Seeker not knowing what they are seeking!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Swatantra

Seeker not knowing what they are seeking!

Post by Swatantra »

Hi everyone. I have very recently found Dhamma wheel and it has been very helpful, although I will admit that I do not understand most of the language yet. I have only recently become interested in Buddhism (along with Philosophical Tasoism) as a way to become a better person. I have been seeking 'my path' for what seems like most of my life, and I now feel like I have found it in Buddhism (although I am disinclined to call myself a Buddhist).

The only things I have learnt so far are from Zen ( as it is very available) so my meditation has only gone so far as mindful breathing, so I am very keen to learn more techniques.
I have put off joining a forum due to the fact there are so many different schools of Buddhism and I fail to find one that I agree with wholeheartedly, as there always seems to be some religious ritual, worship and dogma associated with it. I have been to several Buddhist countries and it put me off Buddhism (this was before I started to look into it more), but now I understand that Buddhism may be different wherever you go due to cultural differences and upbringing. I realise now that if you study the Pali Canon for yourself then you will derive your own understanding, free of other cultures ideas or rules.

I hope to learn from people here and develop a deeper understanding of Dhamma and the suttas. I have already seen some very interesting debates and I look forward in joining in some of them.
Before I post any questions, I will firstly apologise for any strange or stupid questions!

Hope you are having a great day :heart:
"One is not noble who has injures living beings.
One is called 'noble' because they are harmless to all living beings."

:heart: :yingyang:

"Silent in body, silent in speech,
Silent in the mind, without defilement,
Blessed is silence is the sage.
One is truely washed of evil."
paul

Re: Seeker not knowing what they are seeking!

Post by paul »

Welcome to DW and rather than going to the suttas themselves initially, I recommend "The Noble Eightfold Path", by Bikkhu Bodhi.
Swatantra

Post by Swatantra »

Hi Paul,
I will take you up on that recommendation, thank you. Where would I be able to find it as an EBook, do you know? I cannot find it on Amazon.
Thank you :heart:

bodom

Post by bodom »

Swatantra wrote:Hi Paul,
I will take you up on that recommendation, thank you. Where would I be able to find it as an EBook, do you know? I cannot find it on Amazon.
Thank you :heart:
The Noble Eightfold Path: Way to the End of Suffering
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... toend.html

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
BasementBuddhist

Post by BasementBuddhist »

What level of study have you done? Do you have a firm grasp on the basics that all Buddhist traditions share? I.E. 4 noble truths, Noble 8fold path, 5 aggregates, ECT.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:buddha2:
User156079

Post by User156079 »

Welcome!
Second i want to advice having some sort of association with a teacher, not just studying on your own. Look for a teacher who is humble, seemingly free from greed and delusion, well-spoken and confident, one who is approachable for questioning. Association with someone who teaches true Dhamma is a factor of stream entry.
"With regard to external factors, I don't envision any other single factor like friendship with admirable people as doing so much for a monk in training, who has not attained the goal but remains intent on the unsurpassed safety from bondage. A monk who is a friend with admirable people abandons what is unskillful and develops what is skillful."

A monk who is a friend
to admirable people
— who's reverential, respectful,
doing what his friends advise —
mindful, alert,
attains step by step
the ending of all fetters.
Swatantra

Post by Swatantra »

BasementBuddhist wrote:What level of study have you done? Do you have a firm grasp on the basics that all Buddhist traditions share? I.E. 4 noble truths, Noble 8fold path, 5 aggregates, ECT.
I have a grasp on the 4 noble truths, the noble eightfold path and five precepts. I have an app called pocket Buddha which has the verses of the Pali Canon in Pali and English. I am trying to read books but as I had no idea which school of Buddhism would be best for me, I did not know where to go from there. I have down loaded all the books from the Thai forest monastery website, so I will try and read those as well as the book that Paul kindly recommended.
I am still very much lost but I have learnt a lot already just being on here.

[name redacted by admin], I would love to find a teacher but I am unsure as to how to go about doing that. How does one do that? Also I have been on the road for a few years, so I am not sure I would have been able to until now. I will be returning to my home country for a couple of years maybe, so I can try then, although I may not remain in one place.

Thank you every one for your warm welcome :heart:

BasementBuddhist

Post by BasementBuddhist »

It sounds like you're making great strides. You've already got some great recommendations, the only thing I might add is a decent biography of the Buddha, if you haven't read one yet. Siddhartha's life can be pretty inspiring if you dig deep and look at it from a truly human perspective.

Buddhism is funny in the way that the second you think you've got it all figured out, it flips on you and you realize you know nothing at all about it. I personally feel like you will have many of these "new beginning" type moments. That's just how it goes.
Swatantra

Post by Swatantra »

Thanks :-) I just have to take it one step at a time. I am the type of person who jumps in both feet first but I think that if I do that I will become too overwhelmed. There is a lot more to study than I first anticipated!
:heart:

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

although I will admit that I do not understand most of the language yet
Wellcome to Dhamma Wheel.

This is my standard recommendation for beginners:
a)Read BuddhismCourse. (Take about 12 hours to read and give you a good idea about the teaching)
http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/PDF_BuddhismCourse/

b)Print a copy of this Dhamma Chart and refer to it while studding Buddhism.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16785

c) Read Buddha’s Teaching by Narada. Start from chapter 15.
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf

d) While you reading above texts please listen to the following Dhamma Talk by Joseph Goldstein.
http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/96/talk/6162/
e) Start reading Sutta.
Good starting point would be to read Bikkhu Bodhi’s “In the Buddha’s Word”
Then read Sutta Central. Start from Majjhima Nikaya. https://suttacentral.net/mn
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Swatantra

Post by Swatantra »

Thank you everyone for your warm greetings and recommendations :heart: