License Agreements/ Terms of Use

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Tom

License Agreements/ Terms of Use

Post by Tom »

Does checking a box while installing a computer program, that says "I agree to the Terms of Use" violate the fourth precept, if you didn't actually read the Terms of Use?
Khalil Bodhi

Re: License Agreements/ Terms of Use

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Tricky one...I always think of this and do consider it breaking a precept despite the fact that no one reads EULAs etc.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

ccharles wrote:Does checking a box while installing a computer program, that says "I agree to the Terms of Use" violate the fourth precept, if you didn't actually read the Terms of Use?
if you are agreeing to abide by the terms of use, not reading them yet agreeing to keep them is not a breach of the precept as you aren't saying you won't try to keep them, nor are you asked if you have read them (in your example).
If you are asked if you have read them then not reading them yet indicating you have would breach the precept.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

I used to just click Yes. I never read those End User Agreements. And now Microsoft owns my kidneys, and the devil owns my soul. :cry:
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
SDC

Post by SDC »

I don't think so. You're agreeing without reading because reading is hard and boring and you want what they are offering right now and could care less even if you promised your first born. Who knows what I owe half these major corporations. :tongue:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

It is impossible to read and understand those agreements unless you are a lawyer. We all assume that we understand the content based on our expectation and we are doing the right thing. I don’t think I am breaking the five precepts.
But I broke my bank once!!!!.
I signed a document sent by the bank without realising that I have mortgaged my house to them!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

In my opinion, agreeing to EULA by saying you've read it is not a lie because neither party expects the claim to be truthful; it's a mutually agreed-upon fiction that exists for legal purposes, not a declaration of truth.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
indianromeo

Post by indianromeo »

I am struggling with this. :weep:

It seems, honestly, like my entire life I've just moved too fast, and now the EULA thing is a horrible reminder of the vast network of lies I'm living. I wish these things weren't so long. What's worse? They change these without notifying you, and you are deemed to have "agreed." :weep:

Does anyone have a point of view? My plan is, now, to take *way* more time to read every single EULA I encounter and this means a lot less "flitting" about with different software applications. :weep:

Honestly this feels like quitting meat, just a feeling of anxiety and dread. I guess that's what behavioral change entails? Sigh.