Hello from Western Canada

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
chicka-Dee

Hello from Western Canada

Post by chicka-Dee »

Hello everyone,

My name is Dee and I live in southern Alberta, Canada. I am quite new to Buddhism, and started practicing Vipassana about 8 months ago, and feel as if I've 'come home'. I'm learning about the Dhamma, and am still sorting through the various traditions and teachings, but I like to stay open to any and all ideas about spirituality. I've become very passionate about spirituality and understanding myself and the world, and have been intensely enjoying my journey this past year. I look forward to getting to know many of you and learning about the Dhamma and having many lively discussions.

With Metta,

Dee
Cittasanto

Re: Hello from Western Canada

Post by Cittasanto »

Nice to meet you
Welcome to DhammaWheel
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DhammaDan

Post by DhammaDan »

Welcome! :namaste: Your path sounds very similar to mine, as I too see a spiritual life to be of vital importance.
Hope you enjoy yourself and learn a lot with us!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Welcome Dee
I hope you feel at home here at Dhamma Wheel
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hello Dee,

Welcome, and thanks for joining us. :smile:

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
sherubtse

Post by sherubtse »

Hi Dee.

Nice to see another Canadian posting to these forums. :clap:

There are lots of great people here, and I'm sure that if you dig in, you'll learn lots.

With metta,
Sherubtse
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings and welcome, Dee.

:hello:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

:hello:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

chicka-Dee,

Hello and greetings! We have a lot in common (except that I live in Michigan, north of Canada :D ). I've been practicing about six months and feel much the same as you describe.

AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
chicka-Dee

Post by chicka-Dee »

Wow! Thank you everyone so much for the very warm welcome :thanks:

AdvaitaJ, bodom_bad_boy, jcsuperstar, retrofuturist, sherubtse, Dhammanando, Ben, DhammaDan, and Manapa! I look forward to getting to know you all.

I must admit, I'm not even sure where to start. So far I've just been looking around a little. So it may take me awhile to really get started. I need to find my comfort zone, somewhere, first.

AdvaitaJ.. Michigan is practically in Canada, lol.. not much difference, really. Only I'm further west (just a hop, skip and jump from Montana). Maybe I'll follow you around a bit for the first while, since we are both beginners :)

And Sherubtse, it's nice to meet a fellow Canadian here. And to see there are people here from all over the world.. this just adds so much richness to have people from all walks of life. I feel such a good vibe, here.