Questions about basic breath meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
mikenz66

Re: Questions about basic breath meditation

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Collective,
Collective wrote:People talk about 'picking' a teacher like they are falling out of trees.

The reality for some is that they ain't any around for many miles
If it's me you're referring to, perhaps I wasn't clear. Let me elaborate: If you have some access (even just occasion) to a real-life teacher you trust then I suggest to follow her/his instructions. If not, I suggest following the written/recorded/etc instructions of a teacher you have some trust in.

If you are a beginner and you read instructions from a variety of teachers (e.g. for the sake of argument: Ajahn Brahm, Mahasi Sayadaw, Ajahn Buddhadassa), you'll find that they appear to be contradicting each other. [If you look more closely you'll find that they are taking different approaches, and in the process emphasising different aspects.] Therefore, I feel that to avoid confusion it is helpful to pick one approach and stick with it for a few months, or preferably longer... Of course, it may make sense to read material from several teachers who take the same approach. For example, Mahasi Sayadaw, U Pandita, Joseph Goldstein, and Patrick Kearney teach a similar approach to each other. Ajahn Brahm, Pa Auk Sayadaw, and Shaila Catherine teach in reasonably compatible ways. But mixing up the Mahasi-style instructions with the Jhana-oriented instructions from Ajahn Brahm is going to be really confusing for a beginner.

Metta
Mike
Collective

Post by Collective »

My tantrum was not aimed at you Mike, or anyone in particular, just the fact that there's not a single teacher (I know of) around for many a mile

But the advice here (and in this particular post) has been very encouraging

Thank You :)
heraclito27

Post by heraclito27 »

Laurens friend thanks for the tips, what you say of "breath as a delicate" creature make sense to me.
I've got valuable information and I have time to apply, thanks to Dhamma Wheel citizens.
Laurens wrote:Some reccomend "following" the breath, rather than fixing your attention on one spot. Buddhadāsa Bhikkhu, for example in his book 'Mindfulness with Breathing' suggests the following:
We first develop and train sati (mindfulness) by using a technique called "following," or "chasing." We imagine the in-breath starting from the tip of the nose and ending at the navel. We imagine the out-breath starting at the navel and ending at the tip of the nose. In between those two points is the space through which the breath runs in and out. We contemplate with sati the properties of this movement in and out, from the tip of the nose to the navel and back again. Back and forth.Do not allow for any gaps or lapses.This is the first lesson: contemplate the breath with sati.
There are so many different interpretations of the Ānāpānasati Sutta, most of which claim to be the 'true method' as taught by the Buddha himself. I think it is best to follow the technique which you find works for you personally. No one really knows which of the many methods (if any) is the actual technique laid down by the Buddha.

Things that helped me were to follow the technique taught by a particular teacher that you admire, this is useful, because if you admire the teacher it can inspire faith that their meditation technique will work in taking you beyond the five hinderances.

Also before you dismiss a particular method its important to know that the chances are, rather than the method being the problem, it is probably more likely to be your approach to that method. If, for example you have little faith in the technique, you think that it won't work, then the chances are it really won't! If you stick at a particular method zealously and faithfully, after a while it will achieve results.

Another thing that helped me immensely was to view the breath as a delicate creature, if you hold on to it too tightly you will hurt it and if you are too loose with your grip it will slip away. I bring this to mind at the start of my meditation, just so that I treat my meditation object in the right way. To me (maybe I am wrong) it seems that you are holding the breath too tightly.

Try not to make things too complicated in your mind. Don't think about it, just breathe! You really have two things in meditation; paying attention to the breath, and bringing your attention back to the breath (once you've noticed that its wondered off somewhere).
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

heraclito27 wrote:Laurens friend thanks for the tips, what you say of "breath as a delicate" creature make sense to me.
I've got valuable information and I have time to apply, thanks to Dhamma Wheel citizens.
Not a problem at all :) Whilst you should aim to cut down on thinking in the core of meditation practice, it can be helpful to guide yourself into the right frame of mind to begin your sitting. Thinking of that little analogy about the breath being a delicate creature helps me into the right frame of mind. I also remind myself to discard the past and the future so as to focus on the present.

There's nothing wrong with doing something like this at the start of meditation. "Telling the driver where you want to go" as Ajahn Brahm puts it, but he also reminds us that the driver will chuck us out if we keep constantly reminding them!

Best of luck with your practice

Laurens
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn