prolific writers.
chownah

Post by chownah »

David N. Snyder wrote:Image

Apparently Blavatsky was the first Western woman to officially take the 5 precepts. She might even be the first (Western woman) overall (official or unofficial).
So is this her buddhist membership card?
chownah
form

Post by form »

chownah wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:Image

Apparently Blavatsky was the first Western woman to officially take the 5 precepts. She might even be the first (Western woman) overall (official or unofficial).
So is this her buddhist membership card?
chownah
There is a theosophy society in Singapore that anyone can join. I am not sure if they give you a membership card.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

chownah wrote: So is this her buddhist membership card?
chownah
Yes. :tongue:

If she considered herself a Buddhist, then she was one. As I mentioned in another thread, being Buddhist doesn't make one a Buddha or even mean that one is good or advanced in any way.
form

Post by form »

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Not too much is known about Blavatsky's Hindu (not Tibetan) guru, but here is a little sketch about him:

http://theosophy.wiki/en/Morya

The other main guru of Blavatsky and other theosophists of her era was called 'Koot Hoomi', again a Hindu, not a Tibetan.

http://theosophy.wiki/en/Koot_Hoomi
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Here's a contemporary account ... http://www.iapsop.com/ssoc/1884__lillie ... veiled.pdf
It's a scanned typescript so I can't easily quote chunks of it, but it certainly makes fascinating reading.

:reading:
Kim
form

Post by form »

Will wrote:Not too much is known about Blavatsky's Hindu (not Tibetan) guru, but here is a little sketch about him:

http://theosophy.wiki/en/Morya

The other main guru of Blavatsky and other theosophists of her era was called 'Koot Hoomi', again a Hindu, not a Tibetan.

http://theosophy.wiki/en/Koot_Hoomi
The descriptions of his looks like blue eyes and golden complexion reminds me of certain descriptions of the Buddha in the nikaya.
Santi253

Post by Santi253 »

Will wrote:Not too much is known about Blavatsky's Hindu (not Tibetan) guru...
As has repeatedly been demonstrated in this thread, Madame Blavatsky claimed to be in contact with a Tibetan guru. The Mahatma Letters also claimed to be from a Tibetan guru.

There is no evidence, as far as I've seen, to support Madame Blavatsky's and Theosophy's claim to have somehow been connected to Tibetan gurus. Ignoring a false or unsubstantiated claim doesn't make it go away.
Non-violence is the greatest virtue, cowardice the greatest vice. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.matthewsatori.tumblr.com
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Count on Kim to find someone hostile to HPB and theosophy and someone who never met her gurus or Blavatsky (I think).

There are plenty more out there from her day, usually churchy folk or secularists.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Santi253 wrote:
Will wrote:Not too much is known about Blavatsky's Hindu (not Tibetan) guru...
As has repeatedly been demonstrated in this thread, Madame Blavatsky claimed to be in contact with a Tibetan guru. The Mahatma Letters also claimed to be from a Tibetan guru.
Pardon my frankness Santi, but you have presented only assertions regarding Blavatsky.

The Mahatma Letters were from the two HINDU gurus I mentioned earlier.

HPB knew many adepts in a bodhisattva brotherhood and some were Tibetans (along with other nationalities), but her primary sources of teachings were from the two Indian gurus.
Last edited by retrofuturist on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Frankness which violated TOS has been edited out.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Part of the reason for Olcott & Blavatsky going to Ceylon - under the Gunananda entry:
The Pānaduravādaya, [the record of the debate] was published in English in the book Buddhism and Christianity Face to Face in 1878. This book inspired Colonel HENRY STEEL OLCOTT and Madame HELENA PETROVNA BLAVATSKY, founders of the Theosophical Society, to travel to Ceylon, where they played active roles in the revival of Buddhism.
Excerpt From: Lopez, Donald S., Jr., Buswell, Robert E., Jr. Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Will wrote:Count on Kim to find someone hostile to HPB and theosophy and someone who never met her gurus or Blavatsky (I think).

There are plenty more out there from her day, usually churchy folk or secularists.
I'm just looking for a bit of balance, Nicholas, since you provide none at all: all of your sources in this thread are from within Theosophy, just as all of your sources in the Euthanasia thread are implacably opposed to euthanasia. If we are to have a useful discussion - which is the purpose of the board - we need both sides and (IMO) you need to argue your side rather than just plonk links and quotes in front of us.

:namaste:
Kim